PDA

View Full Version : Enclosed Trailer Advice

lakesnake
04-29-2008, 03:12 AM
Who has had experience with using enclosed trailers? I'm wanting something to pull quite a hefty load, that I can ventilate for running generators inside. Tell me what brands, styles, prices, etc. you like/dislike. I'm leaning toward the tandem axle v-nose, just for the extra room. Thanks.

LakeSnake:D

Jerseydave
04-29-2008, 03:39 AM
"Featherlite" is the brand NASCAR uses, I see alot of them on the road and at the track too. Lots of drag racers use them also.

uawaterskier
04-29-2008, 03:43 AM
we had a halmark when we raced cars...it was nice. Why would you want to run a generator inside it? Most trailers have a generator mounted on the tongue and wired inside with outlets, ac, ect.

Hammer
04-29-2008, 08:18 AM
we had a halmark when we raced cars...it was nice. Why would you want to run a generator inside it? Most trailers have a generator mounted on the tongue and wired inside with outlets, ac, ect.

What he said! I would not run one inside, Just can't get enough ventalation to do it safely. A good welder can built a steel cage on the toung that is lockable to house the genorator. Don't get a v nose in this case. They are nice for the room though.

76S&S
04-29-2008, 09:13 AM
I've got a Wells Cargo enclosed gooseneck trailer. It has a generator box up over the gooseneck. The exhaust has to be routed outside.

Good trailer but heavy.

TMCNo1
04-29-2008, 09:30 AM
Haulmark, Featherlite, Renegade, Wells Cargo and Pace American are some of the more commonly used trailers. Here is a link to a facility on the East Coast that are everywhere across the nation, http://www.trailersoftheeastcoast.com/ Most any outlet have or can get just about any trailer you want and can rig it according to your requirements.

stuartmcnair
04-29-2008, 12:20 PM
I have a 20' Featherlite. Love it. Make sure you get the biggest axles available.

erkoehler
04-29-2008, 01:05 PM
I have a 24' enclosed all aluminum trailer that we use for the snowmobiles.

uawaterskier
04-29-2008, 01:13 PM
i just want to know what he is going to use it for. My favorite trailer was a buddies halmark. He had cabinets and a metal top work bench in the front, the pegboarded a lot of it out for spare parts and stuff. Onboard generator, onboard air. It was a sweet rig

edit: also mounting that generator inside is going to be LOUD

Sodar
04-29-2008, 01:18 PM
My favorite trailer....

CVandEVD
04-29-2008, 01:18 PM
Featherlite has my vote!

Datdude
04-29-2008, 01:24 PM
Triton makes a nice trailer. I have also heard good things about Legend trailers. I guess it depends on what you are going to haul

erkoehler
04-29-2008, 01:26 PM
Featherlite has my vote!

Probably the most expensive trailer as well!

RexDog1
04-29-2008, 01:54 PM
My favorite trailer....

wow cool:D

I like this one……:rolleyes:
Pace makes a very good one for the money…………

http://www.racingjunk.com/search?action=doSearch&is_advance=true&searchString=&phrase=exact&exclude=&new_used=&trade=&categoryId1=13&categoryId2=&categoryId3=&country=&zipcodeRange=50&zipcode=&priceMin=&priceMax=&sortBy=mr&resultsPP=20

H20BOY
04-29-2008, 02:29 PM
Definitely go v-nose. It makes huge difference in mpg.

Carbon Dreams
04-29-2008, 04:01 PM
Wells Cargo All The Way! Very stout trailers and tow very well. Best for the money. IMHO

lakesnake
05-05-2008, 12:43 AM

thank you all for your advice... i'd tell you why but i'd have to get ya. i'm one of those who has an idea for an invention, then is weary to google it for the fear of losing the idea to spies...know what i mean lol. plus, i just "said" generator. there are several different things i'd run inside that were fuel powered, and i'd also rather have my weight (equipment, and liquids) over the axles, rather than on the tongue. and i'm looking for that clean look. i'm one who makes sure every wire and seam is tucked and hidden when i do installs, i like clean.

good point though guys, thanks for looking out for my safety. carbon monoxide's a scary dude!

for use in residential areas, i'm also researching quieter exhausts for my equipment, whereas a standard generator exhaust is about like an old pushmower exhaust, small and loud.

uawaterskier
05-05-2008, 04:07 AM
fyi those mufflers are either A)screwed into the head or B) bolt on with 2 bolts.

I think either way, they probably make quieter exhausts

stuartmcnair
05-05-2008, 02:40 PM
If you are looking for quiet you should look into some of the APU's they are putting on trucks now. Diesel powered Lots of research going into those to keep the big engine off while parked for mandatory rest and sleep.