PDA

View Full Version : I little help please

'82starsandstripes
05-02-2008, 10:41 AM
I have a 1983 s&s powerslot, 351, velvet drive, etc. My question is, can someone please give the steps on transmissions drain and fill/filter, and fuel/water seperator? Fluid types and capacities? Thanks alot

gigem75
05-08-2008, 02:53 PM
They don't have drain plugs, the messy way is to unhook the cooler line at the bottom right of the trans and let it drain out the bottom of the boat. You might get it out by one of those pumps that will reach down the dipstick hole and pump it out from there. Not really sure how much you will get out. A complete change will require about 3 quarts. ALWAYS fill and run then CHECK again after the cooler has a chance to fill! I use the mercon but any good atf will work. The 152 reduction on the back is always below anywhere you drain it and quite a bit stays in behind the reverse piston so you never get it all out on any one drain.

ted shred
05-08-2008, 10:47 PM
I have always put a bucket on the ground under the drain hole in the middle of the hull. Then I remove the bottom cooler line. There should be a strainer inside the tranny at this fitting. You can pull it out with your finger to look for debris, etc.
On my 83 PS the fuel water seperator is on the right side of th fuel tank as you face the back seat. Unscrew the large panel behind the back seat to get at it. Sometimes it is hard to get off. Ihave had the best luck using a small strap wrench.

'82starsandstripes
05-10-2008, 10:47 AM
thanks alot guys. How often should the fuel/water seperator be changed?

ted shred
05-12-2008, 11:38 PM
I do mine once every season, except last year . Last year I did it twice due to some bad gas I encountered.