PDA

View Full Version : 1999 x-star transmission problem

curry154
04-30-2008, 10:11 AM
i have a 99 x-star with v-hurst tranmission , this winter i noticed slightly milkey trans fluid , i sucked the trans out 3 times and have not seen any water in fluid so far this year and the transmission has been fine, but yesterday went to board and the boat wouldnt go into any gear , after slighty reving eng it caught but seemed to be slipping in and out of gear , checked fluid and it seems ok , any input to this problem would be great , also do you check fluid level in this transmission while the boat is running or shut off, thanks again

Ole Miss Rebels
04-30-2008, 10:34 AM
something similar has happened to me two times. once on my 99 205 V and again on my 05 xstar. both times it was my flex plate. while i was dead in the water in the 05 xstar i called my dealer and explained the situation and he told me to disconnect the shift cable from the transmission and try to get the transmission to engage by manually moving the shift lever on the transmission. he was trying to determine if the shift cable needed adjusting. so i would look at the cable where it connects to the lever on the transmission and make sure when the throttle lever is in neutral that the lever on the transmission is in the neutral position. after that little test i would have someone qualified evaluate it. hopefully it is something minor. good luck and let us know what you find out.