PDA

View Full Version : Value of earlier model MC's????? Investment opportunity or not

chrisbank
04-25-2008, 06:00 PM
I have found a couple of really nice MC's that would potentially make nice collector boats.

Any thoughts on what the value of eariler model MC's - 1973-1976 models will do in the future?

The boats I am looking at are clean with good stringers, floors and mechanically sound. Not customized, very close to stock.

chrisbank
04-25-2008, 06:00 PM
I have found a couple of really nice MC's that would potentially make nice collector boats.

Any thoughts on what the value of eariler model MC's - 1973-1976 models will do in the future?

The boats I am looking at are clean with good stringers, floors and mechanically sound. Not customized, very close to stock.

TMCNo1
04-25-2008, 07:07 PM
They will definately not sell like collector cars @ Barrett/Jackson!

shepherd
04-25-2008, 08:56 PM
Personally, I couldn't see one them selling for more than $10k, even in perfect restored condition. We're not talking about '50s-era mahogany Chris Crafts here.

But what the hell do I know... :rolleyes: 10 years from now, I could be slapping my forehead.

Cloaked
04-25-2008, 08:58 PM
The old boats will sell if they are priced right (go figure) but that said, the only way to turn a buck is to find a steal of a deal, shine and dine the boat, then flip it. It's antiquity really has no bearing on it's value as a collectable.

justinglow
04-25-2008, 10:18 PM
Personally, I couldn't see one them selling for more than $10k, even in perfect restored condition. We're not talking about '50s-era mahogany Chris Crafts here.

But what the hell do I know... :rolleyes: 10 years from now, I could be slapping my forehead.

Like this one Shep??:)

suedv
04-25-2008, 10:46 PM
It wouldn't be worth it to me to hold onto an old MasterCraft long enough for it to maybe get to that collector stage.

I'm wandering from the topic a bit, but speaking of those old Chris Crafts... I saw someone at a lauch totally spazing out because another boat was in the launch area at the same time as they were. It was a launch made for two boats to use at a time. I want to take care of our boat, but don't want a boat I'm afraid to use and have fun with it. That boat owner took away their own fun by being so uptight.

chrisbank
04-25-2008, 10:59 PM
So what would the max you think you would spend on a 73-76 MC in that would score a 9 out of 10 on a trailer??

I agree that MC's will probably never rival a Barrelback Chris Craft, but they are unique and the ski boat market used to be incredibly small in comparison to the boat market as a whole in the early days.....

h2oskifreak
04-25-2008, 11:22 PM
I have a 76 Stars, 8+ out of 10 and I think she is worth $7,500+/-. So I'll let you work backwards and I suppose it would depend on your goals. I Paid $3,500 and have spent $2,500, so not a springboard, but to me she as they say "priceless". I ski the fire out of it and I don't have 50k tied up. If something major happens I would still put more cash into her. Might not be the smartest, but I love the clasics.

Cloaked
04-25-2008, 11:25 PM
....I don't have 50k tied up.....Best bet indeed. Good thinking.

JBaker
04-25-2008, 11:33 PM
I have a 76 Stars, 8+ out of 10 and I think she is worth $7,500+/-. So I'll let you work backwards and I suppose it would depend on your goals. I Paid $3,500 and have spent $2,500, so not a springboard, but to me she as they say "priceless". I ski the fire out of it and I don't have 50k tied up. If something major happens I would still put more cash into her. Might not be the smartest, but I love the clasics.

This pretty much sums it up IMHO. It is nice that it is an investment you can use. That said, you could find many more productive places to put 3k+, and they would make money without you putting in any man hours. If you are seriously looking at it as an investment then you would have to compute all input costs and opportunity costs (opportunity costs for both your time and money - the former of which is difficult to put a price on.) There is absolutely no way that an MC could be a smart selection if you are searching for an income producing asset.