PDA

View Full Version : My Predicament

coz
04-24-2008, 10:43 AM
So I'm helping out with the 2008 Arizona Wakeboard Association events and the season kick off is this saturday and we had the kick off meeting for our assingments a couple weeks ago. Well I got a event time reminder email from the director last night and informed us the announcer now has other priorities this year and asked if i'd like to try my hand at the mic :confused: I'm the new guy here so I reluctantly said yes :confused: I'm not worried about my had at the mic I know I can hold it, it's what I have to say in it??? I've never announced a wakeboard event, I've only announced a couple of my kids LL games. I will have rider profiles and sponsor info but I'm wondering if anyone has announced anything like this. Any tips? I do have the option when everything is said I just crank the tunes. I'm not even down with all the trick names either??? There are 60+ riders with families & friends so there is going to be a few people there so I'd kinda like to look like I know what I'm doing. I'm stressing :confused: any suggestions?

For all the AZ'ers out there here's the link to te event at Lake Pleasant on saturday 4/26 http://cozaz.proboards52.com/index.cgi?board=wakeboarding You can come out just to watch too.

wakeX2wake
04-24-2008, 10:48 AM
learn the tricks and if you get tired crank the tunes man... most of the events i've been to i'd rather hear the music than a cheesy announcer:D ... kidding but like i said i'd read off the profile so people get the recognition and props they deserve for getting out there and landing on their head in front of a crowd and the crank the music... i did hear an announcer who didn't know the difference between a bs and fs 180 or a tantrum to a backroll... and anything that was upside down was a tantrum or a roll to revert... don't over do it

defender1009
04-24-2008, 10:51 AM
My concern would be more about knowing all the tricks than just talking into the microphone. Were it me, I'd start here and try to nail identifying the most common tricks you're likely to see.

http://www.wakeboarder.com/tricks/tricklist.phtml

Maybe watch a good instructional wakeboard dvd or two as well to have some good visuals.

lassy
04-24-2008, 10:55 AM
the biggest thing with the MC is that they have to be entertaining. look at dano the mano, i think he announces all the big wakeboarding and PWT events simply because he knows what he's talking about and he's entertaining....well maybe there are other reasons too but you get the idea.

lanier92prostar
04-24-2008, 11:00 AM
Try to learn as many of the tricks as possible, but only announce the big tricks that are attempted. At events I attend, sometimes the announcers overdo it and that takes away from the riders. As others have said, if all else fails, turn up the music. Best of luck to you.

coz
04-24-2008, 11:28 AM
Try to learn as many of the tricks as possible, but only announce the big tricks that are attempted. At events I attend, sometimes the announcers overdo it and that takes away from the riders. As others have said, if all else fails, turn up the music. Best of luck to you.

Thanks guys :D I'm definetly not going to try to talk the talk if I don't know it so I guess I'll just go with the flow. Question????? In events do the riders have to layout what tricks there going to do each run? Maybe that'll help if I know the riders going to attempt a half cab mobe or something and what and how many tricks they will do. :confused:

Muttley
04-24-2008, 11:29 AM
A little research, the names of the tricks and some history of both the sport and the riders. That will give you something to talk about.

Preperation is good. Pratice announcing to YouTube videos. Practice a loud, clear voice and your ENUNCIATION. Talk without saying 'um', 'ya know', and make sure you don't swear. It might be tougher than you think.

With some confidence it will be a breeze. Just remember, people WANT you to succeed. The biggest hurdle is not to appear nervous. If you screw up, just joke about it and move on. Don't let it rattle you.

Appear entertained. If you are sincerely amazed and enthused with a "Wow! Did you see that??" the crowd will pick up on it and join you. Talk to them like your friends.

Good luck! Remember, this is fun!

lanier92prostar
04-24-2008, 11:30 AM
In the two I have been involved with, the riders had to write down their tricks in the order they were going to do them. Both of these events were small, local events.

lanier92prostar
04-24-2008, 11:32 AM
Good advice Muttley. Coz, make sure you have fun while announcing and everything will go well.
A little research, the names of the tricks and some history of both the sport and the riders. That will give you something to talk about.

Preperation is good. Pratice announcing to YouTube videos. Practice a loud, clear voice and your ENUNCIATION. Talk without saying 'um', 'ya know', and make sure you don't swear. It might be tougher than you think.

With some confidence it will be a breeze. Just remember, people WANT you to succeed. The biggest hurdle is not to appear nervous. If you screw up, just joke about it and move on. Don't let it rattle you.

Appear entertained. If you are sincerely amazed and enthused with a "Wow! Did you see that??" the crowd will pick up on it and join you. Talk to them like your friends.

coz
04-24-2008, 11:39 AM

Um Um ya know? Thanks Muttley, yeah I'm definetly not new to wakeboarding, and the history? I've been watching it progress since Darin Shapiro was riding directionals :rolleyes: So I'm not totally clueless here just nervous and was wondering if anyone had done anything like this and your right it is gonna be fun :D

wakeX2wake
04-24-2008, 12:22 PM
i haven't seen a comp where the riders had to write down their tricks in the order... i have a couple of friends who just made up their runs as they went and won the things... they said they'd rather do that than a planned run b/c if you're not feeling the ts 540 that day then don't throw it b/c you'll fall

RexDog1
04-24-2008, 12:40 PM
Here's a good idea - have a POINT. It makes it SO much more interesting for the listener! :rolleyes:

don't over do it :D

lanier92prostar
04-24-2008, 12:51 PM
i haven't seen a comp where the riders had to write down their tricks in the order... i have a couple of friends who just made up their runs as they went and won the things... they said they'd rather do that than a planned run b/c if you're not feeling the ts 540 that day then don't throw it b/c you'll fall

Just a couple of local contest where the judges had to see your trick pass to put you into groups based on ability.

TMCNo1
04-24-2008, 02:23 PM
If you become really good at it, you can take over for Larry King someday on CNN! It sure would beat being a Professor of Teakology like I am and probably pays better too!

atlfootr
04-24-2008, 02:50 PM
Coz,

My :twocents: worth would be to grab one of the extra riders and or girl, let them annonce along w/ you ...
Who better to know the tricks then one of them :rolleyes:

Good Luck 8p

Gonzo
04-24-2008, 03:10 PM
atlfootr has a good idea. We announced in college and it seemd most folks wanted to know who was on the water, how they did last competition, any records they had and then comment on anything spectacular. Boarding is different but when we announced for tricks it was never calling all the tricks... if they lined up for a flip or did something rad it was brought to attention.

O yea, another important function of the MC is getting folks to the starting doc on time... ie... we are 2 skiers away from starting the 12-14 yr old boys, if your skiing please make your way to the starting dock.

atlfootr
04-24-2008, 03:12 PM
Here's a good idea - have a POINT.
It makes it SO much more interesting for the listener! :rolleyes:
Now where, have I heard that one before :confused:

Rockman
04-24-2008, 03:12 PM
So I'm helping out with the 2008 Arizona Wakeboard Association events and the season kick off is this saturday and we had the kick off meeting for our assingments a couple weeks ago. Well I got a event time reminder email from the director last night and informed us the announcer now has other priorities this year and asked if i'd like to try my hand at the mic :confused: I'm the new guy here so I reluctantly said yes :confused: I'm not worried about my had at the mic I know I can hold it, it's what I have to say in it??? I've never announced a wakeboard event, I've only announced a couple of my kids LL games. I will have rider profiles and sponsor info but I'm wondering if anyone has announced anything like this. Any tips? I do have the option when everything is said I just crank the tunes. I'm not even down with all the trick names either??? There are 60+ riders with families & friends so there is going to be a few people there so I'd kinda like to look like I know what I'm doing. I'm stressing :confused: any suggestions?

For all the AZ'ers out there here's the link to te event at Lake Pleasant on saturday 4/26 http://cozaz.proboards52.com/index.cgi?board=wakeboarding You can come out just to watch too.

You will do just fine...but bring a bottle of Jack just in case. ;)

Gonzo
04-24-2008, 03:21 PM
I thought the picture above announced for the indians... some guy named Wild Thing was pitching.

Ric
04-24-2008, 06:13 PM
Great seats aye buddy!?

Rockman
04-24-2008, 06:17 PM
"You can't say that on the air!"

"Sure I can. Nobody's listening anyway...!"

coz
04-26-2008, 11:48 PM
I want to thank you guys for the advise, It was a very sucsessful event today and I guess I did alright because they asked me back to do the next one :D I have a bunch of pics I'll post tomorrow because it was hot today and I'm fried and tired and I'm gonna go jump in the pool and cool off and chill out :D Thanks again.

dapicatti
04-27-2008, 04:33 AM
Congrats. We love pictures....