PDA

View Full Version : boat hoist

Gerd
04-29-2008, 01:59 PM
Any suggestions on a boat hoist. Looking at the shoremaster and shorestation brands. What's better, vertical or the cantilever or does it even matter. The boat we're lifting is an 07 maristar 215.

bigmac
04-29-2008, 02:50 PM
Any suggestions on a boat hoist. Looking at the shoremaster and shorestation brands. What's better, vertical or the cantilever or does it even matter. The boat we're lifting is an 07 maristar 215.

ShoreMaster, Hewitt, Pier Pleasure, Newman, Porta-Dock, Hi-Tide, Floe are all made here in Minnesota - all within 2 hours of here. There are about 100 boat lift dealers within a 25 mile radius of my house. I've either owned, or seen them all - have strong opinons about the quality of the various brands.

ShoreMaster isn't a very good lift IMHO. Most reliable brands are Pier Pleasure and Floe. ShoreStation - lot's of drawbacks. Strong enough, but not terribly functional IMHO.

Vertical is generally better than cantilever.

OhioX14
04-29-2008, 02:54 PM
You're going to get a bunch of opinions on this one as everyone appears to have their favorite design. Assuming you're talking about a lift that stands on the bottom of the lake the two most popular designs (around my area anyway) are vertical or cantilever. ShoreMaster's site gives a pretty good descrition of both. Of these two designs I prefer the cantilever as more weight is transfered off the cable and onto the lift frame itself which just makes good engineering sense to me. Also, the cable on a vertical lift is a real pain to replace as compared to a cantilever.

Ironically, I chose a HarborMaster Elite lift (http://www.harbor-master.com/liftsmainpage.htm) as I needed a lift that would operate in shallow water and I liked the idea that most of the boat weight rests on the lift frame itself. I've had it for 7 years now and the only thing I've had to replace (knock on wood) is bunk carpet. The standard cables are all stainless so they still look as good as they did when the lift was new.

That's my 2 cents. :twocents:

wakeX2wake
04-29-2008, 03:27 PM
the air lift systems make way more sense to me... fill the barrel up w/ air when you want to float and water to sink... way fewer mechanical parts and much less stress on the dock and you don't have to leave your boat hanging from cables

Gerd
04-29-2008, 04:07 PM
The harbor-master sounds interesting. I do need a hoist that will work well in shallow water and won't need 2 feet before the hull touches water. As it is we need around 200 feet of dock just to get to where the hoist will sit.

thanks