PDA

View Full Version : Lake Weeds

russlars
04-30-2008, 02:07 AM
I am looking for a product that will kill the weeds on the beach at our lake house. Every year we pull them, but that is a big job and they just keep coming back. Obviously the product would have to be safe to use near the water. Anyone found something that works well?

StuSX
04-30-2008, 07:00 AM
www.killlakeweeds.com for the in the water stuff, and regular round up in a sprayer is safe for the beach.

Monte
04-30-2008, 07:33 AM
You could put a sign on the mailbox that says "free weed" maybe some hippie wannabes would pick it for ya.. I got nothin

bigmac
04-30-2008, 08:07 AM
I used a Beach Groomer (http://www.beachgroomer.com/)all last year. The thing costs about $1000, connects up to my lawn sprinkler pump. It's simple, easy to move around and works great. Plus, I can easily attach a fire hose nozzle for blasting off the dock and boat lift.

http://www.beachgroomer.com/animation/groomer.gif

atlfootr
04-30-2008, 08:41 AM
I am looking for a product that will kill the weeds on the beach at our lake house.
Anyone found something that works well?I did a search for you on ebay and craigslist and found nothing @ the present time.

I just called the company after my post, to see if they ever get any returns to sell used they don't :(
She told me the 'basic model" now runs $1,998.00 ... :twocents:
Perhaps you can pursuade bigmac into renting you his, offer to cover shipping cost of course.

russlars
04-30-2008, 09:49 AM
I don't have much of a problem with the stuff growing in the water, it is the tall stuff on the beach. So maybe roundup is the way to go. I didn't know that you could use it near the water--don't want to harm the fish!

mbeach
04-30-2008, 10:47 AM
be careful because products must be licensed for aquatics and treating aquatic vegetation must be licensed and applied by a licensed applicator in many states. you should check with the local dnr/game and fish agency in your state. for terrestrial vegetation near the shoreline, mow first if possible then treat the grasses with roundup and the broadleafs with a formulation of 2-4-d known scientifically as 2,4-Dichlorophenoxyacetic acid (not agent orange which is 2-4-5-t). contrary to what people may tell you, roundup does not work on broadleafs unless it is in cocktail form with other additives as dicamba. reason is simple, broadleafs grow by means of an apical meristem and 2-4-d attacks the meristem by accelerating growth to the extent that the plant essentially burns itself up. also, 2-4-d degrades in approx 2 weeks and has been the gold standard certain noxious water plants as water hyacinth, etc. one trick is to use a surfactant as liquid detergent to get the herbicide to "stick" to the target. it may take several treatments to achieve your desired results. remember to check with the appropriate regulatory agency for permitting, if any.

JimN
04-30-2008, 11:23 AM
mbeach- what does that do to turf grass? Is there a good way to get rid of those little violets?

bigmac
04-30-2008, 11:27 AM
I did a search for you on ebay and craigslist and found nothing @ the present time.

I just called the company after my post, to see if they ever get any returns to sell used they don't :(
She told me the 'basic model" now runs $1,998.00 ... :twocents:
Perhaps you can pursuade bigmac into renting you his, offer to cover shipping cost of course.

Yeh, I didn't have to buy the pump or inlet/intake stuff since I already have a 2 HP lawn sprinkler pump. I just bought the basic package without pump and put in the included T ball valve, so all I have to do is turn the lever to start the thing up (my pump is on a pressure switch). That cut the cost down and simplified the issue for me. The arm extensions aren't necessary IMHO because the thing is so portable

I have a variety of other fittings like aerators etc that I bought at the hardware store. The fire hose nozzle I bought from them in particular is a very useful (and fun) attachment. That thing really puts out the water - I was able to knock my 17 year old nephew off the dock with it last year. That was fun.

Weed control in Minnesota requires a permit. The mechanical harvesters like the Beach Groomer and Weed Roller are generally pretty easy to get - mine cost me $30 for a three-year permit. Permits for chemical control are harder to get. They can be self-applied. I've bought stuff from Aquacide, including Aquacide pellets and Aquathol K. It's a good company, but they are expensive. IMHO, mechanical control with the Beach Groomer is MUCH more effective, not to mention cheaper. If you send a weed sample to the Aquacide company, they'll tell you what it is and how best to kill it.l

mbeach
04-30-2008, 11:31 AM
roundup will nail turf grasses but the blue violets are broadleafs which 2-4-d should get. be sure to read the label for target plants. when in doubt concerning non-target vegetation, treat a small area and see if you get desired results. remember, many products have different formulations and hence are in cocktail form in an attempt for one product gets all.

russlars
04-30-2008, 02:53 PM
How about Monobor Chlorate pellets? Are these effective on killing lake weeds and is it rated safe to use on the beach that close to water? This works good on keeping my gravel driveway free of weeds of all types. Anyone had experience with this stuff?

mbeach
04-30-2008, 03:26 PM
How about Monobor Chlorate pellets? Are these effective on killing lake weeds and is it rated safe to use on the beach that close to water? This works good on keeping my gravel driveway free of weeds of all types. Anyone had experience with this stuff? read the label and see if it is approved for aquatics. if not, i believe that it is a federal offense to use a product inconsistent with labeling.

Ski Bum
05-01-2008, 12:09 AM
I've Been killing weeds for years. Different weeds need different killer. There's not just one that will kill all of them. Do a lot of research on what to buy. You could spend thousands and not get the results you want.

JimN
05-01-2008, 09:13 AM
So, basically, if I use the best cocktail for all of my weeds, I end up with dirt and then I should wait a month or so and re-seed or lay sod, right?

Dutch
05-01-2008, 10:54 AM
I have used the both the tablets and liquid solution from killakeweeds co. and have had good success with both under water and shoreline. They have a bunch of products and help You identify the weeds that you see at Your site for the proper chemical. All their stuff is safe for marine life. I believe You should still check with the local DFW to be sure. Their products are not cheap.

76S&S
05-01-2008, 12:56 PM
So, basically, if I use the best cocktail for all of my weeds, I end up with dirt and then I should wait a month or so and re-seed or lay sod, right?

The 2-4-D product mentioned earlier targets broadleafs and can be applied to most turf grasses. It may stunt the turf grass but shouldn't kill it.

mbeach
05-01-2008, 03:58 PM
So, basically, if I use the best cocktail for all of my weeds, I end up with dirt and then I should wait a month or so and re-seed or lay sod, right? i doubt you end up with dirt because many of the cocktail formulations require a license to purchase and apply. as someone posted earlier, no one product/cocktail truly kills all noxious plants. you could always treat the area for a particular weed or weeds, later disk, and then replant/sod. for aquatics, many states permit licensed aquatic plant management companies to treat commercially and requires a maintenance treatment program once the weeds are under control. remember that the rooted submerged varieties are harder to control and the herbicides are very expensive.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
05-01-2008, 04:31 PM
I would suggest just pouring a bunch of gas into the lake, but at today's prices, who can afford that!