PDA

View Full Version : Boat got wet while in storage...

h2oskiluvr
05-01-2008, 12:09 AM
I won't get into the whole story but my boat had been exposed to a lot of water while it was stored so there is mold and discolorations in the carpet and the upholstery. (My favorite is the three inches of dark water in the cooler compartment.) I am looking for cleaning advice from the fine folks who frequent TT.

What suggestions do people have for getting the waterspots / discoloration out of the carpet? I bought a "Little Green Clean Machine" so I am hoping a steam clean will take care of it. My fear there is the carpet was wet for so long there is permanent damage done.

Also, what do people suggest I use to clean the vinyl? It is really dirty now (the boat was perfect when I brought it in last fall) and there are little mold colonies forming in the wet creases of the seats.

What about the the instrument panel? I find that to be particularily dificult to clean as the three materials (Glass, Aluminum, and Vinyl) are so different so I was wondering how others handled this.

Thanks in advance for your help! My main thing is I need to get the mold smell out of there, that is just a killer! :mad:

prostar205
05-01-2008, 12:20 AM
Take as much of the interior out of the boat and inside you house where it is warm and dry. I woud even unbolt the interior cushions and bring those in as well.

Get the spray on mold killer from Starbright and use the Magic Eraser. Follow that up with 303 protectant. That should be the cushion back to new.

As for the carpet, I would call a professional (Stanley Steamer) and have the carpet professionally cleaned.

Finally, either fix your storage unit or find a dry place to store the boat. Also, if you have electicity at your storage location, get a Air Dryr thru ebay for $50. I keep my boat outside year round on a boat lift on our lake and use 4 Air Dryr. Never have a mold issue.

Ben
05-01-2008, 07:15 AM
Once you pull the vinyl / panels, you could also use a pressure washer on the carpet. It's a boat right, it can get wet...

My neighbor had similar issues & just got done doing this, boat / carpet interior looks great after some TLC.

mayo93prostar
05-01-2008, 08:17 AM
be careful with carpet, if it has been that wet for so long and then you apply steam, it may loosen the glue. however, it is a boat and is intended to get wet but the long soak and steam may cause an issue. try a spot and see before do whole boat. good luck.

BrianM
05-01-2008, 08:26 AM
A solution of warm water and Tide works great on the interior carpet. Use a soft scrub brush to really work it in. Then take it to the local self serve car wash and rinse it out really well with the wand. Follow up with a really good vacuum with the shop vac and leave it in the sun a while to dry. Stanley Steamer is a good idea too.

endl
05-01-2008, 01:27 PM
Take as much of the interior out of the boat and inside you house where it is warm and dry. I woud even unbolt the interior cushions and bring those in as well.

Get the spray on mold killer from Starbright and use the Magic Eraser. Follow that up with 303 protectant. That should be the cushion back to new.

As for the carpet, I would call a professional (Stanley Steamer) and have the carpet professionally cleaned.

Finally, either fix your storage unit or find a dry place to store the boat. Also, if you have electicity at your storage location, get a Air Dryr thru ebay for $50. I keep my boat outside year round on a boat lift on our lake and use 4 Air Dryr. Never have a mold issue.
Ditto on the air blower....Especially after you get everyting cleaned. Run that blower every time you store it this summer so you dont get any mold coming back. I got mine at Harbor Freight Tools for about $30.

JBaker
05-01-2008, 07:35 PM
Sorry to hear about this. Power wash the ^%$# out of the carpet. I have done this with a Hot-Z and it worked wonders. Get it nice and hot with a standard detergent.

No experience with bad vinyl. Good luck!