PDA

View Full Version : Who has painted thier boat?

74stars
04-25-2008, 01:30 PM
Hi Guys, I am curious, who all here have painted their boats? Due to time constraints, I am seriously considering giving up on spraying gel on my ride. If I donít move on this thing, it will be the third summer without the boat in the lake. If I paint it will be back on the lake much sooner. I know that the durability of gel far exceeds that of paint, but I would like to know from you guys that have painted is really by how much? If you can please post what paint & primer you used, any problems you have had with peeling, flaking, scratching, etc., have you had to re-paint, and most importantly, if you had to do it all over again would you paint it or gel it.

Thanks in advance!!!!!

Link to my monster thread:

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=15485&highlight=quick+update

flipper
04-25-2008, 01:39 PM
Not on a MC, but my brother in law painted his jet boat a couple years ago. It looks nice, no chips or cracks in the paint. But by where you put the gas in, he spilled a little, and it ate the paint off. He said if he had to do over again, and he might, he would gel coat it for sure. I don't know what kind of paint/primer he used, but I do know he used bottom paint on the bottom of the hull.

Sodar
04-25-2008, 01:56 PM
My friends painted their 1986 Scarab Center Console, to hide some ugly 80's graphics and they HATE it! Their fenders are never used without terry-cloth covers and the paint always gets wiped off with a chamois, never a towel. Even with them being so anal, they have rock chips along the sides and a streak where the fuel overflow ate the paint.

I would say if the boat is intended to be a show boat and never have people stepping on it, or towing it numerous miles, I would say go for paint, but the durability of gel really lets the boat be a boat and most blemishes can be wetsanded and buffed out.

Holman J.B.F
04-25-2008, 02:24 PM
i,ve painted many boats the past 10 years.
most 2k paints will last about 6 - 7 years depending how well maintained etc. make sure the bottom is painted with a osmose system
(7 layers) i always use 2 k PU (poly urethane) it will be strong and you can buff it each year,you,ll have to aply 3 layers.A waek point will be the waterline,if a paint is exposured for long periods UNDER water it will blister in time.3 a 4 months.

good paints are International (i believe it is called inter in the U.S)
awl grip
ijssel coating ( i don,t know if it is availeble in the states)this one is super easy to work with.
sikkens yachtpaints

anyway i would go with the PU from inter wich is called ""perfection"".
sand the boat down with a 180 grit aply a base coat and then 2 layers of perfection pre cote,...(paint all layers within 12-18 hours interval)
aply with a roller and tip it off with a soft brush.for a skiboat hull aply only +/- 20 inches with the roller an tip it off with the brush then another 20 inch etc.

after those 3 layers sand it down with a 320 grit clean it etc and apply another 2 layers of high gloss perfection.
let it dry for 3 a 4 days,..you,ll need to get rid of all the thinners in the paint.
last step,..sand it with a 400 grit sand it like a schoolboard get rid of all the orange skin or brush strokes.
last layer is your finishing layer,..aply a little more thinner and work fast
if the right coat thinkness is aplied and tipped off with a brush,...leave it alone and work on,after 30 minuts you,ll have the same result like it has been spray painted.

peanuts,..but i,m working about 27 years being a painter...lol
good luck.

ah i missed the previous post,..a scratch is a scratch.I have a new boat each year and it needs to be sanded an polished with a strong buffing compound in those area,s where the fenders hit the boat.

anyway,..to each his own.
fact is gelcoat last longer,but a few cans of paint are only 200 bucks(or so)

gwpowell
04-25-2008, 07:52 PM
If you are not a painter like "Holman" then don't try to brush it. It takes tonnes of experience to do it that way to achieve an acceptable result. We have been painting graphics on race boats for years. Here is how we do it.

Sand the gelcoat with 400 grit wet making sure every area to be painted is thoroughly sanded.
If the gelcoat is white then no primer is required. (the paint adheres perfectly to gelcoat.)
If the gelcoat is colored you will need a primer to cover the colour.
Use automotive 2 pac paints. Marine paints are poisonously expensive and you are not leaving the boat in the water for extended periods anyway.
After the undercoat is applied sand it with 400grit wet then SPRAY two to four coats of 2pack urethane in the desired colour.

CAUTION!!! 2 pac urethane is carcinogenic and must be applied in a spray booth using appropriate respirators. If you have a friendly panel shop nearby you may be able to rent their booth or even better pay them to apply the paint.

If you want a real trick job you can use what is called a clear over base system. After the primer you spray the base coat color which dries rapidly to a mat finish then you apply several coats of clear 2pac over to produce a deep brilliant finish. This is the method we use to create graphic effects.

The paint will last as long as your car paint and probably even longer given you only use the boat on weekends.

Cloaked
04-25-2008, 09:01 PM
Hi Guys, I am curious, who all here have painted their boats? Due to time constraints, I am seriously considering giving up on spraying gel on my ride. If I donít move on this thing, it will be the third summer without the boat in the lake. If I paint it will be back on the lake much sooner. I know that the durability of gel far exceeds that of paint, but I would like to know from you guys that have painted is really by how much? If you can please post what paint & primer you used, any problems you have had with peeling, flaking, scratching, etc., have you had to re-paint, and most importantly, if you had to do it all over again would you paint it or gel it.

Thanks in advance!!!!!

Link to my monster thread:

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=15485&highlight=quick+update
Talk to Jeremy79. He's done a 79 model and it's nice looking.

Holman J.B.F
04-26-2008, 03:39 AM
intresting thread,here is a pic how it,s been done.GWpowel is right you,ll need some experience or have the last coat done by a pro.

http://members.chello.nl/j.holman/Valk%20international%202k.jpg

you couls also wrap it.

trickskier
04-26-2008, 06:45 AM
Check with yellow78mc he painted his.

79stars&stripes
04-29-2008, 02:29 AM
I have a 79 stars and stripes and i had the stripe repainted. the reason for that is the stripe was re clearcoated but it was not preped right so it flaked off and looked worse. the paint worked out great, i have no complaints at all. In my opinion it is the only way to go.

79stars&stripes
04-29-2008, 02:29 AM
I have a 79 stars and stripes and i had the stripe repainted. the reason for that is the stripe was re clearcoated but it was not preped right so it flaked off and looked worse. the paint worked out great, i have no complaints at all. In my opinion it is the only way to go.