PDA

View Full Version : Is there a realtor in the house part 2

JohnnyB
04-26-2008, 09:32 AM
Good news: have accepted offer on the river lot and now need to work through the long list of contingencies.....looking like it'll work out.

Bad news: need to get my house ready to sell in a tough market. Any pointers on things I should focus on besides general cleaning/decluttering???

Jerseydave
04-26-2008, 09:40 AM
I'm not a realtor, but I would say:

-Paint your interior neutral colors

-Get rid of any personal items such as family pictures, etc.

-Stage your house to look like a model that's turn-key and ready to move into.

-DON'T overprice it, realize what the market is and be reasonable. I've seen too many people ask for the moon only to have their house sit on the market for over a year, only to get 15% less than the initial asking price after all. (My neighbor started at $965K and sold 1 1/2 years later for $825K.)

BrianM
04-26-2008, 10:00 AM
The things njskier said are great. Especially not to overprice. With the market the way it is it is essential that a home is priced right to start with. Having a home sit on the market with an inflated price does nothing for you. People start to wonder what else may be wrong with it and or won't look at it because it is priced high.

One thing on decluttering. For the house to show its best most people should remove 1/3 to 1/2 of the furniture. Makes the place look bigger but also removes a bit of the personalzation. This helps people visualize the space with their stuff in it.

Also absolutely essential to have the most curb appeal possible. Spend some money to really have the front of the house looking top notch. Paint the trim if needed, paint or stain the front door so it looks fresh. Plant lots of annuals that have lots of color. Keep the grass immaculate. Make people want to come inside.

2RLAKE
04-26-2008, 10:19 AM
other thing is dont have too much landscaping ... my brother has been selling his house for a year ... he has enough landscaping for a neighborhood ... way too powerful. Two years ago, we tried to sell ours by ourself for 3 months. We listed it with a realtor, did exacty what njskier said, moved some stuff to storage, even took down my elk head ... had it sold within the week. I also wasn't greedy. Pick you lowest acceptable price down and stick with it. If it sits for 3-6 months what price would you sell for then ... get that bottom dollar figured out before anyone looks and gives you an offer

good luck

h2oskifreak
04-26-2008, 12:33 PM
I am a Broker and all good suggestions here. Price and condition are what gets results in a down market. View the competition personally, get a top producer who knows the current market and make sure ever person who looks at you house will consider it strongly because of the way the home shows and apeals based on price. Some markets are getting very few showings, make the best of the ones who do come.

VOLFAN
04-26-2008, 03:05 PM
my wife is a Realtor you can PM her (AgentHeather) on here. I am sure she would give you some pointers. Her website addy is www.HeatherSellsHouses.com

dapicatti
04-26-2008, 04:24 PM
Best advice is to remember that your house is no longer yours once you put it on the market. Treat it like an investment, do the things that will make you the most cash- no repairs should be visible to anyone, fix all the little stuff that catches a outsiders eye. Take down all photos and collections that make it "yours". Good luck.

JohnnyB
04-26-2008, 10:02 PM
All good advice...working on declutter/depersonalize this weekend.

Hopefully will do some small fix-ups next weekend:

-Paint touch ups
-repaint entry doors
-fix 1 low spot in my brick patio
-add planters or perrenials to the front beds
-burn up all my scrap firewood

As soon as I'm sure the new lot is a slam dunk, I'm going to move a significant amount of furniture, toys, etc to a storage unit.

As far as entry doors, should I go plain white (current color) or go with a berry color that matches other attributes of the house inside and out?

Keep the thoughts coming, I appreciate it.

Planning on having my chosen broker do a walkthrough late next week or early the following week to give me some final advising.

Willski
04-27-2008, 12:44 AM
I was going to suggest what others did. If there are any rooms with more furniture than what really fits, it can appear crowded. Spruc it up with curb appeal. First impressions are important. (By the way, I'm not a realtor, but I have seen them on TV)

dapicatti
04-27-2008, 04:31 AM
All good advice...working on declutter/depersonalize this weekend.

Hopefully will do some small fix-ups next weekend:

-Paint touch ups
-repaint entry doors
-fix 1 low spot in my brick patio
-add planters or perrenials to the front beds
-burn up all my scrap firewood

As soon as I'm sure the new lot is a slam dunk, I'm going to move a significant amount of furniture, toys, etc to a storage unit.

As far as entry doors, should I go plain white (current color) or go with a berry color that matches other attributes of the house inside and out?

Keep the thoughts coming, I appreciate it.

Planning on having my chosen broker do a walkthrough late next week or early the following week to give me some final advising.

Great plan. I would stick to a neutral color on the entry doors, not everyone has the same taste. Make sure your plants look fresh and new, so if you have old bushes you may want to trim or remove them. Start watching those TLC and HGTV shows about "Sell this house" or "Curb Appeal"- really great ideas for free. Home staging really works, remember you are showing off your house, not your stuff.

Good Luck-
(we used this same approach when we sold my moms house- she was so mad when we boxed up all of her collections and put them in storage- and got rid of every silk plant and flower- but the house sold on the very first day of the open house.....don't think it would have with all of her personal effects.)

JohnnyB
04-27-2008, 08:38 AM
so if you have old bushes you may want to trim or remove them.

Bushes get seriously trimmed every fall....almost down to the ground. By July, they look good and by October they get unruly.....we want to be able to see the house so we keep them under control.

Bushes on the front walk got pulled out last year because we didn't like their appearance and they seem to be a fly haven. I'm thinking about three large pots with blooming perrenials on stepping stones in the beds along the front walk....will give immediate color that I can manage/replant as necessary to maintain "a look".

VirtualWi
04-27-2008, 09:07 AM
Being a photographer for Real Estate over 7 years, I believe professional photos are imperative. You can take a nice home and make it look really ugly with some basic photos (narrow lens, bad flash, not knowing camera settings, etc.). Too many Realtors take their own photos now and use bad software to create a "virtual tour". Big mistake. You should find a professional to do the same - someone with the right lenses, flash, and software. Should be under $100 and it will go a long way.

Make sure all those other things are done first! Your photos last forever and will be on several web sites - if they do not portray your home in the best way possible, you simply will not get showings. Studies show that quality photos and tours bring in buyers from farther away and also produce better showings. What's the first thing people look at online when shopping for a home?? Not the bedroom sizes! It's always the price and photos.

I'd provide one for free to ya, but I am not in your area :)

Chas
04-27-2008, 09:48 AM
Great tip.

h2oskifreak
04-27-2008, 09:51 PM
I agree, I use a professional every time and it does pay. The do it yourself virtual tours are not the best. Besides when the home is sold, you will have a great rememberance of the old place. I always give my clients a disc with the still photos and V.T on it and they seem to appreciate it.

I QUOTE=VirtualWi]Being a photographer for Real Estate over 7 years, I believe professional photos are imperative. You can take a nice home and make it look really ugly with some basic photos (narrow lens, bad flash, not knowing camera settings, etc.). Too many Realtors take their own photos now and use bad software to create a "virtual tour". Big mistake. You should find a professional to do the same - someone with the right lenses, flash, and software. Should be under $100 and it will go a long way.

Make sure all those other things are done first! Your photos last forever and will be on several web sites - if they do not portray your home in the best way possible, you simply will not get showings. Studies show that quality photos and tours bring in buyers from farther away and also produce better showings. What's the first thing people look at online when shopping for a home?? Not the bedroom sizes! It's always the price and photos.

I'd provide one for free to ya, but I am not in your area :)[/QUOTE]

CarlosCabanas
04-28-2008, 05:46 PM
Don't forget that decluttering means renting storage... not stacking it in the garage!! People will just notice that there is not enough storage if you do this!!