PDA

View Full Version : Would you attempt this gel repair?

CBergerson
04-28-2008, 09:21 PM
Is this something that I can fix myself? I have attached a few pictures of the damage that I discovered last summer. I still don't remember hitting anything or know what could have caused the damage. :mad:

The chip/crack is pretty far down on the hull as you can see by the pictures. It is about the size of a pinkie finger. I was pretty freaked about it at first, but later on I just stuck a strategically-placed piece of duct tape over it and you can't even really see it unless you know it is there.

So, do I try it myself with a patch kit from Spectrum color? Will a patch kit be enough? Should I trust my local body shop to fix it if I can't handle it on my own?

Sorry for all of the questions, but you guys are always so full of it (knowledge)!!

Chief
04-28-2008, 09:26 PM
Leave it to the pros color matching being the biggest problem. Maybe a stone on the road caused the damage?

erkoehler
04-28-2008, 09:32 PM
It is a lot harder than it looks......I'd send it out for repair. You'll never know it was there after that!

mbtka
04-28-2008, 09:33 PM
Take it to Midwest Mastercraft. They do a great job. You can't even tell after they fix it.

CBergerson
04-28-2008, 10:50 PM
Leave it to the pros color matching being the biggest problem. Maybe a stone on the road caused the damage?

A stone on the road sounds like a possibility. Except for the fact that my public access is a whole 2 blocks from my house and the trailer never goes above 15 or 20 mph.

I have racked my brain trying to figure out how it happened. Could I have run over/into something in the water since it is at the low level on the hull?

CBergerson
04-28-2008, 10:57 PM
Take it to Midwest Mastercraft. They do a great job. You can't even tell after they fix it.

If I still lived in the Twin Cities, it would already be done. I have dealt with them before as I bought my first PS 197 new from them in 2002. Now I live 2 hours away, so it is not as convenient.

dsoby
04-29-2008, 09:42 AM
It's not a hard fix. The hardest part is matching the color. You can get the gelcoat pre-matched if your gelcoat is not too faded from:
http://www.spectrumcolor.com/catalog.htm.
It's not very expensive to do yourself. If you don't like the way it turned out, you can always take it to a professional.
This isa pretty good explanation of the repair process:
http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/02.htm

SkiDog
04-29-2008, 09:55 AM
If I still lived in the Twin Cities, it would already be done. I have dealt with them before as I bought my first PS 197 new from them in 2002. Now I live 2 hours away, so it is not as convenient.
Man, I took my boat 4 1/2 hours to get the 20 hr. service done! If you like that dealer, then 2 measley hours shouldn't be a problem.

SouthWaker
04-29-2008, 09:57 AM
This is why you never beach your boat unless this doesn't bother you. From the looks of your hull it looks like you beach it alot. Im not pointing fingers though it is an honest mistake Not many understand how the pressure of the sand skuffs the bottom of your gel. This was probably caused by an underlying brick or stone under the sand. I have been in the same boat as you but my damage was much worse. I ended up getting a good repair guy, but mine wasn't anything you could fix at home.

Lennyp04
04-29-2008, 09:58 AM
A stone on the road sounds like a possibility. Except for the fact that my public access is a whole 2 blocks from my house and the trailer never goes above 15 or 20 mph.

I have racked my brain trying to figure out how it happened. Could I have run over/into something in the water since it is at the low level on the hull?

Honestly man it could be anything. If your lake is anything like the one where ours is at...there is always random stuff floating around. Like last year I was riding behind my friends X-30 and the boat came within about 2 feet of a log that was about 5 feet long and 2 and 1/2 inches thick. And then I almost hit it and dropped right by it so we could pick it up and take it outta the lake. Unfortunatley people do push there unwated sticks and what not out on to the lake so even though a stick doesnt sound like much.....it could even be something like that.

Best of luck with the repair!

ttu
04-29-2008, 10:00 AM
i have to agree with skidog,

when i had my supra, dealer was 4 1/2 hrs away. they did "some" of the service.

this last weekend with my 07 x2 "check engine alarm" it was a hour trip to the lake i keep the boat at, another 1 1/2 hours from the lake to the lake where the dealer is located then another 1 1/2 hours home, just to do the same thing again on sunday to pick it up.

if you like the dealer the 2hrs won't be a problem.

jeverett
04-29-2008, 10:11 AM
I would absolutely attemt that repair myself. Expose the wound by sanding out all of the loose chunks, and prep a fresh surface for the new repair. Spectrum Color sells fiber re-inforced filler that you can use to re-shape with. It doesn't appear to have taken much glass and at that stess point in your hull there is a lot of layers to begin with. Re-spray the gel coat from Spectrum color and follow with wet sanding to blend in the colors. Spray in an oval patern about 6-8" away from the repair.

CBergerson
04-29-2008, 10:16 AM
This is why you never beach your boat unless this doesn't bother you. From the looks of your hull it looks like you beach it alot. Im not pointing fingers though it is an honest mistake Not many understand how the pressure of the sand skuffs the bottom of your gel. This was probably caused by an underlying brick or stone under the sand. I have been in the same boat as you but my damage was much worse. I ended up getting a good repair guy, but mine wasn't anything you could fix at home.

Actually, I try and never beach the boat. I never realized how harmful it was until I went to sell my 2002 197. The buyer looked under there and was very concerned about all the gel coat that was "sanded" off. We had always beached the boat because it was convenient, without any regard to the damage done.

With my current boat, I have the advantage of the shared knowledge from this forum. I even bought the boat from the marketplace. Last year was the first year that I owned the boat. It was beached maybe twice. Once when it was windy and I had to load the boat by myself and another time when my nephew broke his nose on the kneeboard and I needed to get him to shore quickly. There were no beaching incidents around the time that I noticed the damage.

I have even started to load the boat on the trailer by hand. It is much easier on the bunk carpet and the boat buddy and other trailer parts.

Could the damage have been caused by hitting something in the lake such as a floating stick, without hearing/feeling it happen?

#47of100TeamMC
04-29-2008, 10:31 AM
again... it could have been anything! But at this point it doesn't matter who or what it was. Just get it fixed. Drive the 2hrs to Midwest MC and have them take care of it... But Hurry, cuz it's going to get busy real soon here.

Wolfhound
04-29-2008, 06:21 PM
I fixed a similar one on my boat with the Spectrum patch kit (not the spray one, just the two part mix kit). It was really easy and while not a perfect color match, you would have to have me point it out to see it. It is so close it wouldn't show up in a digital photo.

tex
04-29-2008, 06:46 PM
Get out some duct tape...it looks to be under the waterline...I would spend the big bucks and get the 200mph stuff!

WTRSK1R
04-29-2008, 06:47 PM
If you have never worked with fiberglass, I would take it in.

If you are comfortable working with resin, I would do it in a heartbeat. I would NOT mess around with trying to match the color. As several have said, Spectrum Color:
http://www.spectrumcolor.com/catalog.htm
Can sell you a factory matched patch kit and you will probably never even notice unless the hull has alot of fading.

Steve

CBergerson
04-29-2008, 07:53 PM
Get out some duct tape...it looks to be under the waterline...I would spend the big bucks and get the 200mph stuff!
Ha ha!! Good one. There is duct tape over it right now. I cut out a nice little stripe-shape and it almost looks like it should be there. It is under the water-line and held up over most of the summer. I will have to take a picture and post it!!

mbtka
04-29-2008, 11:32 PM
Chad: Where are you at in MN?

Andyg
04-29-2008, 11:51 PM
This is why you never beach your boat unless this doesn't bother you. From the looks of your hull it looks like you beach it alot.

This was my boat up until Chad towed it home about a year and a half ago. I bought it new and beached it a total of maybe 4 or 5 times in 3 summers. Each time it was pulled onto the beach, never driven. The scratches that you see in the photo are actually from the bunk carpet. That is the one draw back of having a colored hull. All of the scratched from the bunk carpet are clearly visible.

Chad,
It pains me to see that! While I am sure you could do it I don't think it is worth the headache of trying. Call around to your local marinas and see who they use locally for their gel coat repairs. Ask if they have any boats around that show the work they have done in matching gel coat colors. My guess is a repair for that damage would be less than $200. The other thing is since the boat is viper red the gel coat should be easy to match. Also I doubt there is much if any fading since both you and I kept the boat stored in a garage since it was new.

My 97 190 had a bolt from a dock take out chunks of gel coat all along the starboard side. The boat had also been beached extensively prior to my ownership and the gel coat on the keel was worn down to the glass. My local repair shop repaired both for less than $1000. After I got it back I couldn't even tell there was ever a problem.

Good Luck

Andyg

CBergerson
04-30-2008, 07:23 AM
Chad: Where are you at in MN?

In Alexandria.

CBergerson
04-30-2008, 10:01 AM
This one is for Andy since the pictures of the damage were so disturbing to him as the former owner!! When I first saw it, I sat on the garage floor with my head down, feeling sick inside. I wondered how in the heck did I do something to screw up this beautiful boat that someone else had taken such good care of!! I still don't know what the cause of the damage was. :confused:

kjb
04-30-2008, 10:12 PM
I just fixed a place on my boat tonight, used the patch kit from spectrum very easy to work with you can not tell where it was

CBergerson
08-23-2008, 11:47 PM
I finally got around to fixing my gel coat today. I put it off for a long time because I was scared of messing it up. It was not necessary to worry about it. It was a very easy fix, with minor complexity because of the location of the gash in the middle of a ridge/raised area on the lower part of the hull.

The hardest part was roughing up the opening and shaping the edges. The hole ended up being about twice as big after doing this and getting rid of the loose pieces. I was going to take a picture, then I forgot when I got busy with another project.

Don't hesitate to take on a repair like this yourself, especially if you can get a good color match. I used the Spectrum color patch kit and the color match is perfect. I am lucky because my boat has always been stored indoors and the finish is still nice and shiny.

I have currently sanded once with 220 grit and the repair is already almost invisible, especially with the great color match. I will post before and after pics once I have it done and ready.

CBergerson
08-25-2008, 08:59 AM
Before and after pics. The hole grew to over twice the size when I roughed up the edges and removed all of the lose gel. That part was very disturbing to me!!

The repair pic is after only rough sanding with 220 grit. The color match is near perfect and will only get better with finer sanding and some rubbing compound and polish.

It was very difficult to get both sides of that ridge even and to the proper contour. If you look very close, you can see that it is not totally perfect, but I think I can live with it.