PDA

View Full Version : Chains on boat lift

vision
04-25-2008, 08:29 PM
I know some one mentioned this in a thread during the last few months but I can not find it.

Why is the lift cradle for a boat house lift typically attached to the lift wires by a chain? Why not just attach the wires to the cradle? I ask as one of the chains on my lift snapped sending my MC into the water. No damage to the boat. A link simply spread apart releasing the cradle. Dead center of the chain.

uawaterskier
04-25-2008, 09:42 PM
My best guess is because the wire would wear through on the metal of the cradle. How old are you chains? We just replaced all the chains and stuff on our lift because they were rusted up bad. Its definately something you have to keep an eye on.

vision
04-25-2008, 10:07 PM
Our galvanized chains externally looked great. They are about 7 years old. Your right though, maybe best to periodically replace.

uawaterskier
04-25-2008, 11:10 PM
yeah, our last set wasn't galvanized, but our new set is

LKNMC
04-25-2008, 11:50 PM
our cable is not attached to chains

glad no damage was done to your boat must have been scary seeing your boat like that

atlfootr
04-26-2008, 10:06 AM
our cable is not attached to chins Mine ither nor are they attached to any chains :rolleyes:
And I just posted something to Admin regarding "SPELLCHECK" :o

LKNMC
04-26-2008, 10:27 AM
^^^^^ Sorry abut thad didn't see it

jimmer2880
04-26-2008, 07:20 PM
My cradle is attached directly to the cable (well, I have a clevis between, but almost directly).

Be careful with your cables guys. Especially if they have some years on them. They will go bad from the inside-out. I've seen many cables fail that looked great on the outside.

One habbit many around here have gotten into, is, every couple years, cut about 10 inches of cable off and re-make the loop. Seems the cables tend to fail more often where they are either clamped, or looped.

vision
04-26-2008, 07:54 PM
Jimmer is correct according to the person who builds lifts on our lake and built ours. I stopped by his shop today. He said they use chains for the lower 3 feet so that your cable is not sitting in the water. Even the stainless steel cables can eventually corrode from the inside due to water trapped between the fibers of the cable. You never know until they snap. But chains can not corrode from the inside.

They just plain old fail like mine did!