PDA

View Full Version : front mounted hitch

point1234
04-23-2008, 11:32 PM
I have a question, has anyone here used a front mounted hitch for there tow vehicle to move there boat into a tight spot. I have a new storage spot but it is a tight and difficult spot to move the boat in.

I don't have the space to back it straight in so I was thinking about getting a front mounted hitch (which i have found a bunch online). Has anyone here used one or know someone who has and if so do they help with moving a boat trailer easier.

Sodar
04-23-2008, 11:35 PM
I used one a few weeks ago on a 1960 Wiley's Jeep. They do make moving the boat much easier and make it really easy to see exactly what is going on (clearances, etc.) The tight turning radius of the jeep made it very easy, also!

M-Funf
04-23-2008, 11:36 PM
They make it much easier to push a trailer around. I've got one on a truck we use on our property to move trailers, etc. Works great.

Much easier to direct the trailer in the direction you want as well...:cool:

Chicago190
04-24-2008, 12:20 AM
I used one a few weeks ago on a 1960 Wiley's Jeep. They do make moving the boat much easier and make it really easy to see exactly what is going on (clearances, etc.) The tight turning radius of the jeep made it very easy, also!

There is a marina near my lake house that has this exact setup. They pulled about 10 rental boats out of the water in 20 mins. when a storm came along.

planoboy
04-24-2008, 12:41 AM
I have front receiver hitch on my F250...use it for cargo hauler, tow hook, etc. I used it a few times to put the boat into the shop, but found I see better backing w/ the side mirrors. Pushing it, only see one side, blind on the other...not good for tight spots.

planoboy
04-24-2008, 12:42 AM
sorry duplicate post

uawaterskier
04-24-2008, 01:15 AM
if I get a place to weld this summer I build a front bumper for my truck with a reciever.

tex
04-24-2008, 06:08 AM
if I get a place to weld this summer I build a front bumper for my truck with a reciever.
Thats be one great college edumafication you be receiveing!

Workin' 4 Toys
04-24-2008, 08:51 AM
I thought it would be useful as well, so I put one on my F250. I only used it a few times. Wasn't worth the $, time, and effort.
I built a "tongue" for it that was the most useful when I took the truck offroad in the Michigan dunes and I needed to mount a flag up front.

Dan K
04-24-2008, 08:52 AM
I would think it would be more difficult to tow your boat with a setup like that would hate to see something like that on the highway:eek3:

Workin' 4 Toys
04-24-2008, 08:59 AM
It's not for towing on the road. It is suppose to help you manuever better in tight spaces.

wakeX2wake
04-24-2008, 09:02 AM
buy a "ranch hand" front bumper w/ a receiver in it... they look meaty as hell and if you don't use the front hitch you still got a badazz bumper/brushguard

defender1009
04-24-2008, 10:00 AM
Thats be one great college edumafication you be receiveing!

You should lower your expectations a little----you act like he's at Auburn or something! :D

uawaterskier
04-24-2008, 12:08 PM
what the heck does me fabbing a bumper have to do with my college/education...plus we all know those cow college boys know all about welding and farm work and ranchhand bumpers. After all someone has to take care of all the barnyard animals down there.

wakeX2wake
04-24-2008, 12:42 PM
yea while the t-town poons take care of the ghettos... i'll take my laid back college life anyday vs having to worry about fighting one of the thugs on the football team

uawaterskier
04-24-2008, 12:46 PM
yea while the t-town poons take care of the ghettos... i'll take my laid back college life anyday vs having to worry about fighting one of the thugs on the football team
dang boy to be an AU boy you sure are silly...haven't you heard of the 12 gauge shotgun...it keeps all the trash at bay. I figure you country boys knew about that one. I mean at least we don't have people being knifed, shot, dumped on a streets to die, and have cars set on fire. Just sayin. Are you really saying your campus is safer, because I kinda disagree.

wakeX2wake
04-24-2008, 12:52 PM
you HAVE to be kidding me w/ the ghettos that surround that campus on all sides... what surrounds auburn's?... green fields and student apartments and historic preserved neighborhoods... that's two incidents and one of them involved a UA fan on ironbowl weekend... U of A at Tuscaloosa doesn't make the news for incidents b/c you're covered by the mask on the ghetto trash ridden town of tuscaloosa... if it happens in auburn there of course is a student involved b/c students make up 80% of the town population

uawaterskier
04-24-2008, 12:56 PM
point and case farm boy....

Look thread is about front mount hitches if you want to argue with me about owlbarn being safer take it to PM's

454Prostar190
04-24-2008, 01:12 PM
Well.... It sounds like a front mount hitches have their pros and cons.

wakeX2wake
04-24-2008, 02:16 PM
lol... i'd say from my limited experience that if you have a tight squeeze it's worth a try... might help to borrow someone's ride who has one would be my vote before jumping in and buying one... i've got a 2500 hd in the drive way w/ a ranchhand w/ one on it but i don't think it would help too much seeing you're in the midwest... but hey if you're willing to pay gas i'm down for a roadtrip... i've only got like 3 weeks of vacation this yr

88 PS190
04-24-2008, 02:23 PM
The marina I used to work at had a tractor with a front loader modified to have a hitch ball on it(no bucket). Didn't even need to adjust the trailer jacks, drive it up, lift the ball into place lift up off the jack., jump off, lock the latch, swivel the jack, hop on, do what needed to be done, hop off, swivel jack, unlatch hop on drop and drive away.

pilot02
04-24-2008, 02:34 PM
what the heck does me fabbing a bumper have to do with my college/education...plus we all know those cow college boys know all about welding and farm work and ranchhand bumpers. After all someone has to take care of all the barnyard animals down there.

Leave the animals outta this.... we ALL know what ya'll do with em.:eek3: