PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pump ?? HELP PLEASE

mpwonka
04-28-2008, 12:26 AM
We were out Friday all day anchored down for dinner and when we tried to re-start the boat acted as if it was not getting any fuel, I dropped the fuel filter and it was bad, Put a new filter on and she still will not fire, I have been told if you hear a high pitched noise that is poor fuel delivery, I suppose next stop is the fuel pump , Any advice on what to check next or if someone can direct me to where my pump is located it would be great ?? Thanks in advance

jwroblew
04-28-2008, 02:51 AM
fuel injected or carberated?

mpwonka
04-28-2008, 01:21 PM
Sorry the boat has the LT1 engine , Fuel injected

jkski
04-28-2008, 02:51 PM
If you know of someone that has a fuel pressure tester, you can simply plug it into the spot on the fuel rail and see what kind of pressure you are getting. While I can not say what yours should be, a dealer can tell you.
With that said, if you click the key on and do not hear the pump whine, it's probably time to replace it. I can tell you that MC was having a problem with some of the fuel pumps a few years ago and they also warn you not to run the gas low, as the in-tank pump can run dry and kll it.

Prostar19
04-28-2008, 03:39 PM
I lost the fuel pump on my 96 LT1 years ago. It had a high pitched whine before it went out. to my best recollection it was on the port side of the engine in my 190 so that would be starboard side in your V-Drive. If you have a volt meter you should be able to check the voltage at the pump to be sure it is getting power.

Chas
04-28-2008, 03:41 PM
I would bet that the filter being clogged would run the risk of damage to the fuel pump just as low fuel level or running out of fuel would. The fuel can't flow through the pump to cool it, it might have died.

Your filter may have been overworking your pump all day, or for the last few times you had to boat out.

I hope it's not the pump, but either way this is a good reminder to the rest of us to keep those filters cleaned!