PDA

View Full Version : looking to upgrade

btk05x9pens
05-01-2008, 10:23 AM
got an 05 x9 loaded, but looking to upgrade. me and my dad own the boat together, i board he skis. i would like to get into a v-drive but he wants to stay direct drive. i was just wondering what the wakes looked like behind the x2 for skiing. also what the wakes look like behind and x14 for boarding. right now i have factory ballast plus an extra fat sac in my rear compartment. it seems as though there is not much room for extra ballast in the x14. any opinions would be greatly appreciated...

russlars
05-01-2008, 11:31 AM
How about the 214? Looks like a great all around package to me. I hear that the wake is pretty good for slalom. Not sure about the wakeboarding wake.

88 PS190
05-01-2008, 12:13 PM
Bigger boat won't significantly improve your boarding, but will hurt skiing quickly.

From what I've seen in boarders, those who go big, can go big off anything. Those who don't, well it won't matter if their boat pitches massive wakes, they aren't up to the challenge, with the skier it doesn't take much to really get a hit.

Message being a V-drive is going to be significantly worse for him.

btk05x9pens
05-01-2008, 12:32 PM
I Go Pretty Big In The X9. Im Looking For Consistency From My Wake...

2RLAKE
05-01-2008, 12:38 PM
i sold my '04 X9 last year and have an '08 X14 ... much better ski boat and barefoot boat. As for wakeboarding, it does have a little smaller wake, but as 88 PS190 said, my nephew can still hit almost all of his flips off my X14 as he an off his X30

Dutch
05-01-2008, 03:30 PM
I purchased a X14, kids and wife wanted to wake board and I wanted to ski. I am used to the wake from a 87 PS, the X14 is not as good but is alot better than any v drive I have been behind. All the wake boarders give me lots of advice for tuning the wake when they are boarding. Moving people from one side to the other or to the back or upfront. Once they are good boarders they know what they want with the wake and a few adjustments make them happy. I'm not a wakeboarder, I've tried a few times but I watch all the boarders behind the boat doing some pretty incredible stuff, they always say the wake is great.

btk05x9pens
05-01-2008, 09:24 PM
like i said i have a 400lb fat sac in the rear to go along with factory ballast in my x9 plus some lead up front. i am constantly directing people in the boat.i know about weight distribution. my concern is the x-14s lack of room for extra weight. has anyone surfed behind the 14?

and anyone know what the wake is like behind the x2. i know it wont be as good as my x9, no v bottoms are as good as a flat bottom. my bddies supra has a trim plate on it that really knocks down the wake at slalom speeds.

cdawake
05-01-2008, 11:23 PM
How about the 214? Looks like a great all around package to me. I hear that the wake is pretty good for slalom. Not sure about the wakeboarding wake.

214s are hard to find unless you order them from the factory ;)

SteveO
05-02-2008, 12:39 AM
Question #1

Is your dad's skiing in the course?
If NO, the X2 with the wake plate is about the same as the 209 - X9 wake for skiing.

Add a fly high kit (or the 3 sacs) to the X2 for boarding and you have a slice of heaven. The new X 2 weighted with a trim plate is probably as close as you are going to get for the ultimate cross over.

russlars
05-02-2008, 01:24 AM
214s are hard to find unless you order them from the factory ;)
As of 2 weeks ago Cope & McPhetres in Sumner, WA had one in their showroom for sale.:)

jkski
05-02-2008, 07:23 AM
X14 does not have much room, if any, for additional ballast on the floor. Pretty much the existing ballast takes up your storage area under the rear seats and while the wrap around is great, it leaves you with little room for additional bags without stepping all over them. I took some pictures of the wake at slalom speeds in a course last year and I think they are still up on www.bhmtrilakes.com.
X2 is actually a very good recreational ski wake, expecially when the "Attitude Adjustment Plate (aka Trim Tab)" is added. I would not want to try and pull a world record slalom pass behind it, but I've skied it several times and it is very nice for a 20ft. V-drive boat. The wakeboarding wake, as othes have mentioned, is very nice and there is plenty of room to ad additional ballast if one so desires.
Hope this helps.

btk05x9pens
05-02-2008, 03:39 PM
thanks for the posts those last few were exactly what i was lookin for. no he does not run the course. more recreation. i am a more picky and more advanced boarder than he is a skier so im goona look into a ride in an x2

bbrannon
05-02-2008, 04:20 PM
I own an X2 with "attitue adjustment plate" and love the benefits it gives for both skiing and boarding.

east tx skier
05-02-2008, 04:20 PM
Try an X1 as well. Original X star hull and former tournament approved ski hull (when it was a direct drive).

2RLAKE
05-02-2008, 05:54 PM
X14 ... you will actually be surprised at the storage ... at first I was not happy but then everything i needed found a home ... you just cannot be a pack rat

X14 is one of the best boats ever!

btk05x9pens
05-02-2008, 06:19 PM
the x1 has no chance. i like the hard ballast tanks and the new dashes. the x1 is a great boat but i passed on that when we got the x9 for multiple reasons. now if they revamped it a bit i would def. consider it

moleson10
05-02-2008, 07:12 PM
How about a 197? I know it may sound crazy but with the rear seat in the upper position a 750 lb sac fits quite nicely. I'm not much of a boarder but I can free surf my wake with that setup with only a couple people in the boat. I've talked to real boarders who say they use the same setup with good results.

It should make your dad very happy too.

TheOneandOnly
05-02-2008, 07:31 PM
Go with the X2 we have an 08 the trim tab makes a nice difference, also the X2 is the perfect all around boat... Good luck report back with your decision

OhioX14
05-02-2008, 08:18 PM
I'm a former X9 owner, now an X14 owner. If I were in your shoes I would have you AND your Dad get behind an X2 with the plate and I would be more curious what your Dad thinks about the experience than you as I'm sure you would love the boat. If it doesn't work for your Dad you may already be in the best choice as the X14 does have a slightly smaller wake and not much room for anything more than the standard ballast tanks. My son, however, goes big behind ours and my wife and I love the slalom wake as compared to the X9.

Good luck!