PDA

View Full Version : Installing fuel gauge sender

daverbeck
04-27-2008, 01:22 AM
Bought a new fuel sender for my '94 Prosport 205. Do I need to remove or at least partially slide the tank forward to do this?

Doesn't llok like there is enough clearance to get the unit the old out / re-install the new one even if I can get the screws out using an angle phillips screw driver?

Anyone do this recently?

Thanks
Dave

russlars
04-28-2008, 01:24 PM
I have not replaced the sending unit, but when I replaced the fuel filter on my '99 205 I had to slide the fuel tank forward so that I could get the fuel pump and filter out of the tank, otherwise it would not clear the transom overhang to remove it. It also made removing the screws much easier.

chevy08bud
04-28-2008, 02:11 PM
You'll have to remove the two brackets that are securing the fuel tank to the floor of the boat. Once these are unscrewed, then slide the fuel tank foward and swap out your parts. As long as your tank is not too full, it is a very easy job. Make sure to check the polarity on the new sender with the polarity on the harness in the boat. I got a new style sender and plugged it in to the existing sender and got nothing. After looking at everything again, I had to make a harness jumper from a two wire trailer harness to make positive go to positive and negative go to negative. If you need some clarity on this procedure, let me know.

Prostar205mrk
05-13-2008, 04:45 PM
My new sender came with a plug, where as my existing sender lands on terminals. How did you verfiy polarity?