PDA

View Full Version : ECM Repair

River Rat
04-30-2008, 09:00 AM
The ECM just went out in my new 05, it only has 380 hrs on it and I was woundering if this was to early for the computer to go out. Has anyone had one go south, when did it go what were the hrs, and has it ever happened multiple times? Texas MC is covering the cost(GREAT GUYS) but I tend to worry about the future with it going out so soon.

River Rat
04-30-2008, 03:07 PM
Nobody has had a ECM go out:confused:

C36
04-30-2008, 06:21 PM
We had an issue with our boat that looked like it might involve the ECM (turned out it didn't). But in speaking with our dealer when they were fixing the issue they said that they have had to occasionally flash (or reset) ECMs but replacement is very rare (from memory I seem to recall them saying they had not changed one out). I would not worry going forward. I hope that is the end of the issue of you.

fintek9
05-02-2008, 12:21 AM
01 X-Star here, Mine went out last summer, pushing 650 hrs at the time.

rspiecha
05-02-2008, 12:40 AM
I had one go out on my 1994 Prostar 205, they didn't have any MEFI series 1 available from Indmar, but the MEFI series 2 was a direct replacement. Was $900 and I had about 300 hours on the boat, but the boat was 10 years old. I had an issue early on where the alternator was over charging and the dash gauge was under reading the voltage. Both were replaced under warranty. After two years of replacing batteries, it was discovered. This could of have something to do with the ECM going out 6 years later.

Rob

JimN
05-02-2008, 12:40 AM
It's rare but it does happen. Sometimes, it's a voltage spike issue, which can be caused by the way battery cables are attached to the battery (repeatedly making/breaking contact), a bad alternator bridge (computers HATE dirty voltage) or jump starting it and someone accidentally connects the cables backward. In '98 or '99, they had a problem with water getting into the terminals on the plug with the B+ and ground, which eroded the pins through electrolysis. No pins, no run. Occasionally, one will launch the EEPROM, but that's really rare. Did anyone say anything about a 51 code?

The only one I replaced lost its IAC function.

rspiecha
05-02-2008, 12:45 AM
That is exactly what happened to mine, boat ran fine, except the IAC didn't funtion and ended up with a high idle. ECM seemed to default to pulling the plunger out on the IAC.

Rob

D3skier
05-02-2008, 12:54 AM
mine went out in my '03 TT 197 in Oct last year fired the boat up on the trailer to make sure it would start and boom... it was dead when I put it in the water... only had 297 hrs on the boat.

JimN
05-02-2008, 01:02 AM
The one I replaced didn't do anythingwith the IAC. It just sat there.

River Rat
05-02-2008, 08:58 AM
Mine was setting off the check engine alarm and going into the fail safe mode. When they read the codes it was setting of all kinds of stuff, throttle by wire problems, and injector problems.

River Rat
05-02-2008, 09:00 AM
.................................................. ..........