PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust manifold plugs

ryfly161
04-27-2008, 06:31 PM
Dose any one know where to get the exhaust manifold plugs for a 1988 351? One of mine is starting to crack and i need to replace it and cant find anything that gives me the threading and the size or where to get them. if any one can hel it would be great.

thanks
ryan:cool:

JKTX21
04-27-2008, 06:36 PM
Check skidim.com They usually have what parts apply to your engine.

Also, take care when taking the old ones out and putting new ones in. I stripped one of my manifolds due to it starting to rust and I wasn't paying attention when putting the plugs back in after this winter.

TMCNo1
04-27-2008, 08:20 PM

Also, take care when taking the old ones out and putting new ones in. I stripped one of my manifolds due to it starting to rust and I wasn't paying attention when putting the plugs back in after this winter.

Most any hardware store plumbing dept. or plumbing supply house should have them.

TMCNo1
04-27-2008, 08:20 PM

And, when you install the new ones, apply teflon tape to the plug threads for a good seal and easier removal in the future.

yippikaiyay
04-27-2008, 10:09 PM
Dose any one know where to get the exhaust manifold plugs for a 1988 351? One of mine is starting to crack and i need to replace it and cant find anything that gives me the threading and the size or where to get them. if any one can hel it would be great.

thanks
ryan:cool:

I've got a 1997 Indmar 5.7 litre GM, and just replaced my plugs too.
They are 3/4" NPT (tapered pipe thread). I had found these in brass at a plumbing store, but it had a hard time getting started on the threads, with the rust, and 10 years of use on the manifold. So searched further and found plastic 3/4" NPT, at Home Depot, which start on the threads just fine.

JDK
04-28-2008, 03:29 AM
but it had a hard time getting started on the threads, with the rust, and 10 years of use on the manifold.

Go to Princess Auto and buy a 3/4"npt tap and clean up the threads. Us lots of grease while you're chasing the threads, and you'll be good for another 10 yrs.

learjet2230
04-28-2008, 09:31 AM
I just changed my manifolds and have the old ones. PM me and I'll get them to ya if ya want them.

gigem75
04-30-2008, 04:14 PM
I'd put a petcock in the plugs to make winterizing eaiser.