PDA

View Full Version : 04 X9 question

85mc
04-29-2008, 12:52 PM
I have trouble posting pictures on here so I will have to describe this the best I can. Just brought home an 04 X9 and if I get down and look at the front of my bilge area, on either side there is a 3/4" hole facing forward beside the stringers. When I look I can see wood in there, I don't think the water can get that high in the bilge but I am sure some would splash in there. Is anyone else's boat like that ? If so what are they for? I want to seal them shut.
Thanks Grant.

jkski
04-29-2008, 01:01 PM
First off, when you look into the holes, you are not seeing wood as MC does not use any wood in their boats with the exception of a teak swim platform if so ordered. So, you are most likely seeing the fibers of the fiberglass, which could look like wood given the lighting.
The holes may be drain holes coming from your forward locker, so you may want to look to see if they correspond with the locations of the locker drain holes.
The other posibility being that it is an X9 is that your ballast bag lines may run through those holes. Does your boat have the ballast bag or was it maybe removed along with the lines?

85mc
04-29-2008, 01:19 PM
yes there is a ballast bag in the front ski locker but I think you are right they are drain lines from the cooler. The lighting really made it look like wood, I feel shame. Thanks for your help.
G

jkski
04-29-2008, 03:17 PM
No problem, and don't feel shame..feel proud that you have no wood and you have the best quality boat!!!

ShamrockIV
04-29-2008, 03:18 PM
be proud man post some pics of ur boat!!!!! we 209/x9 people must stick together!!!

Streak
04-30-2008, 12:13 AM
Hey guys, I'm looking at becoming another x-9 owner (a 01 ). Can you give me your insight on how ski-able the x-9 is. I understand it throws a pretty good wake for boarding, but I love to get out and rip it up on the slalom ski as well...
Anything to look out for on earlier model x-9s...
Thanks

jkski
04-30-2008, 08:07 AM
The only thing I can think of is to see if the boat has had "the hook" added. Some of the early production 209's did not have this and would porpoise a bit, plus the hook provides additional lift for a better ski wake. This is something that can easily be added, so if you find a good deal and it does not have it, I would not shy away, just be informed.

ShamrockIV
04-30-2008, 08:15 AM
does someone have a paic of this hook?? i am wondering if my boat has it or not!!

jkski
04-30-2008, 08:26 AM
"The Hook" is simply some additional fiberglass that is added to the trailing edge of the hull to provde some added lift. If you were to go out to your boat, and look at the bottom, under your exhaust ports, and run your hand from the edge to about 5 inches in, you should notice if the hull slopes at all or is simply flat. Another way would be to take a ruler and place it against the hull in the same spot to see if there is a gap....if there is, then your hooked (most likely). You can see it and it really is not much, but it make a sizable difference.
I think they started adding these in late 2003 to the 209 and continued through production for the remainder of the years.

Streak
04-30-2008, 10:36 AM
How and who can add this hook - is this something the dealers can add?

jkski
04-30-2008, 10:47 AM
Dealer can add it so long as they are good at fiberglass work. I had my dealer add this to my 2002 PS197 and they did the same to a friends 2003 PS209 and it looked like it came from the factory. It is just a matter of layering up some additional fiberglass on the trailing edge of the hull, but getting it to look right is an art.

DanC
04-30-2008, 11:45 AM
Picture of the hook on a 2003 PS209. Try using the "search" feature, sometimes it works.