PDA

View Full Version : MS215's/X2's/sharing boats/our old searay... Advice Wanted!

cdawake
04-24-2008, 02:24 AM
Ok, so while up here in the PNW its still snowy/cold, I've already started thinking about when the summer hits. Basically, I need (want) a new boat. I'm tired of skiing a '96 PS190 with our neighbors, we have an odd arrangement with them on using the boat. We own a '94 Searay 200BR "signature" ourselves with 450 or so hours. Its time for it to go, and they sell pretty fast, too. 8p
Unfortunately, my local dealer only sells X-Series boats, and I was looking to go the Maristar route. The next closest dealer has an '08 Maristar 215, fully loaded with tower/racks, ballast, VDIG, etc... more fancy stuff than i'm interested in!! Only problem: hes asking $80k for it, several grand below the MSRP even. It looks really nice :rolleyes: : White with navy stripes/transom, and its pretty close by. We could easily work out a dealer trade between the two, and maybe a trade-in as well.

other, less painful to the bank account option is a used '06 X2.
Pretty comparable, same colors and options (no vdig tho). Asking on that one is $58k, definitely too high. This is with my local dealer.

SO... to make a long story long, I'm looking for a boat that can do it all: intermediate skiing/boarding, tubing, and some cruising on a f airily big/busy lake. Is the MS215 really worth it? how does the X2 preform in comparison?
:confused:

H20BOY
04-24-2008, 08:00 AM
I have an 06 X-15 and absolutely love it. It is a great all around boat. I will say the ski wake is not the best, but I've heard with the wake plate it is much better. My wifes favorite thing about the boat is it rides smooth in rough water. Just my 2 cents.

badams
04-24-2008, 11:43 AM
The X2 is a great all around boat. I think it probably has a little more room up front than the 215 just because of the pickled fork. For skiing you will want to make sure it has a wake plate.

cdawake
04-24-2008, 03:48 PM
i'm not sure about the X2, but the maristar has the new one for '08.
Whats the deal with VDIG (is it worth it), I think its why this MS is so expensive...

Kummer
04-24-2008, 04:26 PM
So give us a scale of 1 -5 what is important.

Size/capacity (how many people will be in the boat on adv. kids too?)
ski wake
wakeboard wake
length (fit in your garage?)
cost/price
new vs used (i would think you could get a pretty good used boat right now if you are worried about price. or you can not find what you want new)

Sodar
04-24-2008, 04:28 PM
Might wanna look here: http://www.copeandmcphetres.com/searchengine/Default.aspx?bvdid=2382&type=N&nav=81782&site_type=dealertemplate&indid=1

They lost their deal with MC, so they are clearing out there stock and selling boats at cost! Might be worth a few hour drive!

cdawake
04-24-2008, 05:31 PM
1- ski wake - we ski 4 days a week now, im intermediate, everyone else is about the same
2- Price- not too excited about dropping $80k for the 215, but its the perfect boat
3-wakeboard wake -we're just starting to ride now
4- size - 8 people sounds good
5-new/used- i prefer buying new, i plan keeping it for 20 years!
5- legnth- gotta be under23 feet- i need a new lift as well...

Roonie's
04-24-2008, 05:47 PM
1- ski wake - we ski 4 days a week now, im intermediate, everyone else is about the same
2- Price- not too excited about dropping $80k for the 215, but its the perfect boat
3-wakeboard wake -we're just starting to ride now
4- size - 8 people sounds good
5-new/used- i prefer buying new, i plan keeping it for 20 years!
5- legnth- gotta be under23 feet- i need a new lift as well...

Go with the wakeplate if you get the X2 or X15 for skiing. I debated between these two boats as well and test drove both several times. Originally I didn't like the pickle fork and wanted a traditional bow. However I didn't want to have to lug around the extra 1' 8" of the X15 and also it wouldn't fit into my garage with the extra length so I chose the X2. I now love the pickle fork as we use it all the time to load and unload the boat. They are both great boats and I think the X15 gets overlooked to often. Both boats will be comfotable with 8 people on board.

x-10ron
04-24-2008, 06:58 PM
have you considered a X-1???

Chicago190
04-24-2008, 07:35 PM
I'd look at the X1 and X14. The X1 I've read has a decent ski wake at 34-36 MPH and when weighted has one of the best wakeboard wakes ever. The X14 is the same as the Prostar 214 with ballast and a tower. It will give you a better ski wake than the X1, but won't produce the same wakeboard wake. I'm pretty sure you can get into either of those boats for less than 80k.

LKNMC
04-24-2008, 07:40 PM
haven't had our 2008 x15 for long but already have fallen in love with it it is a great all around boat with a great wake and the wider beam makes it feel much bigger than a 21' boat it also takes the rough water like a cruiser (and that is from a guy coming out of a 25' cabin cruiser) the VDIG is an awesome feature as well

You can't go wrong with either boat

You should also be able to talk the dealer down on the price of the 215 80k sounds a bit high we were able to talk out dealer down to 60K OTD on ours

cdawake
04-24-2008, 09:04 PM
You should also be able to talk the dealer down on the price of the 215 80k sounds a bit high we were able to talk out dealer down to 60K OTD on ours

WHAT?? 60k for a new boat with VDIG, ballast tower w/speakers?
if msrp for that boat was around 70-80k that seems generous.

otherwise,
what about a Prostar 214 or X-1, will they handle rough water well?

brucemac
04-24-2008, 09:21 PM
can't comment on the 214, but the X-1 (205V hull) is a "no" for rough water. i just bought a used 03 X-2 last week out of portland, or.

inland has/had an 07 X-1 modestly equipped for mid 40's i think. an all black one for low-to-mid 50's if i'm not mistaken. probably not what you're looking for though.

i also am betting the blue and white x-2 you speak of is the one they're selling on consignment for a customer of theirs, but speculation. pretty sure that boat is loaded and was well cared for.

i spoke to a couple sales guys there about possibly buying in spokane (even used) and bringing it home to seattle area. you know the whole warranty, territory stuff. for new, it would have cost me a transfer fee and possibly a bit more to make sure both sales reps got compensated. fair enough. i wasn't quite ready for new though this year and the right deal came along.

good luck on the hunt.

/edit

i should reiterate that a well equipped X-1 gets up there in price pretty quick. i think spokane brings theirs in modestly equipped to turn them quickly (like how i didn't say entry level?!) you can get to high 50's quick on a loaded X-1. that's why seattle area didn't have many. for low-to-mid 50's you could get an entry X-2 with way more going for it; snap out carpet, swivel racks, more room in the rear storage because tanks are partially beneath deck, etc. etc....

sully
04-24-2008, 10:22 PM
Our Maristar 215 is great, handles big water great.
We didn't get the wake plate, actually not an option in 06. Would like to add it someday. Wake is rather big till you get up to 30.
Test drive both. 80K sounds really high to me.

cdawake
04-25-2008, 02:56 PM
So I think where I am now is to look and test drive the X1 and the X14s at inland, and look at the X2. I'll have to wait until it gets a bit warmer though. Is it possible to get a test drive on a boat being sold on consignment? or is it in the showroom?

brucemac
04-25-2008, 03:37 PM
you should definitely be able to water test, but i'm guessing they may want a deposit to know you're serious

really depends on the dealer and the owner

not sure if that used X-2 is on site or not, i think it is though

really look closely at the options on those X-1's. i don't believe they have many options. the board racks are fixed i believe, single axle trailers, pretty basic sound system, probably no heater or shower. check to see if they have tripple ballast too. i didn't get that far. i just know that the local dealer here didn't stock many because a well equipped X-1 wasn't much less than a modestly equipped X-2.

if you walk in there seriously ready to buy, they'll treat you right i'm sure.

i had my eye on that all black X-1, but based on what i saw, i think it may be overpriced a bit given its options. mostly becuase it's an 08 i'm guessing. the holdover 07 was nice too though and they'd probably be willing to deal more on it.

good luck!

Chicago190
04-25-2008, 04:12 PM
http://www.copeandmcphetres.com/searchengine/Default.aspx?bvdid=2382&type=B&site_type=dealertemplate&indid=1

You may want to call this dealership up. Its probably a bit of a drive for you, but they are selling all their 07 MCs at a discount because they are no longer selling MC. They have a bunch of X2s and X15s that you could probably get cheaper than other dealerships.

LKNMC
04-25-2008, 05:09 PM
WHAT?? 60k for a new boat with VDIG, ballast tower w/speakers?
if msrp for that boat was around 70-80k that seems generous.

otherwise,
what about a Prostar 214 or X-1, will they handle rough water well?

Yes we were able to talk them down alot on the boat it is pretty loaded too it has 4 tower speakers MCX etc....

The price started at 70k

mccobmd
04-25-2008, 05:19 PM
I can answer the X1 questions, the X1 wake at 34-36mph is great only slightly bigger than the 190, it is good at 31-34, better than I/O at slower speeds but not what the 190 will have, it is a great wakeboarding boat and will do all you want, It is also good but not great for surfing. I am just beginning surfing so I can't claim to have that much knowledge. I have had it out in 3 foot white caps and it is good but not great. It's almost impossible to get a good rough water boat that has a good ski wake but the X1 does a nice job. Got mine at the start of last season for just under 42K with minimal upgrades. Would comment that you don't need the MCX for this boat, especially if you want a good ski wake