PDA

View Full Version : Tried Wakesurfing?

6ballsisall
04-06-2005, 07:59 AM
Has anyone tried wakesurfing? It looks like a fun and leisurely sport. Boards are expensive though. Any opinions from those who have tried it?

djhuff
04-06-2005, 08:02 AM
It is a blast and a great way to end the day. If you want to save money, buy the board on e-bay, that's where I got mine for about 1/2 price.

WakePowell
04-06-2005, 09:33 AM
Wakesurfing is an absolute kick in the ***. Once you are done skiing or wakeboarding it is a great activity that just about anybody can enjoy. It is also good to do when the water is rough.

aprgriggs
04-06-2005, 09:43 AM
Has anyone tried wakesurfing? It looks like a fun and leisurely sport. Boards are expensive though. Any opinions from those who have tried it?

start with a longer board it will make it easier to learn. Have fun.

peason
04-06-2005, 09:50 AM
I agree, it's fun and relatively easy. You do do need a large wake on the side you are surfing. I would do some research on the boards before you buy. I have a landlock which is a very long board and once you lose your momemtum you go down. Still it is a lot of fun.

sizzler
04-06-2005, 09:50 AM
i've got the hyperlite landlock,,,,,,but a few of my buddies use normal surfboards...its a great way to finish the day

DanC
04-06-2005, 10:58 AM
"Just do it"

jsonova99
04-06-2005, 11:00 AM
That looks cool, is it easier than regular surfing? How do you get started? (if the answer to the first question is no, disregard the second one, because it ain't happening!) :uglyhamme

tex
04-06-2005, 11:02 AM
That looks cool, is it easier than regular surfing? How do you get started? (if the answer to the first question is no, disregard the second one, because it ain't happening!) :uglyhamme
I don't miss paddling out!

jsonova99
04-06-2005, 11:05 AM
I don't miss paddling out!

I hear that, by the time I get out I'm just about spent. I just have a regular surfboard, good enough to give it a try I guess. Do you hold onto the swim platform until you get up to speed? How fast do you go?

NeilM
04-06-2005, 11:16 AM
You start off holding a rope, which is about ten feet long, attached to the pylon (some attach it to the tower, but, to me, that leaves the rope dangling in the way after the rider is done with it).

Rider starts off like he would on a wakeboard/wakeskate.

Once the boat is up to speed (somewhere between 9-11mph, depending on the characteristics of your boat - a Perfect Pass is WONDERFUL for this), the rider positions the board in front of the wake (this may mean pulling in a little bit of the rope), gets stable, then tosses the rope into the boat.

Presto.

BTW, the wake doesn't need to be huge.. I've seen people with their boats overloaded to the point the gunwales are barely above the waterline... it's not necessary.
It's a wonderful 'later-in-the-day' pasttime because you can do it when the lake has too much boat chop to enjoy other watersports...

DanC
04-06-2005, 11:20 AM
try this site
http://www.howtowakesurf.com/

A real surfboard will work (depends on the the shape of your board and shape of your wake) well enough to try things out.
You start with a short rope/handle, pull yourself into the sweet spot of the wake and then toss the handle back into the boat. Several start methods, lying down and then pop up like a surfer (not easy for us larger folks), like a wakeskate/wakeboard (easiest once you have seen it and have a good driver).
9.8 to ~10 mph.

NeilM
04-06-2005, 11:22 AM
Starting off...

NeilM
04-06-2005, 11:36 AM
Getting stable:

NeilM
04-06-2005, 11:53 AM
As far as boards go, I agree with peason that the Hyperlite Landlock is a little long -- tried it out and ended up with a CWB Ride (pictured) instead.

Danc - thanks for the link to the how to wakesurf!.. never knew it was there...

jimmer2880
04-06-2005, 12:46 PM
BTW, the wake doesn't need to be huge.. I've seen people with their boats overloaded to the point the gunwales are barely above the waterline... it's not necessary.
It's a wonderful 'later-in-the-day' pasttime because you can do it when the lake has too much boat chop to enjoy other watersports...

I agree - I've done it behind my stock '95 PS190 before. No ballast. I think it depends more on the wake shape then the size. I've tried behind other much larger inboards & it was much harder than behind my 190.

My neighbor has a vintage longboard we use.

wiltok
04-06-2005, 11:33 PM
Here is an X-9 wake at 9.5 MPH with stock ballast - me and the misses.

rodltg2
04-07-2005, 12:50 AM
dan c, is that shasta lake?

aprgriggs
04-07-2005, 09:49 AM
Free riding or staying in the sweet spot - keep your weight over your toes....to much weight on the heel of your foot will cause you to slow down or stall.

DanC
04-07-2005, 11:12 AM
dan c, is that shasta lake?

Bullards Bar, 5 days on a houseboat last year :banana:

DanC
04-07-2005, 11:15 AM
Free riding or staying in the sweet spot - keep your weight over your toes....to much weight on the heel of your foot will cause you to slow down or stall.

I think you mean too much weight on your back foot will cause your to slow down or stall?
Weight on your toes or heels works you up or down the face of the wave.
I tell newbies your front foot is the gas peddle, your rear foot is the brake peddle.

Todd Brosius
04-07-2005, 09:19 PM
Doesn't one need to worry about the board striking the back of the boat. I saw one boat in which the board struck the back - not pretty, but fixable I guess. What are the risks? I kinda like to try it but really like my new 197 without "dings" in the back. INPUT please!

NeilM
04-08-2005, 11:49 PM
It is a risk - but not that big of one. The CWB Ride (and others) have a rubber nose on them - it helps in those rare instances (maybe 2 or 3 times out of several hundred pulls) when it does happen. I've seen people stretch a couple of those long flat boat fenders (from Overtons) across the transom just above the swim platform. Boards without the rubber nose can be fitted with one that is for surfboards..

erkoehler
04-09-2005, 12:32 AM
We usually have someone sitting on the back of the boat with there feet on the platform. Then if the board comes at the boat they can usually just push it away.

toothawk
04-09-2005, 11:53 AM
wakesurfing is awsome, absolutely NO effort, can do it after you're tired out from skiing and wakeboarding. It's a real rush, like floating on air, when you throw in the handle and are just riding the wave. The board is really easy to control, if you're comming up to the boat too fast, just shift your weight to your back foot "the break" and you'll slow down and back off. No problems dinging the transom.... good luck

HyPtFrEaK140
04-09-2005, 03:05 PM
i had a prostar 190 before i got my new 05 X-2 and it threw probably the sickest surfing wake. i liked it better than the centurion avalanch. its not only huge when you wight it down right but it is super clean. what i did was take out the entire back seat and stick a 600 pounder and then another 600lbs on the left side of the engine cover. prepare to be amazed

Ryno
04-18-2005, 03:05 PM
Wakesurfing is so much fun. It's relatively easy to do and you don't need the water to be perfectly smooth to do it.
Like others have said, it's all about weight placement on the board...
-weight forward (toward boat) speeds you up and brings you closer to boat
-weight back - slows you down
-weight on toe side (assuming regular footed) brings you into the wake
-weight on heel side brings you away from wake

Once you get good on a longer board, you can move to a shorter carving board for 360's and 720's or even jumping to the starboard side wake!!!

DanC
04-18-2005, 03:49 PM
Doesn't one need to worry about the board striking the back of the boat. I saw one boat in which the board struck the back - not pretty, but fixable I guess. What are the risks? I kinda like to try it but really like my new 197 without "dings" in the back. INPUT please!

Don't worry, it IS a risk j/k :uglyhamme
If you surf enough and let novice friends surf, eventually you will ding the back of the boat. A rubber tip on your board will help. Some boards come with them. I added a rubber surfboard nose protector to our Landlock. Some people just put a bead of silicone around the nose of the board. Some people hang lifejackets over the back of the boat to protect the transom. Somewhere in this forum, someone posted a link to a product designed for this, fundamentally one of those "hull hugger" type boat fenders for the transom.
I don't have any dings, but I do have a tear in one of the decals on the stern :( .

Barefooter4life
05-06-2005, 05:24 PM
You start the same way as starting on a wakeskate. Short rope near the back of the boat.. Hold the board with the bottom facing the boat and your feet on the board with your knees at your chest. Have the driver put the boat in gear to get pressure against the board. This will allow you to let go of the board and grab the rope. Say hit it and away you go. Once you get going throw the rope in the boat and voila you are wakesurfing.

I am a retard...I was responding to a post on page 1....

MasterCrafting
06-01-2005, 05:02 PM
First time out on one this weekend, it was awasome! We need to add alittle weight to the back to make it easier, but it was possible behind a stock ps190.

Cary K.
06-01-2005, 06:12 PM
MCing, FYI it is way easier to surf with your toes facing the wake. Were you able to let go of the rope and ride with the wake that small? Glad you had a good time, it is super fun.

MasterCrafting
06-01-2005, 08:18 PM
I was able to toss the rope and ride around for awhile, and i was able to ride on either side as well, it was a great time.

aprgriggs
06-01-2005, 08:24 PM
I was able to toss the rope and ride around for awhile, and i was able to ride on either side as well, it was a great time.

I have found that it is easier to surf if you through the rope in. I always lean back when I am holding the rope. If I throw the rope in then I get on my front foot and stay up much longer.

If you haven't try surfing it is fun.

mr brodcaster
06-07-2005, 12:20 PM
A new type of board called a brodcast.More for spins. make shure alot of weight on the same side you surf on.

skeeler
06-07-2005, 12:35 PM
Shot of me behind an X-30.....

aprgriggs
06-07-2005, 03:47 PM
nice ride, but look at those tubers behind you. I hate that...it makes me so mad :eek:

MasterCrafting
06-07-2005, 07:28 PM
dude, wakesurfing has so many names...surfing, slashe boarding, broadcasting? Whatever, its all wakesurfing. I ride the hyperlite broadcast too...its a nice surf. I've ridden the landlock too...that one is cool. Anyway..yeh...looks like a nice wake.

jpattigr
06-08-2005, 12:29 PM
On our recent trip to Powell, I brought a basic wakesurfer with me for the first time. The water was rough for a few days and we surfed non stop!! Everyone could do it and everyone loved it!! We had a couple of non watersport types try it and succeed with no other experiance.
Here's a shot of my daughter on her second ever day surfing (Blue Crush)

skeeler
06-08-2005, 02:37 PM
nice ride, but look at those tubers behind you. I hate that...it makes me so mad :eek:

Thanks...That was last summer, but now they have outlawed Wakesurfing on our lake. Those were the good old days. :mad:

tex
06-08-2005, 03:27 PM
Thanks...That was last summer, but now they have outlawed Wakesurfing on our lake. Those were the good old days. :mad:

I love how they do that. Do they ever outlaw cabin cruisers or the 25 foot i/o that trudges along at mws(maximum wake speed) right through my perfect barefoot water?

Leroy
06-08-2005, 03:45 PM
Nice shots wakesurfing. Want to try that this year.

On our lake there is a point where homeowners wanted no wake but they put up a sign that says max speed 10MPH. Duh

sizzler
06-09-2005, 04:08 AM
they've just imposed a 10mph limit on lake windemere,,one of englands biggest lakes in order to cut down on wake-wash.......do they not realise that at 9 mph my X9 and others like it throw up a huge wake

shepherd
06-28-2005, 01:37 PM
This is awesome! I used to slalom ski all the time. Then a few years ago I started surfing, but I miss the skiing. Now, I can do both! :eek: When the Bay's to choppy to ski, and the Gulf is too flat to surf, I can wakesurf! Thanks guys for educatin' me. :woohoo:

shepherd
06-28-2005, 01:39 PM
BTW, I have a PS 190 but a friend has a big 28', twin engine (Mercruiser outdrives) cabin cruiser. I'm thinking the cruiser would throw the best wakesurf wake, no? Would it be worth the gas money? :confused:

Cary K.
06-28-2005, 06:46 PM
Don't ever wakesurf behind an outdrive, I/O, or outboard. Wakesurfing is for true inboard boats only where the prop is safely under the boat. The boat may throw a great wake/wave, but it just isn't worth falling into the prop.

erkoehler
06-28-2005, 06:50 PM
BTW, I have a PS 190 but a friend has a big 28', twin engine (Mercruiser outdrives) cabin cruiser. I'm thinking the cruiser would throw the best wakesurf wake, no? Would it be worth the gas money? :confused:

I hope your joking....

Mag_Red
06-28-2005, 07:48 PM
NO pictures but I tried it this past week-end and loved it! If old Mag Red can do it.............you can too ;)

shepherd
06-29-2005, 12:04 PM
OK, I'll try behind the Prostar 190. From the pictures I've seen, you need to be real close behind the boat I guess. I thought maybe if you can keep a fairly safe distance behind the boat... a bigger wake would be better. Like real surfing at the beach, head high is better than knee high...

No ERK, I wasn't joking, just clueless.

Lance McCollum
07-15-2005, 11:05 PM
We use a 6' 8" surfboard, start off with the rope at it's shortest length. Laying down, get up to about 12mph. Then the trick is to get outside the wake, once there, you can work on getting up. We stay between 12 and 15 mph and barely hanging on to the rope. The rope helps bring you back into the pocket if you stray too far off the wake. Staying at this spot on my wake is right where the curl is and helps you stay far enough behind the boat to avoid toxic fumes. Besides, I've seen lots of guys surfing right behind the boat - I never surfed that slow. That's only when the waves are crap. I want to be moving down the face. And my 209 throws a better surfing wake at that speed. I'll post a picture as soon as I can figure out how to do that.

Lance

RackAtak
07-15-2005, 11:25 PM
Trinity Lake 2005...ProStar 195 with 6 kid ballast

Lance McCollum
07-16-2005, 12:37 AM
shasta 2004http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=&stc=1

3event
07-18-2005, 10:45 AM
Here's a great video showing all the basics including the launch. There are several others on the wakeboardingmag website.

http://www.wakeboardingmag.com/getvideo?ID=514

I got out on a Hyperlite Broadcast 4'9" for the 1st time this wknd. I didn't get the board moving on its own - couldn't throw the rope away. Tried without filling my single rear ballast bag on the prostar197. Just put riders on the back seat. About 10mph.

Any comment - should I be able to get it rolling or am I going to have to fill the bag and load 'er up?

sizzler
07-18-2005, 11:10 AM
you may have been riding to far back in your stance.....try more weight over your front foot....this works for me... :twocents: