PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever repair a ski?

mrprostar
04-28-2008, 09:32 AM
Took the boat out this weekend for some good skiing. Got up early and found some decent water but before I made my first cut I also found a rock about the size of the boat half an inch under the water. Praise God my head didn't hit the rock and the boat didn't hit the rock. It did put a very nasty gash in my ski. Does anyone know a way to repair something like this? I need to do it before we go out again because the rest of the day every pass would peel away more of the skin and make the gash bigger. I hope the ski is not trashed.

TMCNo1
04-28-2008, 09:42 AM
With that much damage and the skin continuing to peel away, looks like a new ski is in order!

jraben8
04-28-2008, 09:47 AM
Yea, I hate to say it but it's probably toast... but upgrades are always fun!!!

coz
04-28-2008, 10:26 AM
Took the boat out this weekend for some good skiing. Got up early and found some decent water but before I made my first cut I also found a rock about the size of the boat half an inch under the water. Praise God my head didn't hit the rock and the boat didn't hit the rock. It did put a very nasty gash in my ski. Does anyone know a way to repair something like this? I need to do it before we go out again because the rest of the day every pass would peel away more of the skin and make the gash bigger. I hope the ski is not trashed.

Someone needs to mark that boat size rock before it kills someone :rolleyes: Glad it was only the ski that was gashed. :confused:

JimN
04-28-2008, 10:59 AM
Talk to the manufacturer. Tell them what happened, be honest and if they refurb it, it'll be less than buying a new one. They may even comp it. Ya never know until you talk to them.

east tx skier
04-28-2008, 11:08 AM
Go pick up some epoxy puddy. Kneed it up and work it into the gash. Once it cures, sand and wet sand. I fixed up a used CDX that got damaged pretty bad in shipping and it rides great.

h2oskifreak
04-29-2008, 12:59 AM
I had a handle ding fixed on my previous ski. It was at thepoint where the alum. top met the side bevel of the ski. My fiberglass guy did a great job and I used it another year before upgrading. The repair stuck and I still use the ski as a Lake Powell ski or when other people come to ski w/ me. I think if I damaged the bottom of the ski, I would start over, especially if you are a course skier.

sethro
04-29-2008, 08:48 AM
Can you post a pic of the damage, and try it's location on the ski? Having just used West Cost Epoxy with a filler material, I wouldn't hesitate to try a repair.

I've repaired just about every ski and wakeboard I've ever owned with a two part epoxy, but never used a filler material to thicken it up...much easier to work with. Worst damage was probably a CDX with multiple handle shots to the edge of the ski causing it to separate. After the epoxy fix, it withstood even more handle shots to the same area without separating.

ncsone
04-29-2008, 09:34 AM
I have repaired several skis (none were my own) using 2 part epoxy. I just used tape to form a mold around the area to be repaired, poured the mixed epoxy in and let it cure. Once it cured, I filed, sanded, then wet sanded until it matched the shape of the area around it. Not sure if that would work if the damage area is large, say greater than 1.5"x1.5".

east tx skier
04-29-2008, 10:45 AM
I'll go ahead and recommend the epoxy puddy again. So much easier to use in this application than regular epoxy. My wife's CDX that we bought used had the tail pretty well crushed on arrival. A new fin and this repair and it is good as new.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
04-29-2008, 10:55 AM
Can epoxy putty fix defective a Monza?

mrprostar
05-01-2008, 09:11 PM
Here it is.

mrprostar
05-01-2008, 09:13 PM
Another and a little perspective.

MC82powerslot
05-01-2008, 10:31 PM
i am with east tx... go to home depot or lowes and buy some marine grade two part epoxy putty. read the directions and apply as necessary. after that sand and apply a marine grade clear coat sealant and you should be good to go, at least for a while. i just bought some of that putty and it only cost me like 5 bucks. it is at least worth a shot.

mrprostar
05-02-2008, 07:50 AM
Thanks. Thats just a little cheaper than a new ski. How fine was the sand paper you used?

H20skeefreek
05-02-2008, 08:16 AM
Another and a little perspective.
I don't know man, that thing is pretty messed up. That ski is never going to ride the way its supposed to after you go slathering it up with epoxy. I think it might be time to retire that one and buy a new stick.

Ski Bum
05-03-2008, 12:24 AM
I have exploded the whole tip of my ski with the handle. About 10" up from my toes. On the top I used fiber glass. On the side. marine tex and 280 grit sand paper. I ran 3 at 39.5 on this ski at the sky lake classic. And it worked just fine.

Ski Bum
05-03-2008, 12:35 AM
That looks like an old Connelly with microlon speed base. As someone said contact the manufacture. Connelley is real good at giving good deals. Just ask them they mite give you a new one at an EP price if you don't think you can repair it.

123src
05-03-2008, 12:44 AM
Years ago, I sent my CDX back to HO after a handle ding split the alum. deck with the side. They fixed it and sent it back with no charge..... just my :twocents:

123src
05-03-2008, 12:44 AM
oops... Double post......

JohnnyB
05-03-2008, 08:32 AM
Sounds like two good options:

1st....talk to the company, see if they'll fix it and what it might cost
2nd....fill it, sand it, ride it