PDA

View Full Version : New Owner of 89 Tristar

nwarhol1105
04-25-2008, 10:17 PM
I bought my first Mastercraft this past weekend. I had to drive to Chicago to get it because I could not find any deals in Minnesota where I live. The only thing that concerns me is that I don't have brakes on my tandem axle trailer...is this uncommon? Could they be added? Other than that, I was amazed how effortlessly my V6 Explorer towed it. I couldn't be more happy after having it on the lake for the first time this week! Looking foward to a great season. I was told this is the best place to be if I ever need any advice. Thanks in advance.

justinlkgb
04-25-2008, 10:25 PM
Welcome, and what part of MN are you in?

I wouldn't worry unless your planning on trailering more than 3-4 times a year. Otherwise I think you can get kits for surge brakes. Others will have more soon.

nwarhol1105
04-25-2008, 10:37 PM
I am in White Bear Lake, which is a Northeast suburb of the Twin Cities. I plan on using the boat mostly on the upper St. Croix River because we have a houseboat there and the water tends to be glass more often than not.

flipper
04-25-2008, 10:43 PM
Congrats on the new boat. I would say no brakes is kind of uncommon, but not a huge deal if you're careful. An Explorer is kind of light though, and may consider a surge brake kit though. Not cheap, but if you have to stop quick, well worth it IMO. If possible, get disc.

JohnE
04-25-2008, 10:51 PM
Welcome to the forum. I had an 88 tristar that I sold a little over a year ago. Good luck with it. You will enjoy it. Post some pic's when you can.

nwarhol1105
04-25-2008, 11:13 PM
I just found an ad for the boat I ended up buying on this site. Here is a link to the ad.

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=22646

All the pics I took are to large to post.

TMCNo1
04-25-2008, 11:40 PM
Congratulations on the purchase.
Those era trailer usually did not have brakes unless they were special ordered that way by a customer or a dealer.
Yes, brakes can be added if there is a rectangular plate on the axle behind the spindle for the backing plates for electric, surge drum or disc and with the surge, a brake actuator will have to be attached or built into the trailer tongue. I retrofitted our '89 PS 190 single axle trailer with surge disc brakes for around $500 dollars in 1997 and have never regretted it.

mbtka
04-26-2008, 04:50 AM
Welcome, and congrats on the new boat. Hopefully this lovely weather will go away and we can get some of the ice melted off our lakes.