PDA

View Full Version : In-Car GPS

shepherd
04-30-2008, 10:01 AM
Thinking about picking up a cheap GPS car nav unit tonight before heading up to CSM. By "cheap", I mean less than $300.

I was looking at a "TomTom"

Any suggestions?

Also, will one of these units help me find my way around the lake if I had it on the boat?

BrianM
04-30-2008, 10:07 AM
Garmin Nuvi 660. That unit gets great reviews although it will cost you $350. Or you can pick up the basic Nuvi 200 for $169 or the 200w(wide) for $249. Still a great units especially for the price. The Garmin interface is better than the Tom Tom.

Monte
04-30-2008, 10:21 AM
Several of the guys in the office have them. From my understanding garmin actually gives you a street name with the turn you need to make. tom tom just says turn left in 100ft..

cbryan70
04-30-2008, 10:21 AM
navionics XOG small less then 300 and is made for water as well can put hotmaps chips in it

shepherd
04-30-2008, 10:51 AM
Best Buy has the Garmin Nuvi 200 and TomTom One on sale for $170 each. Pretty good price. I think I'm going to grab one during lunch. So the Garmin is the consensus best of the two?

BrianM
04-30-2008, 10:55 AM
I think the Garmin is the better unit. Garmins get much better reviews on user interface and the Garmin routing is supposed to be better than that of Tom Tom. This review was on different units but the routes should be the same even on the lower units. http://www.gpsmagazine.com/2007/06/garmin_vs_magellan_vs_tomtom_which_gps_picks_the_b est_routes.php?page=1

ttu
04-30-2008, 10:58 AM
ditto on the garmin.

i have one and it works great.

lazypiper
04-30-2008, 11:30 AM
I have a TomTom and I love it. It was the cheapest one they had, BUT if I knew then what I know now I would of got the Garmin. The tomTom is not capable of doing truck routes. At least my model and talking to people who have Garmins they can do truck routes. That is the one feature I really need when pulling the boat. In New York City there are tons of parkways and the TomTom tries to put me on everyone of them. :mad:

shepherd
04-30-2008, 11:58 AM
Cool. Garmin it is. Thanks for the replies everyone.

bec1971
04-30-2008, 12:01 PM
I have an older Garmin, it is a 320c. However, it has been excellent. My neighbor borrowed mine when she left her Tom Tom in a different car. She prefered the Garmin. I also use my as the speedo in the boat, though all my guages do work.

NU-skier
04-30-2008, 12:04 PM
Have the Garmin 200W... love that it's wide.
Suggest you get the case for it and an extra power cord if you have a second car. Your blackberry USB cable will work to load updates and pictures or custom software from your PC.
You don't need the expansion memory unless you're going to load pictures on it... so don't let them tell you that you NEED it.
See you at CSM!

Doug G
04-30-2008, 12:13 PM
Agree with the Garmin. No issues with ours

puck_11
04-30-2008, 01:05 PM
You probably already bought it, but the reviews of the Garmin Nuvi for the little features outranks the Tom Tom. One being the points of interest are constantly updated as you keep driving, ie trying to find the nearest gas station. I love mine.

mbeach
04-30-2008, 04:30 PM
Several of the guys in the office have them. From my understanding garmin actually gives you a street name with the turn you need to make. tom tom just says turn left in 100ft..
the garmin 200 only says turn left in 100ft. the garmin 260 will give street names which is what i have and works really well.

lanier92prostar
04-30-2008, 04:41 PM
I've got a garmin and it works great. Got me unlost a couple of times on our trip out west last summer. Glad I had it. My parents have a Tom
Tom and I think the garmin is more user friendly.

TMCNo1
04-30-2008, 05:02 PM
I've got a Garmin Street Pilot C330 from H20skeefreek @ West Marine for less than $200.

Shep, PM to you!

stuartmcnair
04-30-2008, 05:05 PM
Garmin 260...love it. Has the text to speech so it gives you road names.

uawaterskier
04-30-2008, 05:23 PM
I got a Mio...it does alright. I mainly use it for speed in my truck since I have oversized tires and never corrected the speedometer

east tx skier
04-30-2008, 05:38 PM
Garmin here. I recommend using "British Emily" as your voice for navigation.

ProTour X9
04-30-2008, 06:27 PM
Garmin.............

shepherd
04-30-2008, 06:41 PM

Ooooh, I have to see if I have that option :love:
The only thing better than a cute girl with a british accent is a cute girl with a southern accent!

I got the cheapo Garmin 200. I don't need it to call out street names. "Turn left" is good enough for me.

ShamrockIV
04-30-2008, 06:51 PM
i got a notech from sams for 200 bucks!! we love it it gives u 3d on the road view plus gives street names. got it at sams club!!

TMCNo1
04-30-2008, 06:51 PM
Ooooh, I have to see if I have that option :love:
The only thing better than a cute girl with a british accent is a cute girl with a southern accent!

I got the cheapo Garmin 200. I don't need it to call out street names. "Turn left" is good enough for me.

Did you get my pm?

Good luck on the voice, Mine is the ill waitress @ Waffle House!

jimmer2880
04-30-2008, 09:27 PM
I had a TomTom One, v3 (the cheapest) for a couple hours. Then, I found out it didn't to itineraries (a trip with more than 1 stop in the middle, or more than 1 waypoint, in case you didn't like the way the route looked).

I returned it for a TomTom One XL. I love the extra large screen, and the added features. Having said that, my folks have the One v3 that didn't do itineraries.

So, I started Googling. Come to find out, the operating system is Linux, and there are hacks to add itineraries back into the One v3.

If you ended up with a One v3 - not the bigger xl, let me know & I'll send you a zip file with the .mnu menu I worked up for my folks (ok - I pirated it from the net, but it was free).

I won't go anywhere new without one these days.

Ryan
04-30-2008, 10:18 PM

Second that. My Nuvi 350 is great. I think the TomTom voices are the best out there, but that means little if it gets you lost.

3event
05-01-2008, 12:43 AM
I've got the TomTom OneV3, recd as a sales promo gift. Spoken street names would be nice, but with most you have to pay for a bunch of additional features to get that function. So far, I love it. Good deal at the current going price around $170 IMHO.

M-Funf
05-01-2008, 01:37 AM
I "upgraded" my nav system to have the brit voice....YUMMA!!!...

Her voice is hot!

OT: I used to work for Trimble Navigation. One of the original GPS companies. Not so prevalent now, but they were back in the day...

Today, I'd go with Garmin, hands down...

Cheers...

shepherd
05-05-2008, 01:01 AM
I "upgraded" my nav system to have the brit voice....YUMMA!!!...
Her voice is hot!

No British Emily in the basic Garmin Nuvi 200 I bought. :(
The only voice it has is some annoying woman who sounds like a secretary. But she did great this weekend during the 1100 mile round trip to NC, including detours due to road construction in the Lake Wylie area.

jimmer2880
05-05-2008, 08:22 PM
I had a TomTom One, v3 (the cheapest) for a couple hours. Then, I found out it didn't to itineraries (a trip with more than 1 stop in the middle, or more than 1 waypoint, in case you didn't like the way the route looked).

I returned it for a TomTom One XL. I love the extra large screen, and the added features. Having said that, my folks have the One v3 that didn't do itineraries.

So, I started Googling. Come to find out, the operating system is Linux, and there are hacks to add itineraries back into the One v3.

If you ended up with a One v3 - not the bigger xl, let me know & I'll send you a zip file with the .mnu menu I worked up for my folks (ok - I pirated it from the net, but it was free).

I won't go anywhere new without one these days.

Sorry everyone, but I must have deleted the menu features.

However, on this site:
http://www.tomtomforums.com/archive/index.php?t-4044.html
There is a dump of what you need

Specifically, past this into your tomtom.mnu (you should make a copy of the .mnu first)

MENUBLOCK|BLOCK_MAIN|BTM_GPS_POSITION|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE1|Main Menu 1 of 3|
MENUITEM|TASK_SHOW_MAP|
MENUITEM|TASK_DELETE_ROUTE|
MENUITEM|TASK_NAVIGATE_TO|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_BRIGHTNESS|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_PREFERENCES|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE2|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE2|Main Menu 2 of 3|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_COLOR_SCHEMES|
MENUITEM|TASK_ADD_FAVORITE|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_PLAN_ATOB|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_ROUTE_INSTRUCTIONS|
MENUITEM|TASK_ITINERARY|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE3|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE3|Main Menu 3 of 3|
MENUITEM|TASK_SHOW_WEATHER|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_DOWNLOAD|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_TRAFFIC|
MENUITEM|TASK_TUTORIAL|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_PHONE|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE1|

jclose8
05-08-2008, 04:14 PM
I've been wanting to get a GPS for a while now, and after reading this thread I started searching and found a Garmin Nuvi 200 for 133 bucks including shipping!

I've been using it for a couple of days and it is great. Not packed with a bunch of extra features, but it certainly gets you where you need to go, and is SUPER easy to use.

http://www.actiongps.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/5237037/vpcsid/0/SFV/32430

captain planet
05-08-2008, 04:22 PM
I just got my latest issue of Consumer Reports and they review the GPS units in it. I can scan in the article and their table if anyone is interested.