PDA

View Full Version : Transmission slipping in 08 X-star?

vision
04-25-2008, 08:19 PM
My 08 X-star is having issues. Boarding all morning with no issues. It suddenly had difficulty gaining speed. Throttle it to 3500 or 4000 rpm and the boat acts like you are dragging an anchor and just gets up to 12 to 14 MPH. Shut it off, restart, and it now reaches speed, but slower than normal. Start again a few hours later, same problem. No change in ballast in the boat.

Motor sounds great, no vibrations, perfect pass off, all parameters besides speed normal. Acts like a manual car with a slipping clutch. No water in the transmission oil.

Pulled the boat out of the water onto the trailer and nothing looks unusual. Prop not loose. But, I noticed that whether in neutral, reverse, or forward, you can spin the prop and shaft both directions. I thought the transmission was a straight gear to gear with no torque converter?

TMCNo1
04-25-2008, 08:59 PM
I would be getting it back to the dealer ASAP if I were you!

vision
04-25-2008, 09:23 PM
Agreed. Going tomorrow. My 05 X2 had 500 hours over 4 years and never a single problem. This X-star has 45 hours and has spent more time at the dealer than in the water.

Ole Miss Rebels
04-25-2008, 10:21 PM
sounds like possibly a flex plate. i had one go out in my 99 205V AND my 05 XSTAR. when they turn loose you are dead in the water. keep an anchor handy. also, when they blow apart they can tear up the housing and cause major damage in the engine compartment. i am very gentle on my transmission and my dealer told me the only way they wear out is by not allowing the transmission to realize neutral when going from forward to reverse and back to forward, etc. he also said that they are usually bullet proof.

erkoehler
04-28-2008, 09:14 PM
Agreed. Going tomorrow. My 05 X2 had 500 hours over 4 years and never a single problem. This X-star has 45 hours and has spent more time at the dealer than in the water.

What did the dealer find, who is your dealer?

vision
04-28-2008, 11:36 PM
No word yet. Rained here today so my dealer likely could not get the boat out on the lake.

My Dealer is Boats Unlimited in Durham NC. Good people. Thanks for asking. I will post when we have an answer.

djhuff
04-29-2008, 08:08 AM
Vision, where do you ride???

I'm in Cary as well, but I head to Falls to get my ride on.

vision
04-29-2008, 12:13 PM
Vision, where do you ride???

I'm in Cary as well, but I head to Falls to get my ride on.

We have a place at Gaston which is where my boat normally lives. If you ever want to ride up at Gaston, we have a ramp in our community at the Southwest side of the lake. Just give me shout. I had planned on riding Friday thru Sunday of this week, but I fear I will not have a boat for awhile.

If you ever need extra human ballast and gas money for going to Falls, let me know. I suck but I am happy to contribute to the gas fund and drive the boat for others.

bobbyB
04-29-2008, 02:11 PM
Had something simular happen out on a week long camp trip last year. Wouldn't eccelerate well. Top speed was down to about 25 and then it would feel like the tarny started to slip. Wouldn't turn well.

Checked motor oil. Checked trany fluid...all ok. At this point I'm thinking major trany problem. Idoled back to the dock and dove under the boat to check the prop and rudder....all ok:confused: While under the boat I saw a small "V" shaped stick that had hooked itself on one of the stabilizer fins...pulled it off, but never thought that would be the cause of all the problems. Wrong! That "V" shaped stick was only about 10" long and it caused all of it. Boat was fine.8p

WTRSK1R
04-29-2008, 02:16 PM
Pulled the boat out of the water onto the trailer and nothing looks unusual. Prop not loose. But, I noticed that whether in neutral, reverse, or forward, you can spin the prop and shaft both directions. I thought the transmission was a straight gear to gear with no torque converter?

Nope. The transmission is not Geared. It is hydrostatic, and if the boat is not running there is no hydraulic pressure so the prop can be spun. That is COMPLETELY normal.

Steve

treptowr
05-05-2008, 03:48 PM
Any word on what the problem was yet?

vision
05-05-2008, 04:29 PM
Thanks WTRSK1R for the info. Our dealer, who is excellent, ran the boat last week for an hour at a local lake. No problems. I dropped it in the water and we wake boarded for about 6 hours on Friday with no problems. I am thinking that it may have been something similar to what bobbyB wrote. Perhaps some foreign material on the prop or fin was the culprit. By the time I idled back to the dock, backed up a few times, and then headed to the boat ramp, the material may have dislodged. That may also explain why the boat would back up straight instead of walking to the starboard side when I was maneuvering around the dock before I headed to the ramp.

I am glad that nothing showed up on such a new boat. But it still makes me nervous when I am miles from the dock.

I have to give a shout out to Boats Unlimited in Durham NC. They ran the boat in their shop and noticed no problems. They then trailered my boat to a local lake, rode around for an hour to make sure it water tested without a problem. All this for no charge.

djhuff
05-05-2008, 05:01 PM
vision, I'll let you know. We are settling into our usual Wednesday evening runs now and I'll get in touch if we have any extra space.

vision
05-05-2008, 11:08 PM
Thanks. I am good for gas money and of course human ballast. If you ever want to make a run up to Gaston, let me know.