PDA

View Full Version : 99 Hurth Transmission Question

curry154
04-30-2008, 05:45 PM
have 99 xstar that one day i had forward and rev. the next day , nothing,,prop wont move in eather gear , the trans is a hurth 630iv and im hearing some talk of a possible broken flex plate ,, anyone know all the symtoms of this ,,, the tranmission seemed to rattle alot in gear at idle ,, i baugtht the boat about 3months ago and am not that great on v-drives .. thanks for any input

Ole Miss Rebels
05-01-2008, 12:14 PM
i think i responded to your question and sugested the flex plate might be the culprit. if it rattled before it went out that sounds even more like the flex plate. they have springs in them. both times i tore up a flex plate they rattled and slipped a short while before turning loose all-together. i wouldn't require your dealer change the flex plate without his diagnosing it personally. they are not easy to change nor is it inexpensive. a local repair shop fixed my '99 205V back in 2004 for under $600. i was pleased. i don't know what the dealership would have charged but i suspect it would have been higher. my 05 xstar was under warranty so i have no idea how much it was. good luck. oh yeah, if it is the flex plate ask them to save you all of the parts. once you look at them and understand how they work you can ask them to dispose of them.

curry154
05-01-2008, 01:49 PM
thanks for the advice , sounds right to me , im going to pull the v-drive on saturday and check

Ole Miss Rebels
05-01-2008, 04:21 PM
curry, please don't use my experiences as a reason to pull the transmission. i would feel terrible if it ended up being the linkage or something equally simple. i remember my dealer telling me to check the cable going to the tranny first and to be sure that when the throttle is in neutral that the lever on the tranny is actually in the neutral position. he said to disconnect the cable from the tranny lever and move the tranny lever forward and see if the boat went into forward gear. then check it in reverse. the purpose was to make sure the cable was adjusted properly or had not come unattached from the tranny.it is easy to remove the cable from the tranny. you just slide a little locking sheath from around the coupler and pull the cable off of the lever. once i checked the cable he said that there was nothing else i could do to self diagnose it. or course, he knew i had very little mechanical knowledge.

curry154
05-01-2008, 05:24 PM
thanks again ole miss , i did check that first / along w/fluid level . but im afraid eather something internal inside trans went or im hoping just a flex plate eather way trans has to come out , i wont hold you responsable , ill let you know , thanks again for helping !!