PDA

View Full Version : Gelcoat

climbinggod
04-26-2008, 12:01 AM
Hi all, I have been searching the forum on buffing gelcoat but not found an answer yet. Before I bought my boat it had had a repair on the rear corner. Where the repair is the gelcoat is real shiny. The original gel is a little more faded. The problem is that there is a line where the 2 meet. I did read about gelcoat layers and buffing through them. Does anyone know how to match the layers??

jeverett
04-28-2008, 02:11 AM
Unfortunately color matching gelcoat is a tough thing to do. The best place to go is www.spectrumcolor.com You may be able to minimize the dramatic line by wetsanding, and then buffing with a compound.

WTRSK1R
05-03-2008, 09:56 PM
If the line is from a color difference, you will never make it go away. If it from a gloss difference in the gel, you should be able to blend it in. Start with either 400 or 600 grit wet sand paper and wet sand the area where the old gel meets the repair. If you started with 400, work your way to the 600, if you started with 600, wet sand with 1000 grit. Either way sand very lightly with water with each grit level. The gel is NOT thick. Be very careful! After that use Meguiars Oxidation remover for restoring faded gel to buff out the remaining fine scratches left from the 1000 grit wetsanding. It is a process, but if the color is a match, you should be able to get the transition of the gloss of the gel to blend in. Or... you may just decide you like to look so much you want to go over the whole hull with the Meguiars or maybe even the 1000 grit wet sandpaper followed by the Meguiars.