PDA

View Full Version : VDIG problems

vision
04-28-2008, 12:53 AM
I am about to have my fourth VDIG installed. The first and third had the same problem: a grey square in the middle of the screen that developed after a few hours of use and remains. The second had a bad button.

Anyone else still having VDIG issues that has required more than one replacement? Or do I just have lousy luck?

Holman J.B.F
04-28-2008, 02:44 AM
do you have the latest software installed?
VDigSingle.mem H
look at the set up screen scroll down and see what version you have.
It is a simple update but the dealer will need a cable for it.

H20skeefreek
04-28-2008, 07:23 AM
I'll be putting vdig on my list of things that I will NOT be getting on my next boat.

snork
04-28-2008, 08:28 AM
I'm not too impressed with the 08 X Star dash, especially with the compass, shelf the compass.

vision
04-28-2008, 08:38 AM
do you have the latest software installed?
VDigSingle.mem H
look at the set up screen scroll down and see what version you have.
It is a simple update but the dealer will need a cable for it.

Thanks. I will check when I pick up the boat (again) from the dealer.

CottagerGreg
04-28-2008, 12:46 PM
What is wrong with the compass? (I know everyone seems to have GPS these days)

OhioX14
04-28-2008, 05:03 PM
I am about to have my fourth VDIG installed. The first and third had the same problem: a grey square in the middle of the screen that developed after a few hours of use and remains. The second had a bad button.

Anyone else still having VDIG issues that has required more than one replacement? Or do I just have lousy luck?

I'm on my third with the same problem you are describing on the first two and I am NOT convinced the dark square box had anything to do with the software version as it seemed to get worse with moisture. The third gauge was great when I installed it and for the last few times we used the boat in the fall. I just hope it's as good when when get the boat in the water in the next couple of weeks.

I'm not a big VDIG fan either. About the only thing it gave us was standard PerfectPass and even then it's a little cumbersome to use. I also would rather have separate ballast gauges rather than having to flip back and forth between the PerfectPass and ballast screens during a pull. Unfortunately, when I ordered my boat this is what it came with and I was never offered a choice and neither was my dealer.

Lennyp04
04-28-2008, 05:06 PM
I'll be putting vdig on my list of things that I will NOT be getting on my next boat.

Not that my dad will be buying a new boat anytime soon, it does sound that it is not worth the PITA that it really could be. I like though the sweet wakeboarding scene I get to watch everytime I pull a MC on the trailer at the marina.

erkoehler
04-28-2008, 09:00 PM
After updating the software versions, we haven't had any issues with the gauges. :)

vision
04-28-2008, 11:45 PM
Thanks for the encouragement. This X-Star has been frustrating and I am beginning to regret parting with my 05 X2 which had zero problems.

I actually love the concept of the VDIG and the ability to customize your settings. In fact, work out the bugs and expand the screen to an 8 x 8 touch panel and it would be a huge selling point. I would enjoy having Perfect Pass and ballast levels display on one screen. You could add a rear view camera, a DVD player for watching videos while not running, GPS, etc. The possibilities are endless as long as the display problems can be resolved.

uawaterskier
04-29-2008, 12:33 AM
guess what I did the other day...drove by hand. OMG its CRAZY. When all of that stuff starts a breaking sometimes you just have to do what you can. PP broke on our 197 within 6 hours of use this year.

1boarder
05-27-2008, 04:50 PM
Add me to the list of VDIG victims. I got a gray square in the middle after 9 hours of use. At least my dealer takes care of me.

oakley
05-27-2008, 08:31 PM
I just experienced the same square in the center of mine last weekend with 3 hours. Hopefully it is not a continuous problem. I like the concept.

LKNMC
05-27-2008, 09:31 PM
I got the square in mine on Sunday the boat has 22 hours

Also when I went to check the software on it (which I cannot for the life of me figure out how to find) the system froze up ant I had to turn the batteries off to get it to unfreeze

vision
05-27-2008, 10:24 PM
If it is any consolation, my third VDIG developed the gray square last month after probably 5 hours of use. I decided to wait until the end of the season to go for the fourth VDIG to avoid more loss of water time. The grey square resolved itself after 5 days of the boat sitting and for the last month and 30 boat hours of use, the gray square has not returned. Now, if I could only get the ballast gauges to even be in the ball park.

I checked and I am running the latest software.

dapicatti
05-27-2008, 10:39 PM
Off the subject somewhat, does the VDIG give you the ability to set the ballasts and speed with one button like the new Malibu? That seems to be a nice feature, particularly when my wife drives as she does not like stressing out about the ballast.

msutoad
05-27-2008, 11:04 PM
My 1st VDIG had the grey/black square in the middle as well. I was told that many of the early 08's had problems and that there was a service bulletin on the problem, but nowhere did I hear that people were going through 3 and 4 units. I had mine replaced last Friday, and it seemed to work ok thus far(knock on wood).

vision
05-28-2008, 08:28 AM
Off the subject somewhat, does the VDIG give you the ability to set the ballasts and speed with one button like the new Malibu? That seems to be a nice feature, particularly when my wife drives as she does not like stressing out about the ballast.

No. But what a great idea!. You can already select individual PP settings. Having them linked to ballast settings would be ideal.

skeeler
05-28-2008, 08:53 AM
I do love the Vdig, but mine has the gray square on it also, after about 10 hours on it. MC told me it was a heat issue, similar to burn in on a flat screen.

vision
05-31-2008, 01:05 PM
Definitely not a burn in issue. My grey screen will come and go. May be a heat issue, or a moisture issue. The next step when the VDIG is unhappy is that the blue water logo of the main menu will begin to show up in a wandering square on other screens. My first one did that. Now my third one is doing the same thing.

I now experience errors where you restart and VDIG is on the PP pane, but shows nothing. You have to go to another menu, then back to PP to get the PP data to show up.

As for the rebooting issue (dotted line progress bar on a gray screen), it is definitely related to current on my boat. If I am running on one battery that is slightly run down, the VDIG reboots with every restart. Plenty of juice to start the boat and run. Switch to both batteries, and the VDIG does not reboot. Switch back to one battery, reboots each time. Again, the one battery is just barely low. But, you can tell the second battery increases available current as the blower gets noticeably louder when you switch from one to both batteries.

MC, we need a solution. The firmware update has not solved my problems and I am finding hard to believe that all 3 of my VDIGs have manufacturing problems.

vision
06-14-2008, 02:42 PM
Just in case MC monitors the problem list. My VDIG issues, namely rebooting to a grey screen with progress bar, PP screen being blank for a minute when you restart then suddenly reading, intermittent blue background block (main menu water image) randomly migrating across the screen on pages other than the Main Menu, and perhaps the intermittent ballast readings, are certainly related to the electrical system.

Problems are far less running both batteries versus one, even with both batteries completely charged. At the same time that the VDIG reboots or the PP screen displays nothing for 30 seconds when you restart the boat, the voltage and gas gauges read nothing. The will "spin up" and read for a few seconds, then sudden drop to baseline. Wait 10 to 15 seconds and they start reading again. This corresponds exactly to when either the VDIG reboots or more often when I have a mostly blank PP screen. The gauges then start reading again when the VDIG is also happy again.

The intermittent grey block in the center of the VDIG screen appears unrelated. The grey block seems to occur mostly on days where there are significant temperature swings. A condensation issue perhaps?

Just in case this is useful to some one.

bigmac
06-14-2008, 11:25 PM
Good tips for my next boat...VDIG = bad.

OhioX14
06-22-2008, 09:51 PM
Has anyone that had been having the constant reboots and occassional lockups had these problems completely resolved via a software upgrade from your dealer with a laptop and cable?

Ours reboots almost everytime the boat is started and you have to make your skier wait until the reboot is completed before you can engage PerfectPass and start the pull. There is also the occassional lockup that requires disconnecting the power completely to resolve (fortunately we had a master switch installed last fall for those times where the boat sits for a few weeks).

This is our third VDIG and this one was installed last fall. I'm just curious if anyone else has had these same issues and if a simple software upgrade was the resolution.

Thanks!

TheOneandOnly
06-22-2008, 10:14 PM
I guess to be on the other side I have only had one warning check engine light come one once, it was a fluke restarted the boat and it finally went away. Ever since then I have had no other issues with VDIG. over all I love it a heck of alot more than the typical boring guages. We only have 20hrs on the boat and the boat has been on/off alot... Knock on wood for no issues in the future.

kev88
06-22-2008, 10:46 PM
I like VDIG too - alot. Ours does reboot (the dots) from time to time when starting the engine, but if I press menu or select while it's rebooting it will go staight to the main menu and I don't have to wait.

vision
06-22-2008, 11:45 PM
Has anyone that had been having the constant reboots and occassional lockups had these problems completely resolved via a software upgrade from your dealer with a laptop and cable?

Ours reboots almost everytime the boat is started and you have to make your skier wait until the reboot is completed before you can engage PerfectPass and start the pull. There is also the occassional lockup that requires disconnecting the power completely to resolve (fortunately we had a master switch installed last fall for those times where the boat sits for a few weeks).

This is our third VDIG and this one was installed last fall. I'm just curious if anyone else has had these same issues and if a simple software upgrade was the resolution.

Thanks!

Did not help our problems. Running both batteries decreases the problem frequency however.

skeeler
06-23-2008, 09:16 AM
It sucks to hear all these problems you guys are having with the Vdig. I really like it, and I haven't had to many problems with mine.
One of the first things I did, not sure if this will effect what you guys were just talking about on the reboots, but I went into the set-up menu and shut off the animation "video" that plays at the beginning. Now ever time when I start the boat, the Vdig is ready to go almost instantly.
Now this next part is very strange. Not sure if this will work on other's, but it worked on mine. I was suffering from the gray square in the middle of my screen, pretty much from the time I had 20 hrs on it, and I have 65 hrs now. I went into the set-up menu to find out what Vdig software version I had. When I got to that screen with the software information on it, there is a gray box on the screen below it labeled, "OK". I hit the select button on the Vdig to ok, so to speak, the software version. Restarted the boat, and the gray square was gone! Weird!!! I put another 15 hrs on the boat since then, and no gray square. Can't explain it, but it worked for me.

duckguy
06-23-2008, 11:49 AM
Hmm.. I have the moving square, I played it off as a screen saver esk thing.

skeeler
06-23-2008, 11:50 AM
Hmm.. I have the moving square, I played it off as a screen saver esk thing.
Not sure if that will help with the "moviing water square". Mine was the constant gray "burn in" square always present on the screen.

BrianM
06-23-2008, 11:56 AM
Sounds like this VDIG is turning into another 'Bu Computron.

OhioX14
06-23-2008, 12:54 PM
I too like the concept of the VDIG and all the information it provides. When working correctly my only two complaints are that the buttons to navigate the PerfectPass screens lack any semblance of intuitiveness (perhaps that's just a PerfectPass thing) and I really wish the ballast system has separate gauges to monitor their levels at the same time you're monitoring PerfectPass. Other than that, I like it when it's working correctly.

I took delivery of my '08 in July '07 and have had the head unit of the VDIG replaced twice. Is the software contained in the head unit or in a box somewhere? If in a box, perhaps I'm just running an early version of the software and need the upgrade. If within the head unit, perhaps you all just have a later release than I do. Either way I'm getting an upgrade and hope the reboots and occassional lockups go away.

vision
06-23-2008, 04:16 PM
Skeeler, thanks for the suggestions. I have not tried those settings and it is worth a shot. I too have not had the grey square in a month but I do not know why? Temp? Humidity?

I second Ohio X14s comments on the ballast and PP. Separate ballast gauges would be better and the buttons for PP are amazingly non-intuitive.

I have the latest software running on a head unit from 4 months ago and still have the same issues.

erkoehler
06-23-2008, 04:24 PM
Not sure if that will help with the "moviing water square". Mine was the constant gray "burn in" square always present on the screen.

Skeeler, are you sure your running the latest version of software? Once the "burn" is there, replace the screen and update version to latest available and we haven't had that problem return.

JohnE
06-23-2008, 04:47 PM
I haven't had any issues other than the "moving water square". I had heard enough bad things about vdig that I considered ordering a 214 rather than an X14 so I could omit the vdig. But I'd heard that most of the problems had been worked out so decided to give it a try. I wish I didn't get it, though.

skeeler
06-24-2008, 08:25 AM
Skeeler, are you sure your running the latest version of software? Once the "burn" is there, replace the screen and update version to latest available and we haven't had that problem return.
I know I am running the 1st version software, and needs to be updated. I am holding off until I bring it in next month for a service check, and have it all done at once. I was just glad to get rid of the gray square so I could actually see the PP speed! :D
Hey, just got to thinking, does anyone know what the current Vdig software version is? Thanks!!!

Holman J.B.F
06-25-2008, 06:13 PM
H is the latest upgrade

Prostar19
06-25-2008, 09:59 PM
Have your dealer install the latest software into the Vdig. I have seen some with the dark spot in the center of the screen and after the install of the latest software and cycling the key a few times it goes away. I am not sure if it will solve the other issues but give it a try. Your dealer should have done this before switching out the ones with the dark spot. If he put in another one with the old software you will get the same problem.

oakley
06-25-2008, 10:48 PM
As mentioned earlier I had the same problem. Now all I am doing is making sure my battery switch is off after each use and after 15 more hours, haven't seen it come back.

skeeler
06-26-2008, 09:25 AM
H is the latest upgrade

Thanks!!

TheOneandOnly
07-09-2008, 09:38 PM
I guess to be on the other side I have only had one warning check engine light come one once, it was a fluke restarted the boat and it finally went away. Ever since then I have had no other issues with VDIG. over all I love it a heck of alot more than the typical boring guages. We only have 20hrs on the boat and the boat has been on/off alot... Knock on wood for no issues in the future.

OK, wood knocking didnt work, we now have the faded gray square in the middle of the screen (25hrs). It was just in for the first service a few weeks ago so im inclined to think that the service dept made sure I had the latest-since they checked the fluke service warning pop up, I guess I now have to go check the firmware, is H still current, aw......

TheOneandOnly
07-09-2008, 09:50 PM
ok looks as if its v1.0g, IM assuming i need the upgraded firmware?

JaDon
09-29-2008, 06:43 PM
I now have the grey spot on my’08 and was seeing the same information and symptoms here, but what really got me thinking was Oakley’s post that now he turns his batteries off every time he shuts down and that seems to help. My spot didn’t appear until the one time I didn’t turn my batteries off (for 2-3 weeks). Before that, I shut them off at the end of everyday without any problems. Is it a battery “on” problem?

JohnE
09-29-2008, 07:00 PM
I now have the grey spot on my’08 and was seeing the same information and symptoms here, but what really got me thinking was Oakley’s post that now he turns his batteries off every time he shuts down and that seems to help. My spot didn’t appear until the one time I didn’t turn my batteries off (for 2-3 weeks). Before that, I shut them off at the end of everyday without any problems. Is it a battery “on” problem?

The gray came once then went away on my '08, fwiw. Still get the moving water occasionally.

JaDon
09-29-2008, 08:23 PM
JohnE-
What is your battery disconnect routine? Was it different before the grey appeared?

JohnE
09-29-2008, 08:36 PM
JohnE-
What is your battery disconnect routine? Was it different before the grey appeared?

No routine other than accidentally draining it twice this summer. I never made a correlation between that and the vdig, but I hadn't heard about it until now.

vision
09-29-2008, 11:04 PM
Definitely related to low available amps. Rebooting and grey screens happen more frequently with low battery charge. Mine also has issues when it gets colder, which limits available amps.

2RLAKE
09-30-2008, 06:59 AM
i also installed a battery switch and completely disconnect when we leave the lake ... it seems to help me

MattsCraft
09-30-2008, 09:49 AM
I have an '09 X2, never had this problem yet with VDIG (55 Hours). I read somewhere on here about the Grey square and to fix this was to go into the set up menu and turn off the start up video. When mine was delivered this was already turned off??? Not sure this will fix the grey square problem??? Also, I always switch off the battery when not using the boat.

My biggest issue with VDIG is when I switch on Fill or empty ballest, the ballest screen comes up for a few seconds and then goes back to the last screen in use. I have to then cycle through and pull up the Ballast menu again, not a big deal just a pain. Also, the PP will reset itself to Slalom after the key is cycled off then on, regardless of what setting I was using (i.e. Wakeboard or Surf profile). Again a pain because I forget to reset the iride back to wakeboard or surf profile.

One last question, I do my own service on the boat, changed the oil at 20 hours and reset the oil change reminder in Set Up, now at 50 hours the "Required Service" screen keeps coming back up after every Key Cycle. The reset for this one requires a specific "Dealer" key sequence, anyone know what this is???

Thanks,

Matt

MC X-15
09-30-2008, 11:09 AM
I have an '09 X2, never had this problem yet with VDIG (55 Hours). I read somewhere on here about the Grey square and to fix this was to go into the set up menu and turn off the start up video. When mine was delivered this was already turned off??? Not sure this will fix the grey square problem??? Also, I always switch off the battery when not using the boat.

My biggest issue with VDIG is when I switch on Fill or empty ballest, the ballest screen comes up for a few seconds and then goes back to the last screen in use. I have to then cycle through and pull up the Ballast menu again, not a big deal just a pain. Also, the PP will reset itself to Slalom after the key is cycled off then on, regardless of what setting I was using (i.e. Wakeboard or Surf profile). Again a pain because I forget to reset the iride back to wakeboard or surf profile.

One last question, I do my own service on the boat, changed the oil at 20 hours and reset the oil change reminder in Set Up, now at 50 hours the "Required Service" screen keeps coming back up after every Key Cycle. The reset for this one requires a specific "Dealer" key sequence, anyone know what this is???

Thanks,

Matt

i believe the code is up, down, up, down, worked on mine for the 50hr service reminder dealer key required.

OhioX14
09-30-2008, 11:57 AM
I too have a master switch and turn it off every time. I also upgraded the software on the VDIG back in June (can't remember the version right now), and turned off the startup video. It's now the most stable it's ever been.

The reports of a partially discharged battery having an effect on the VDIG appear to be spot on as it does like to reboot more often when starting the boat when the battery is slightly discharged. Turning the video off and having the latest software appears to help this a lot as you can hit any key to jump right to the screen you need or it will get there rapidly on its own since it doesn't have to load the video. That said, it's ridiculous that this thing should be that voltage sensitive given where it's installed, in a boat!

Between Mastercraft and BU the trend seems to be heading towards all these electronics and I'm not convinced that's in anyone's best interests. I would personally trade the VDIG in a heartbeat for analog ballast gauges and a standard PP or Zero Off display.

2RLAKE
09-30-2008, 12:36 PM
yes that is the service reminder sequence ... should work

MattsCraft
09-30-2008, 01:10 PM
Thanks MC X15 & 2Rlake, will try this and report back.

Loffgren
09-30-2008, 01:39 PM
Love the VDIG, only problem i had was menu button was DOA, when i bought the boat replaced unti works great....

djhuff
09-30-2008, 03:11 PM
i believe the code is up, down, up, down, worked on mine for the 50hr service reminder dealer key required.

Thought it was up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, "B", "A", select, start!!!!

Oh wait, that was Contra.

MC X-15
09-30-2008, 03:12 PM
Thought it was up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, "B", "A", select, start!!!!

Oh wait, that was Contra.

haha you can try but you might get infinite lives

2RLAKE
09-30-2008, 03:26 PM
up, dowm, up, down while singing to the Village People YMCA ...

MattsCraft
09-30-2008, 03:42 PM
:uglyhamme You guys crack me up, kinda like disabling the seat belt reminder on Fords - turn on key, wait 1 hour, buckle un buckle belt 100 times, honk horn three times, run around car 5 times...:firejump:

MattsCraft
10-06-2008, 01:01 PM
FYI - The sequence is Down Up, Down Up. When I looked at the VDIG yesterday, funny thing I never realized until this came up. The Down arrow is on the left, up on the right of the keypad, seems strange to me, my natural thought would be for the up to be on the left side.

Anyway, it worked so thanks for that!

ORX-1
10-06-2008, 01:21 PM
I have been looking at an 08 with and am worried I could end up with the same problems. is there any word if the 09 has these issues taken care of?

MattsCraft
10-06-2008, 02:11 PM
I have an '09 X2, not had any of these issues mentioned here, @ 50 hours now. The only things that happen with mine are only minor software bugs, i would call them.

When switching on Ballast, Ballast Screen comes up for a few seconds, then reverts back to last screen. You have to go into menu and pull the Ballest screen back up. Just a pain, however as I type this I was just wondering, if the Ballast screen will come back up when the tanks are full, :rolleyes: hmmm, will have to try this next week!

When using PP, if you turn off the ignition, reverts to slalom setting, :rolleyes: hmmm I forget to reset about 25% of the time now, kinda freaks out a wakeboarder when you get them up to 28 MPH before you catch it. :uglyhamme We mostly wakeboard and surf, I am the only skier in the group. Not a major issue, just a nuisance.

kgrove
10-06-2008, 02:17 PM
Do you have it set to a named rider or just a manual setting? I have mine (08) set to named riders. If I adjust the speed manually from the saved setting and then later shut off the engine, it goes back to the saved settings but not all the way back to some kind of default.

MattsCraft
10-06-2008, 05:43 PM
Hmm, I have not changed the default names in iride page, I have custom settings for rider 1, 2 , 3 etc. But I have not changed the specific names. Do you think that will do it? I will give that a try.

kgrove
10-06-2008, 06:15 PM
I doubt that just changing the names would work. When you turn the engine on the first time is it in slalom mode and then you manually change it to wakeboard? If so, that would mean that the settings for whatever rider (1,2, etc.) you have selected are saved in slalom and the PP is just powering up to its saved settings. If you edit the rider settings so the default for that rider is wakeboard, it should stay be in wakeboard every time the power cycles on/off regardless of whether you change the name of the rider.

vision
10-06-2008, 10:09 PM
I doubt that just changing the names would work. When you turn the engine on the first time is it in slalom mode and then you manually change it to wakeboard? If so, that would mean that the settings for whatever rider (1,2, etc.) you have selected are saved in slalom and the PP is just powering up to its saved settings. If you edit the rider settings so the default for that rider is wakeboard, it should stay be in wakeboard every time the power cycles on/off regardless of whether you change the name of the rider.

That is correct. PP reboots to the last saved user setting. Just make sure that when you switch a user to wakeboard that you save those settings for that user.