PDA

View Full Version : Drive Shaft Problem

winstonwilliams
05-01-2008, 07:43 AM
I had a small problem with my drive shaft (tapered drive shaft)... I had the key slip out of the shaft where it connects to the transmission coupling (in the bilge).. When the key slipped out the shaft spun around in the coupling until one of the set screws grabbed the key slot.. After I noticed what happened I pulled the coupling off of the shaft and found that the shaft got a little messed up from the set screw spinning into the key slot. I know you should not sand the shaft, but I sanded it slightly where it was messed up and heated the coupling up and put everything back together... I took the boat out and everything ran great.. after I got home I took the coupling back off and it just slipped off (I did not have to press it off like the first time) My question for you guys is: Did I sand the shaft too much? I am worried that the shaft will back completely out of the boat if I put it hard in reverse and cause some major damage.. Maybe it is just me being paranoid... Thanks guys

winstonwilliams
05-02-2008, 01:57 PM
Anyone anyone?

KHall
05-02-2008, 02:09 PM
It needs to be tight fit. Might try valve lapping compund inbetween the coupling and shaft to grind a "matching" "tapered shape".