PDA

View Full Version : New Boat Owner

Killer B
04-28-2008, 06:31 PM
Best piece of advice for a first time boat owner?

Prostar in Michigain
04-28-2008, 06:34 PM
dont forget your plug

06' X-2 R8R H8R
04-28-2008, 06:35 PM
Get some goggles and a sharp knife so you can untangle the rope that you wrap around your prop...

Lennyp04
04-28-2008, 06:35 PM
post pics of your boat!!!!!

Chief
04-28-2008, 06:37 PM
Make sure you have friends that pay for gas.

sdlaura1
04-28-2008, 06:42 PM
I store my plug in a velvet Crowne Royal bag tied to the steering wheel. It's worked so far.............

LKNMC
04-28-2008, 06:58 PM
Don't go into coves that you THINK may be deep

krra1
04-28-2008, 07:01 PM
It's not a slow stop when you run a ground and no your prop isn't OK afterwards.

FlatBoard
04-28-2008, 07:06 PM
Make sure you can back the trailer down the ramp before you go to the ramp.

(And don't yell at your wife/girlfriend at the boat dock. Not cool, although very entertaining!!)

FlatBoard
04-28-2008, 07:40 PM
I should add husband/boyfriend to that!!

Don't want to leave anyone out 8p

StuSX
04-28-2008, 08:06 PM
Relax and enjoy it - it's not a piece of fine china. It will get scratched. The first thing I do with my new boat( #3 this year), is spill some beer in it right away. That way no one else has to feel bad. Wipe it down, keep it clean, but don't be too anal about it- you'll turn into "no fun guy" "no food in my boat guy" "I value my boat more than fun" if you get too uptight..... I've seen it happen to good people and it's not pretty :D :D

spanielman50
04-28-2008, 08:28 PM
take it out and " drive it like you stold it ",,,,,,,,,,,,,you will learn
how to handle situations if you drive in all situations,,,,,,,
learn out and away from others,,,then you'll be able to play well
with the rest of us

coz
04-28-2008, 08:33 PM
I hope it's a MasterCraft :rolleyes:

russlars
04-29-2008, 01:03 AM
Don't complain about your wife's boat driving when she is learning, or you may be out of a boat driver! The voice of experience here.;)

79stars&stripes
04-29-2008, 01:19 AM
make sure you awlays have enough lifejackets etc, the ticket is kindof a bummer.

FrankSchwab
04-29-2008, 01:24 AM
Are you a new "Boat owner", or a "new boat" owner?

If you're a new "boat owner", find an old "boat owner", and invite them out. Let'em show you how to do things.

If you're a "new boat" owner; well, I don't have any help for you.

If you're both, get used to the fact that you're going to scratch it, stain it, and ding the prop. Get used to the fact that your wife is going to do the same. Accept it.

Try to avoid the issues that will turn a good day into a bad one:
- if the battery is weak, replace it.
- Don't go out with less than half a tank of gas
- Check the oil on occasion
- Make sure the trailer tires and bearings are in top-notch shape if you tow any distance.

Other thoughts:
- Leave the bilge on 'auto' most of the time. Once in a while, turn it off and see how much water you take on in an afternoon. More than a gallon, you should know where it's coming from. More than 5 gallons, you really should get it fixed.
- (JMHO) Don't drink on the boat. It's way too easy to end up drinking way more than you thought. You really don't want a DUI.
- Make sure you've got a Coast Guard approved personal flotation device for everyone on board. Not because you're going to sink, but because the ticket is annoying.

Good luck!

/frank

uawaterskier
04-29-2008, 02:52 AM
sooner or later you will find something in the water that hinders your boat undriveable...be prepared (rope for a tow, spare prop, PADDLE<--important one). Also F=M*A...try to avoid running into the docks. Practice "docking" in open water with a fender tied to anchor. Docking an inboard if a very different animal from all the other boats. Also number one rule of boating is have fun and stay safe! Which is pretty easy to do since you have a new boat!

Tap
04-29-2008, 06:42 AM
A boat is hole in the water in which a boat owner pours money. However, it is money well poured.

SNATCHEM
04-29-2008, 07:03 AM
Two things!
Firstly dont unclip boat from trailer at top of ramp.
Secondly unclip boat from trailer when you do finally reach the water.Roared and cursed at the kids last weekend because boat was "bloody" stuck.
Of course I had forgot to unclip !
You have just joined the best possible family sport - Good Luck!

beatle78
04-29-2008, 08:10 AM
Don't complain about your wife's boat driving when she is learning, or you may be out of a boat driver! The voice of experience here.;)

8p I second that. Even though I was just trying to show her what to do, she wanted nothing to do with my advise...... and thought I was bossing her around...... (even though I grew up on the water and she was a city girl until 6 years ago... but what do I know?)

ShamrockIV
04-29-2008, 08:22 AM
Remember plug.
make sure trailer is secured to truck.
use the chains on trailer
remember plug.
make sure ur tow vechile is big enough!! it's not the pulling it's the stopping!!
life jackets for more people than u plan to have on the boat.
BUI(boat under the influence) SUKS!!!
chicks dig boats!!!

coz
04-29-2008, 09:22 AM
BUI(boat under the influence) SUKS!!!

No! it's flat out STUPID!! ask the chick that got ran over sunday on lake pleasant if she survives. Prop struck her in the head and shoulders.
So again I say it's STUPID & IRRESPONSABLE! :mad:

lanier92prostar
04-29-2008, 09:52 AM
No! it's flat out STUPID!! ask the chick that got ran over sunday on lake pleasant if she survives. Prop struck her in the head and shoulders.
Just as dangerous as DUI in my opinion. I don't allow people to do ski or wakeboard if they have been drinking. Too many bad things can go wrong.

wakeX2wake
04-29-2008, 09:58 AM
when loading...
put boat buddy in set position w/ fender wells just below the water... have truck driver stay in vehicle and drive (the boat) up (on the trailer) until you hear a click then ratchet boat up until you can move boat buddy pin freely... then remove plug to prevent mildew and swing wide (in a safe manner) on turns to prevent curbing your boat trailer

edit: clarity

lassy
04-29-2008, 10:33 AM
bookmark the website: www.tmcowners.com

all your problems will be solved then...haha

ShamrockIV
04-29-2008, 10:39 AM

man ease up on me!! i agree with u. I do not drink anymore. I have 4 kids to keep up with on the lake!! plus hurts me too much anymore!!!:(

JimN
04-29-2008, 11:03 AM
Since nobody else mentioned it, take a boater safety class. Practice moving slowly away from the dock, preferably with someone who has a similar boat, who actually knows how to maneuver a direct drive boat. Until you're good at docking it well, make sure you have other people around to help, so you don't hit things.

READ THE OWNER"S MANUAL AND MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING BEFORE WORKING ON YOUR BOAT. Make sure you know what needs to be serviced, and when. Don't use "I just wanted to go 'till the end of the season" to justify not changing your oil and filter. Keep your flame arrestor clean.

CHECK YOUR OIL COOLER FOR WEEDS AND OTHER OBSTRUCTIONS.

DON'T OVERHEAT IT. Make sure you have a spare fresh water impeller and that you know how to change it.

KEEP A SMALL TOOL KIT ONBOARD. You don't need much but make sure they're not garbage tools and make sure you can tighten or remove any fasteners on the boat.

DON'T THINK YOU'RE TEN FEET TALL AND BULLET PROOF.

ShamrockIV
04-29-2008, 11:10 AM
amen JimN. remember when docking and loading boat slower is better!!! boats do not stop on a dime!!!

coz
04-29-2008, 11:11 AM
man ease up on me!! i agree with u. I do not drink anymore. I have 4 kids to keep up with on the lake!! plus hurts me too much anymore!!!:(

I'm not on you Sham, I joke about going back to cali and have a drink with a couple TT'ers but in actuallity I haven't had a drink since Dec. 2001, over six years now so make mine Pepsi on the rocks. Don't get me wrong I don't hate people who drink if that was the case I'd have no friends. I just hate drinking drivers. :mad:

454Prostar190
04-29-2008, 11:22 AM
Everything that I have read here is great advice and it all sounds like "first hand" knowledge! Be courteous on the water, safety first and when you think that you finally have it down and feel like showing off.... learn from this guys mistake! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68AOltMu768

ShamrockIV
04-29-2008, 11:33 AM
amen 454!!!! mistakes and looking cool can cost u some bucks!!!!

luckily i have been on the lake in my own boat(started with 12 foot john boat) since i was 7 with no injuries to people!!! knock on wood!!!

my biggest worry is my family and guests. boats can be replaced!!

just rememeber to watch all the knuckleheads on the lake!!!
sea doos!!!

they will sell anyone a boat and turn them loose with ZERO training!!!

Killer B
04-29-2008, 11:42 AM
Thanks for all the help guys. Haven't driven a boat since I was a kid but figured it was time to get back into it. Getting too old for other recreational activities, oh yeah and just got divorced and thought it would be fun to show my ex that I can still have fun.........Do I sound bitter????

coz
04-29-2008, 12:03 PM
Thanks for all the help guys. Haven't driven a boat since I was a kid but figured it was time to get back into it. Getting too old for other recreational activities, oh yeah and just got divorced and thought it would be fun to show my ex that I can still have fun.........Do I sound bitter????

Just start getting the toys & things you wanted to do when you were married and that should make her happy :rolleyes:

russlars
04-29-2008, 12:10 PM
Well at least we know that you didn't lose her due to giving too much boat driving advice!:smile:

uawaterskier
04-29-2008, 12:11 PM
take notes kids...this why you DONT get married. YAY for having fun though

peason
04-29-2008, 12:29 PM

With an X2 you should be able to find some 20 something wakeboard passengers who like to pose for the swimwuit thread - you can even e-mail them to your EX! ;) :D

Jonathan94
04-29-2008, 12:29 PM
advise -
1. Enjoy every moment you can with it when you are on the water because the winters can be VERY long when you can only look at it sitting in the shed.

2. Look the other way way when you are paying to fill it up - you have time to save on gas when you are sitting in the shed in the winter looking at the boat.

Doug G
04-29-2008, 12:41 PM
1 Boats are for fun, keep it light
2 when it isn't fun refer to #1

Harvey
04-29-2008, 12:54 PM
1) Know your boat, inside and out. Especially how to operate it.

2) Remember to bring your common sense to the lake, if you have none then stay off my lake.

Oh yeah, wave to other boaters that you see.

wakeX2wake
04-29-2008, 02:02 PM
i missed the X2 part... a man after my own heart... i kept my boat in lieu of buying a new house... since it's been water time it's the best move i could have made... i'm single and 25 and in no short supply of women to look at while i'm driving or getting ready to wakeboard... best advice is be smart and have fun...

i understand that is a far reaching comment but if you ever feel like you're losing total control of a situation or don't feel comfortable that boat has a reverse and i say to hell w/ the people who aren't paying for it

dapicatti
04-29-2008, 02:27 PM
If this is your first inboard, you will notice a difference when you are docking. Take your time, remember that you can't steer the same as a i/o. And, don't yell at your spouse/significant other/anyone else when you hit the dock and scratch the gelcoat because you can't drive the boat---voice of experience here-- scratches buff out, no big deal.

dapicatti
04-29-2008, 02:29 PM
Oh, and Contrats on the X-2! I miss mine already.....you will love the boat.

wakeX2wake
04-29-2008, 02:31 PM
when you put it in reverse in a mastercraft the back of the boat will tend to kick toward the starboard side... you must constantly compensate for this

brucemac
04-29-2008, 02:34 PM
If this is your first inboard, you will notice a difference when you are docking. Take your time, remember that you can't steer the same as a i/o.

boy ain't that the truth!!

i can't tell you how lucky i was last weekend. you should see the bruise on my shoulder from the pressure on the gunnel trying to keep my boat off the dock. :)

the fenders had slipped down and it was a super close call!

i need to take a week day off and go practice a little when the ramp isn't busy. reverse is going to take a couple more practice runs :)

boat's at my mechanic for the full once over, please think happy thoughts for me :)

welcome aboard and congrats on the new boat!

ShamrockIV
04-29-2008, 02:37 PM
when you put it in reverse in a mastercraft the back of the boat will tend to kick toward the starboard side... you must constantly compensate for this

correct grasshopper!!! plus the rudder does not do any good in reverse!!! aft always goes to the starboard!! so i keep wheel turned right and walk the boat to the right with gear shift!!!

dapicatti
04-29-2008, 02:38 PM
i need to take a week day off and go practice a little when the ramp isn't busy. reverse is going to take a couple more practice runs :)

boat's at my mechanic for the full once over, please think happy thoughts......

Great idea, you need a day with no pressure to get it right. I did my stunt on a Saturday at a unfamiliar boat ramp, yelled at my wife like it was her fault that I couldn't drive the boat. Didn't help that there was a restaurant full of people watching us try to dock for the 4th time.

Good luck at the mechanics. Your boat should be fine!

School Skier
04-29-2008, 03:08 PM
Have lots of money for fuel, insurance and maintenance.

Larryp
04-29-2008, 03:30 PM
I've driven out of mud in in my boat, prop makes a good four wheel drive.

454Prostar190
04-29-2008, 04:14 PM
correct grasshopper!!! plus the rudder does not do any good in reverse!!! aft always goes to the starboard!! so i keep wheel turned right and walk the boat to the right with gear shift!!!

Gets pretty tricky! My boat has this oversized 15" prop that I learned was designed for the S and S 454. The boat goes too fast at an idle:(, parking at the dock takes a lot of finess and I more than not... I load it onto the trailer by hand. Other people have tried to drive it on to the trailer, to teach me, and unless they get the absolutely perfect forward run (they didn't) we load it by hand. It is what it is and I am truely open to suggestions.

StuSX
04-30-2008, 05:18 PM
Change the prop?

edeckerpc
05-05-2008, 10:45 PM
Don't forget about the blower... http://www.11alive.com/news/article_news.aspx?storyid=115327

That is a terrible day on the lake. 34' cruiser blew up at the pump on Lake Lanier GA this weekend. The guy filled up and didn't run his blower before kicking on the motor...

Willski
05-05-2008, 11:54 PM
Safety first!! A boat is for fun, but if somthing bad happens, everything gets really quiet.

Also be curteous and give space to other boaters and respect their calm water and their rope!

Taking a boating safety course should be an law. Don't know why it is not.