PDA

View Full Version : Maristar worth buying?

mdskier
04-24-2008, 11:50 AM
I am looking at a 1999 Maristar 210 with 455hrs with a tandem, trailer.

Boat is in great shape and has tower/racks/fat sacks/PP/CD and a lot of extras (skis/boards/tubs/lines/etc)

2 problems are:
1) Almost all of the seats need to recovered (4 of the 5 bases that are removeable and the captains seat, not the bow seats)

2) The engine cover lift seized apparently because the battery died and the bilge pump let water sit and fried the electric lift motor?

The boat has mostly been in fresh water, but I think the problem with the lift motor happened in salt water.

The guy wants $26K

I figure at least $1K to fix the vinyl and not sure I can fix the engine lift.

He says the boat is worth @28K so it is reasonable with all the extras.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Chas
04-24-2008, 12:07 PM
The boat is 'worth' what somebody wants to pay for it. Look around at other similar boats on Ebay, BoatTrader.com, local dealers etc. Get a feel for what they actually sell for if you can. That is one thing Ebay excels at - you get to see what the auction closed for.

Then make an offer based on that number. If you get the boat you get the boat. If not, there will be another one along soon enough.

As to the lift motor - if the seller says, "it's no big deal, just replace it," be sure to let him do so! I have purchased enough cars and trucks where the 'easy fix' item turned out to be more expensive and time consuming that I figured. So now if the seller tries to make something seem like an easy fix, I let them prove it by having it fixed.

In your case, you might offer the asking price if the guy will fix or replace the lift motor and give you two or three written bids on the vinyl work.

flipper
04-24-2008, 12:15 PM
Sounds a little on the high side to me for all the work it needs. Really it depends on if it worth it to you. I agree with Chas in that offer asking, if he fixes everything.

wakeX2wake
04-24-2008, 12:26 PM
buy my '93... bigger boat and upholstery is all original and in great shape... and the engine hatch works... noone WANTS to buy something for that much that they have to work on

rholmes
04-24-2008, 01:41 PM
I think the numbers for your upholstery estimates are off. I think a minimum of 2k is more realistic (I just had my entire boat redone and ran around to 5-6 shops to get quotes). Also, you say the electric motor needs replacing for the engine cover lift. What does that cost? Are you sure that this is the problem? I don't know how the engine lift is configured, but what if it is an issue with the hydrolic arms needing replacement too? Have you pulled an NADA.com value on the boat to get an idea of whether or not the guy is right on his asking price?

Anytime something you are looking at is in need of repair, your negotiating power is greatly increased. Obviously, the guy doesn't want to deal with the problems or issues the boat has. He is the one with a product to sell, you are the buyer who has unlimited options of what to buy. He has to take every opportunity to sell his product when an interested person comes along. Keep in mind that you are in a market/economy where a lot of people probably can't afford to go buy a 25K boat, a "toy" essentially. Too many people are worried about filling their gas tank... or buying their 80lb limit of rice.

If it was me, I'ld offer him 21K. What's the worse that could happen, he says no? At least he knows you are serious and he would counter offer.

JimN
04-24-2008, 01:59 PM
If the lift motor fried because of salt water, you better have him make an allowance for the starter, too and possibly anything else that's at that level, which is considerably higher than the floor.

JimN
04-24-2008, 02:03 PM
rholmes-

The lift motor is a linear actuator (think motor that spins a threaded rod, inserted in a larger threaded rod, which is fixed at one end to keep it from spinning), mounted on the floor and to the sun deck, hinged at the rear. There's a switch for raising and lowering it and the bottom of the actuator's motor is about 3" above the floor in the storage ares, going up to about 7" above the floor.

JimN
04-24-2008, 02:08 PM
mdskier- where is the boat located and are you willing to inspect it? If it's not near you, I would insist on a marine survey, performed by someone who is well qualified and has a really good reputation. Split the cost with the owner- a few hundred spent now could save you thousands later. It will also be good for the owner if you don't buy it, because he'll have a document of the boat's condition, as of that date. Obviously, things happen and if a later prospective buyer sees it and some damage has occurred since the survey, it would be moot.

rholmes
04-25-2008, 12:26 PM
Thanks JimN. Sounds just like my garage door opener, only a little smaller!

jaysus
04-25-2008, 12:42 PM
I have one for you. 10% off list if it's a relatively quick sale. May need to buy a couple of fat sacs, but she's ready to be driven, vinyl is perfect, very clean boat. See listing below.

http://www.nefwm.com/pre_owned_detail.asp?sid=03286096X4K25K2008J10I35I 24JAMQ2835R0&veh=821415

dpolen
04-25-2008, 05:30 PM
$26K is too much, especially with the repairs needed. I bought my '98 225 Maristar for $24K 2 years ago and all it really needed was a little TLC.