PDA

View Full Version : !995 Prostar 190 sluggish hole shot

dave3202
04-26-2008, 08:23 PM
I have a 1995 prostar 190, 275 HP EFI, Throttlebody injected.
Hi, Everyone. Has anyone experienced this: Put into gear, then hammer down. When I do this, it bogs. If you pull back on the throttle, it recovers and then proceeds to launch out of the hole. The engine idles perfect, and operates normal, except for the holeshot. If you ease the throttle down, it doesn't bog, but the hole shot suffers. Does anyone have any ideas of what part or piece is bad. Thanks

flya750
04-26-2008, 08:32 PM
Does this Prostar have cruise control?

dave3202
04-26-2008, 08:43 PM
No it does not

T Scott
04-26-2008, 08:55 PM
Sounds to me as if it starving for fuel with a load. I'd start by checking/replacing your fuel filters. Someone much brighter than me will be along shortly with additional ideas and suggestions.

jimmer2880
04-27-2008, 08:20 AM
I agree with T Scott.

If changing the fuel filter doesn't help (it's between the pump and the TBI), I would check the inlet screen on the pump. Your pump is at the lower, rear of your motor. It'll be a black cylinder with 2 lines entering it from the bottom, and 1 line coming out of the top. Remove the pump from the boat, then remove the fitting that enters straight into the bottom of the pump. After you remove that fitting, look into the pump. You should see a screen (or, a bunch of debris).

dave3202
04-27-2008, 10:03 AM
Thanks, I'll check the filter and let you know if that was it.

erkoehler
04-27-2008, 11:41 AM
While your working on things, clean out the air filter.....I think you have a LT-1 right?

Should have a K&N filter, when is the last time it was cleaned/oiled?

JimN
04-27-2008, 02:34 PM
It's TBI.

Yours may have a fuel/water separator, somewhere in the bilge. If not, it may have a primary filter at teh tank and a secondary near the pump. It also has a screen in the pump inlet, which has been known to clog with things like carpet fibers. If you hear the pump screech, it's starving for fuel.

If this boat is new to you, assume it has run out of gas several times, at this point. Running a fuel pump dry kills the impeller, and causes things like this to happen.

Since most driveability issues are fuel-related, the first thing to do is check the fuel pressure. On this motor, it should be about 18 pounds, +/- a little but unfortunately for you, I doubt that your motor has a Shrader valve for this.

****Cutting a metal fuel line and adding a fitting with rubber hose and hose clamps in NOT an option for this. If you do cut a metal line, do it right and use the same kind of fittings as what are on it. At a minimum, use compression fittings.*****

The pressure needs to be checked at key ON, idle, 2000 RPM and WOT. If it reads low at any point, the pump or lines are suspect. If it's OK at key ON but not at high RPM, filters and fuel pickup tube should all be checked. Also, it has an anti-siphon valve at the tank's outlet and a fuel shut-off valve. Make sure those aren't clogged or in the case of the shut-off, make sure the metal tab in aligned with the fuel line. If it's angled to one side, the valve is partially closed.