PDA

View Full Version : HELP: Adding two more tower speakers need a new amp?

ORX-1
04-29-2008, 03:36 PM
I have two speakers already on the tower (JL OEM Mastercraft speakers and cans) and just got two more. I have someone lined up to install them but I am being told I need a four channel amp. I assume this is correct but was not sure what size and watts I need.

I have seen 75W x 4 at 4 ohms is this enough power?

Any advice would be great!

hydro-therapy
04-29-2008, 05:12 PM
You need to see what the speakers are rated at and then power them accordingly. 75w per channel is not alot of power, what are you looking for as far as the preforamce out of your system. We have a 600w amp running the 4 tower speakers alone. Im looking at moving up to 1000w to scare the locals (we ski on the Ohio and Green rivers so the sound really bounces around) we even play Ride of the Valkyries just for old times sake. Remember "More Power" is a good thing!:D :D

tr6coug
04-29-2008, 08:32 PM
I suggest a separate amp for the towers. I'm running them on a 2 channel amp which worked out well because the tower was pre-wired for 4 speakers on two channels. When you put two speakers on the same channel the impedance drops to 2 ohms, so make sure the amp is capable of running at 2 ohms.

Here is the spec page on the speakers:
http://marine.jlaudio.com/products_components.php?prod_id=371

Eagle Lake Rebel
04-29-2008, 11:09 PM
Go with a good 2ch amp rated around 125-150 watts /ch @ 4 ohms. When you hook up the speakers in parallel like tr6coug suggests, the amp will be running in the +200 watt range which will push the JL's to their limit and then some.

ORX-1
04-30-2008, 01:59 AM
Go with a good 2ch amp rated around 125-150 watts /ch @ 4 ohms. When you hook up the speakers in parallel like tr6coug suggests, the amp will be running in the +200 watt range which will push the JL's to their limit and then some.

I currently have a two channel amp running the two JL's already... If I understand this correctly I should be able to use the same amp I already have? just put two speakers to each channel? do you run all 4 wires to the amp directly or just go from the already installed speaker? Remember I have an 06 so there is no pre wiring like the 07's and newer...

Eagle Lake Rebel
04-30-2008, 11:42 PM
As long as your amp is stable @ 2 ohms (which it should be) yes each channel will drive 2 JL's. If you have decent wire (14 AWG) run to your existing speakers make the double-up connection in the cans. I can't remember what the stock MC gauge is but it is not 14. I think it's 16 AWG. I'm still using the stock wire which I plan to upgrade when I get some free time(AKA winter '09).

tr6coug
05-01-2008, 12:38 AM
Yes, you can use the same amp. Just wire both left speakers negative to the same terminal and both left speakers positive to the same terminal. Same for the right speakers. It does not matter if you run 4 new wires to the amp, or just run the new speaker's wires to the existing speaker. But, it would probably be easier to just run the new speaker's wire to the existing speaker because then you do not have to add an additional quick-disconnect where the tower folds.