PDA

View Full Version : Grease Zerk?

jwroblew
04-29-2008, 09:59 AM
Replacing steering cable, looked at steering tube and it has a grease fitting with a ball in it. Is that correct? Everything on this site says there should be no ball or you will get steering lock because the excess grease wont have anywhere to go.

The boat is an '03 X7.

ShamrockIV
04-29-2008, 10:05 AM
just replaced mine last night!! no zerk on the cable itself!! there is one back at the rudder though!! i am not sure u could put too much grease. i greased mine before i changed hoping to fix it and not have to replace. when it was full grease pushed out around rudder!! it will always have somewhere to go!!

sdesmond
04-29-2008, 10:07 AM
I have heard that as well that the zerk should have no check ball in it. Where can these be purchased at? I have not seen any at the local auto store. Also what size are they?

TMCNo1
04-29-2008, 03:01 PM
Replacing steering cable, looked at steering tube and it has a grease fitting with a ball in it. Is that correct? Everything on this site says there should be no ball or you will get steering lock because the excess grease wont have anywhere to go.

The boat is an '03 X7.

There IS NOT a check valve type ball in the zerk fitting on the aluminum tube at the end of the cable at the pivot attached to the bracket on the strut bolts. If there was a ball in it, when you grease it the steering will lock up. Some grease has to come back out, but enough will remain to do the job.

TMCNo1
04-29-2008, 03:10 PM
I have heard that as well that the zerk should have no check ball in it. Where can these be purchased at? I have not seen any at the local auto store. Also what size are they?
Either the steering cable people have them made up or they remove the ball in the zerk fitting prior to placing on the tube. No one has been able to buy them w/o the ball, but they have removed the ball in various ways to make it work like it is suppose to.

Sodar
04-29-2008, 03:14 PM
Wish I would have read this about 4 years ago! I greased the cable on my '96 and saw all the grease come back out, so I went EVERYWHERE I could think of to try to find a zerk with a check valve that small. I finally ended up ordering it off the internet. Guess it was all wasted time!

TMCNo1
04-29-2008, 06:28 PM
Wish I would have read this about 4 years ago! I greased the cable on my '96 and saw all the grease come back out, so I went EVERYWHERE I could think of to try to find a zerk with a check valve that small. I finally ended up ordering it off the internet. Guess it was all wasted time!

I have a extra tube with the zerk installed, because 17 years ago a former MC boat owner I knew replaced the zerk with one with a ball in it and threw away the old zerk and couldn't find it in the trash, then his steering locked up when he greased it. After a explaination from MC Customer Service/parts on how/why it works the way it does, he then bought 2 tubes from MC, one to use and one as a spare and he then gave the spare to me when he sold his last MC.
It only takes 2 shots of grease every year to do the trick to keep it lubed! After you have greased the tube, turn the steering wheel lock to lock a couple time and some of the grease will squirt out the zerk, wipe it off and close it all up and go boating!

88 PS190
04-29-2008, 07:01 PM
Make sure that when you grease it and turn the rudder you have some sort of rag to catch it. Or PFFFFT that grease goes everywhere.

No check ball on the cable but there could be one on the fittings for the rudder.

OhioX14
04-29-2008, 09:19 PM
How often to you have to replace a stearing cable? Why should it need to be done and when? I had my Nautique for 7 years and the dealer never mentioned doing this and I'm on my second Mastercraft (same dealer) and I've still not heard him mention it.

TMCNo1
04-29-2008, 09:56 PM
How often to you have to replace a stearing cable? Why should it need to be done and when? I had my Nautique for 7 years and the dealer never mentioned doing this and I'm on my second Mastercraft (same dealer) and I've still not heard him mention it.

Lack of grease, water contamination from excess water in the bilge, can lead to tightening of the cable, resulting in stiff steering and much effort to turn the steering wheel and can result in your posting a thread like this, http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=23023
Quite possibly a lesson was learned by all!

Hunterb
05-06-2008, 04:25 PM
Hi all,

I just went through this recently. If you take a regular grease zerk and file the bottom off the spring and ball fall right out. You can then simply screw it in place. This makes it easier to grease because the zerk is the standard size.

Hope that helps

Bruce

sdesmond
05-06-2008, 04:30 PM
Thanks Bruce! I am going to have to try it. Would it be ok to use a bench grinder or should a hand file be used?

Hunterb
05-08-2008, 01:35 PM
If you put it in a vice and run a hand file over the bottom a couple of times the spring will pop right out. They are very soft. It's really easy to do.

Good luck

Bruce

rliles
05-12-2008, 09:47 PM
Alemite in TN sells them.. www.alemite.com.

It would be nice if the MasterCraft owner's manual would note that there is nocheck ball in the zerk fitting on the steering cable.

jwroblew
05-14-2008, 07:47 AM
So what I still do not understand is why my never been touched factory setup had a check valve in it. After thinking about this for some time this is what I think. The zerk should have a check valve in it to keep water and other stuff out. When greasing the system the cable should be in all the way, I believe full right turn not sure though, this should add enough grease with out locking up the system.

TMCNo1
05-14-2008, 08:46 AM
All I can say is, if you have that much water in your bilge to contaminate the steering cable thru the zerk fitting with any consistancy, you have worse problems than a zerk fitting with no ball in it.

jwroblew
05-14-2008, 01:51 PM
All I can say is, if you have that much water in your bilge to contaminate the steering cable thru the zerk fitting with any consistancy, you have worse problems than a zerk fitting with no ball in it.

True, but if you put in grease with the cable in the "in" position why would you need somewhere for the greese to go?

TMCNo1
05-14-2008, 02:12 PM
True, but if you put in grease with the cable in the "in" position why would you need somewhere for the greese to go?

Just keep on the track your going, I think you've mastered it!

ted shred
05-15-2008, 12:42 AM

That is the correct way to do it, check ball in the zerk or not. I have been doing them like that for over 20 years and no problems with excess grease or lack of lubrication. Turn the wheel till the cable is all the way in. Give it a couple shots of quality grease and turn it lock to lock a few times. Remember the better grease you use the less often you will have to do it.