PDA

View Full Version : boat anchor

TheOneandOnly
04-25-2008, 10:08 PM
we just purchased a new boat (x2) and am looking for some advice on the best anchor to get? we'd more than likely only using it close to shore.

Also bumpers which kind should we get? Were looking at the tube kind but have herd they roll alot as such we dont want them to do so and accidently get dock rash. What kind do you guys use and have good luck with??

C36
04-26-2008, 01:14 AM
we just purchased a new boat (x2) and am looking for some advice on the best anchor to get? we'd more than likely only using it close to shore.

Also bumpers which kind should we get? Were looking at the tube kind but have herd they roll alot as such we dont want them to do so and accidently get dock rash. What kind do you guys use and have good luck with??

There are some comments on anchors in this thread:
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=9737&highlight=anchor
My vote for "Fortess Anchor" is in post #15.

As for bumpers I went with G5's (from memory) - oversized but I am rather protective of our boat. You can see them in this picture:
http://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/data/500/medium/3170.jpg

Hope this is helpful. :)

jsc0324
04-26-2008, 01:31 AM
http://www.slideanchor.com/images/pdb0606.pdf

This is an advertisement for the slide anchor, but it also gives you some ideas for other types of anchors. I bought a box anchor and love how it folds. I stow it under the observer's seat without issues.

FrankSchwab
04-26-2008, 02:04 AM
I second jsc0324's suggestion. They're a bit pricey, but they hold excellent, and fold well. Camped with a buddy up at Lake Powell - he put out his two anchors for his PS190, with 30 degrees or so between them, backed'em in so they were nice and buried, then put on his mask to verify them. I tossed my box anchor overboard.

Got some nice 60 mph breezes one evening for an hour or so, coming straight across the bay. Lot of chop and swells. AFter the storm, he spent half an hour resetting his because they'd dragged across the bottom. He was quite jealous; my single anchor hadn't moved.

I actually carry two in the boat - the box for serious anchoring, and a 10 pound rubber-coated mushroom for "let's jump in and cool off". The mushroom takes about two minutes less to toss and retrieve.

/frank

Chief
04-26-2008, 06:37 AM

I carry three: One fluke and two mushrooms. The high freeboard gives the wind alot to push.

Sodar
04-26-2008, 10:30 AM
Box anchors are the best holding shallow water anchors I have seen. They are pricey, but worth it!

mbtka
04-26-2008, 10:43 AM
All I've ever used is the mushroom style anchor but the box anchors sound like they work well.

corey
04-26-2008, 11:07 AM
I usually use a navy anchor, I think its 12-15 lbs.

dpolen
04-26-2008, 11:17 AM
Get two...the mushroom anchor is a great 2nd for when you want to anchor out in shallower water and don't want the boat to change positions. Ie...big island on Lake Minnetonka.

Where do you boat at in Minnesota?

TheOneandOnly
04-26-2008, 12:01 PM
Get two...the mushroom anchor is a great 2nd for when you want to anchor out in shallower water and don't want the boat to change positions. Ie...big island on Lake Minnetonka.

Where do you boat at in Minnesota?

We will be coming out to minnetonka a few times this year, never been to big island, were up in elk river so will be going to lakes around there (big lake, orono, coon lake, lake george, we will be all over this yr since its our first new MC.) Where do you ride?

That box anchor looks sweet, we may have to go this route. Anyone have the shore spike with theirs, curious on how easy it is to stake in the ground.

TMCNo1
04-26-2008, 12:47 PM
Box anchors are the best holding shallow water anchors I have seen. They are pricey, but worth it!

I tried to use a Purdy MasterCraft Box as a box anchor for our MC once, but it came all to pieces in the water! What do I know, ya live and learn!:rolleyes: :D

FrankSchwab
04-26-2008, 12:53 PM
The shore spikes are quite popular with the Lake Havasu crowd down here. If the shores that you want to tie up to are dirt, then they work great. The sliding hammer action allows both insertion and removal to be quick, easy, and solid.

The Slide Anchor people sell a version here (http://www.slideanchor.com/spike.asp).

/frank

dpolen
04-26-2008, 09:08 PM
Where do you ride?

We normally ski in Halsted's Bay...its a pretty good spot, especially early in the AM...fairly decent wind protection. We slip our boat in Spring Park Bay, so we can be over to Halsteds in less than 10 minutes at WOT.

H20skeefreek
04-26-2008, 09:19 PM
I just hook on to a jump anchor at the lake with no jump attached to it. It's a 200+ lbs. cement slab.

TMCNo1
04-26-2008, 10:42 PM
These work great for short stays and day trips to use to anchor a boat close to shore on the shore with a anchor off the transom or the other way around.

Doug G
04-26-2008, 11:40 PM
Box anchor. Nothing else holds like it

dapicatti
04-27-2008, 03:23 AM
For bumpers, we use the flat folding type, you can get at ovetons or anywhere else. They worked great on the X-2, should work on the X-star. They really protect well.