PDA

View Full Version : Excuse me, but I have bad gas....

Chas
04-28-2008, 03:18 PM
I have some aged fuel in my project S&S - how do I properly dispose of it?

I am in Ventura, in case anyone knows of a place I can take it.

I have burned off old solvent before in a metal container, small amounts at a time. It was time consuming and very smoky - but it worked. Am I going to have to do this with the old gas? I don't guess it would smoke like the solvent did, but I want to be safe and do the least harm to the environment.

Put small amounts of it into other vehicles with full tanks of new gas? Give it to the gardener to burn in his lawnmower or other old, low-compression device?

Any ideas welcome.

Thanks in advance.

:cool:

ShamrockIV
04-28-2008, 03:21 PM
how much u got????

surely u can dispose of a small amount. depends on where u are i guess!!!

wakeX2wake
04-28-2008, 03:26 PM
i would pour it in the most remote body of fresh water in your area...

ok i'm kidding give it to a young kid to play w/...

ok i'm kidding build a fire pour the gasoline into water baloons and tie the up and throw them into the fire... its fun a mildly destructive

Chas
04-28-2008, 03:28 PM
That is a very good question! It dawns on me that I don't the capacity of my MC fuel tank.

I would guess that I have 3/4 of a tank - and IIRC that five gallons made the gauge go from 1/2 up to 3/4 - not that I know how accurate the gauge is!

So I bet I have around 10-15 gallons to deal with.

The last time this happened I had close to forty gallons in a work boat with a huge plastic tank we had to replace. I had a friend with an offshore boat which had two 60 gallon tanks. He gladly took the gas - put it right in his boat, topped off with premium unleaded, and went out into the ocean with no problem. Thanked me every time he saw me for a month, I can imagine what would happen now with the prices of gas!

I just don't want to take chances since I am renovating and tuning this boat - I want fresh fuel - and that friend is now off the scene.

Maristar210
04-28-2008, 04:14 PM
I have some aged fuel in my project S&S - how do I properly dispose of it?

I am in Ventura, in case anyone knows of a place I can take it.

I have burned off old solvent before in a metal container, small amounts at a time. It was time consuming and very smoky - but it worked. Am I going to have to do this with the old gas? I don't guess it would smoke like the solvent did, but I want to be safe and do the least harm to the environment.

Put small amounts of it into other vehicles with full tanks of new gas? Give it to the gardener to burn in his lawnmower or other old, low-compression device?

Any ideas welcome.

Thanks in advance.

:cool:

Give it to a lawnmowing service to use up in thier Mowers !!!!

wakolman
04-28-2008, 05:03 PM
Put it on craigslist.com.
Title it, FREE GAS! Tell them that they need to provide the pump, containers, etc. People will be lining up to take your gas.

Your local government should know who handles that recycling for them, or maybe try your car dealer or oil change shop. Someone can take it off your hands for nothing or a small fee.

TMCNo1
04-28-2008, 08:51 PM
Weed killer!

T Scott
04-28-2008, 09:07 PM
I'd call your local auto parts store. The one isn my area accept used motor oil and might take the 10-15 gallons of gas as well. Worth a call.....

cbryan70
04-28-2008, 09:14 PM
i would make a deal with a landscaping company give them the 10 gallons of gas for some small thing you want done

Dottiesboat
04-28-2008, 09:20 PM
The craigslist sounds great. Easy
I would just parcel it out to my other gasoline vehicles. 4-5 gallons in 25 to 30 won't make any difference.
If preformance does degrade just keep diluting it with fresh gasoline.

ski_king
04-28-2008, 09:28 PM
Like others have said, I would use it in a mower or other "low end" engine.
After checking to see it is clean, and will run in a mower maybe mix it 50/50 with 93 and run it in your truck or car.

FrankSchwab
04-28-2008, 11:49 PM
Just put it in your truck. Fill to 3/4 with good gas, put in 5 gallons of boat gas.

/frank

Workin' 4 Toys
04-29-2008, 09:44 PM
Run it in the lawnmower.