PDA

View Full Version : Battery Problem

stuartmcnair
05-01-2008, 11:15 PM
Ever since I got my boat back and put in the new optima battery something is draining it while it sits. If I charge it up everything is good to go and it has no problems over a weekend. Once I leave it sitting for a week the battery is drained. I only have the standard cables on it with an additional wire on the wingnut for the stereo. Just a CD player with four speakers and it is off with the face removed.

My questions are, how on earth do I figure out what is draining the battery? Could I have bought a bad optima? Do I look into a battery switch and just turn it off and not worry about what is draining it?

Thanks.

JimN
05-01-2008, 11:47 PM
Did you have a thread about this before?

If you have a test light, you can easily find the problem. A digital multi-meter will work, too. Remove the battery + and set the meter to Current, or connect the test light to the battery cable and the battery post. If there's a drain, the light will shine and the stronger the drain is, the brighter the light will be. The meter will indicate the amount of drain, too. If it's about 350mA, you probably have a bad bridge rectifier in the alternator. With only a test light, this can be tested by removing the charging lead from the alternator- MAKE SURE TO TAPE THE TERMINAL SO IT CAN'T SHORT TO GROUND.

If that's not the cause, remove fuses, one at a time. When you find the one that causes the draw, you can deal with it.

Don't forget to look at the light in the storage compartment.

jimmer2880
05-02-2008, 07:46 AM
......Don't forget to look at the light in the storage compartment.

I almost for got about that one. :o I can't remember how long it took him to figure out it was his light that was killing his battery.

jrcarte78
05-02-2008, 11:59 AM
I bought an optima last spring and the first one I got was bad.....

Don't rule out getting a bum battery.....

But, on the other hand the bad one I got would not hold a charge at all.

HDAVIS
05-02-2008, 08:29 PM
I had the same problem once. It was the alternater. There is a certain amount of current drain from the computer, but not that much in a week.

uawaterskier
05-02-2008, 09:38 PM
my boat has the same problem I just pull the wing nuts and cables off when the boat isn't being used. Mine is the radio that drains it.

OhioX14
05-02-2008, 09:43 PM
I installed a Master Switch and just turn it off when we're not using the boat. This assumes it's on a trailer or on a lift that you can trust because you'll need the battery for the bilge pumps if it's in the water.

stuartmcnair
05-03-2008, 11:30 AM
I think after my next outing (tomorrow) I am going to pull the stereo wires and see if that is it. If not, I'm going for the switch option. No storage compartment light, no computer and no problem with the alternator as far as I can tell.

Thanks all.

coz
05-03-2008, 11:56 AM
I think after my next outing (tomorrow) I am going to pull the stereo wires and see if that is it. If not, I'm going for the switch option. No storage compartment light, no computer and no problem with the alternator as far as I can tell.

Thanks all.

Do you have a clock in the dash? If I don't turn off my battery switch the clock will drain my battery. Just thinking :D

stuartmcnair
05-03-2008, 11:46 PM
Do you have a clock in the dash? If I don't turn off my battery switch the clock will drain my battery. Just thinking :D

c'mon now... ;)