PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Heater install

CBergerson
04-27-2008, 02:12 PM
I am trying to install a heater in my 2003 PS 197 MCX. I have read all of the install threads for showers and heaters. My shower gets its hot water feed from the port side block drain. My MCX does not have dual knock sensors as I have seen mentioned. Is this something that comes after 2003?

My problem is that there is not enough room to hook up at any of the locations that are usually suggested. I don't want to share the source with the shower because of volume and debris concerns.

On the top of the manifold, there is a fuel line in the way, as shown in the first attached picture. There are also two plugs, directly on the front and on each side of the thermostat/pump housing.

Any suggestions on what to attempt here?

JerryS
04-27-2008, 02:35 PM
Hmmm, the 06 and 07 MCX certainly don't have that fuel line leading into the front of the rail. Can you perhaps utilize a 90 degree fitting out of the top of block so you can go under that line? Hard to tell, but the fitting from this 06' MCX install has the 45 degree angle. Could you manipulate that fuel line a little bit so that this 45 could work?

CBergerson
04-27-2008, 03:07 PM
Hmmm, the 06 and 07 MCX certainly don't have that fuel line leading into the front of the rail. Can you perhaps utilize a 90 degree fitting out of the top of block so you can go under that line? Hard to tell, but the fitting from this 06' MCX install has the 45 degree angle. Could you manipulate that fuel line a little bit so that this 45 could work?

Thanks for the suggestion. But, there is not enough room and the line is very rigid and I don't want to disassemble anything. There was barely enough room to actually get the plug out.

I was just outside looking and I should be able to add a Tee to where the temp sending unit goes on the opposite side of the manifold from the first picture. There is plenty of room on this side and it shouldn't hurt or interfere with the operation of the sending unit.

dsoby
04-27-2008, 04:30 PM
My heater water is tapped off of the left (port side) head slightly above and between the 2nd and 3rd spark pulgs. This is where heatercraft suggested I tap it back in 03. The hole originally had a plug in it.

CBergerson
04-27-2008, 05:29 PM
My heater water is tapped off of the left (port side) head slightly above and between the 2nd and 3rd spark pulgs. This is where heatercraft suggested I tap it back in 03. The hole originally had a plug in it.

I see this plug, but it is in a tight location. The previous owner (Andy) changed the exhaust manifold so it is not stock and therefore must not align the same way.

Do you think there are any issues to T-ing off of the hole for the temp sending unit?

dsoby
04-27-2008, 05:54 PM
Chad,
If I were you, I'd just tap both heater and shower off of the same spot.
The heater will not work well at idle speed which is when you will probably be using your shower. I have never used both at the same time.

mcxfan
04-28-2008, 10:46 AM
Hello, I am having the same issue on an 06' X2 with an MCX motor. I have the heater installed on the top of the block, but the ports below the manifolds look as if they have two knock sensors. Is this the case? Where do the newer boats tap a shower and a heater?

CBergerson
04-28-2008, 01:48 PM
Here is a picture showing where I tapped into the temp sending unit. I put in a tee fitting and attached the sending unit fitting at the top of the tee. The shutoff value comes out the side of the tee and has a hose barb waiting for me to connect the heater hose to it.

I think that this should work fine if it does not adversely affect the function of the temperature gauge/sending unit.

What do others think and have you done it this way without problems?

Thanks.

Jerseydave
04-28-2008, 02:13 PM
Just did mine.......'05 MCX in my X-star.

Hot water source, same as your first pic with a 45 degree angle fitting that was already there. I just removed the pipe-plug from it and installed my water shut-off valve (looks like the valve in pic from JerryS). It clears the fuel line okay.

Cold water source, port-side (on a v-drive boat) of water pump there is a pipe plug. Just remove it and install straight fitting that came with my Heatercraft heater kit.

NoSubstitute
06-29-2009, 01:48 PM

I'm guessing that this plug would be on the right (starboard) side on an X-10 with a MCX. Is this a better tap than the block drain plug? Which side (for a v-drive) would the block drain plug be?