PDA

View Full Version : New Scam-Be careful!

6ballsisall
04-23-2008, 02:16 PM
This has been verified by the FBI (their link is also included

below). Please pass this on to everyone in your email address book.

It is spreading fast so be prepared should you get this call. Most

of us take those summonses for jury duty seriously, but enough

people skip out on their civic duty, that a new and ominous kind of

fraud has surfaced.

The caller claims to be a jury coordinator. If you protest that you

never received a summons for jury duty, the scammer asks you for

your Social Security number and date of birth so he or she can

verify the information and cancel the arrest warrant. Give out any

of this information and bingo; your identity was just stolen.

The fraud has been reported so far in 11 states, including Oklahoma

, Illinois , and Colorado . This (swindle) is particularly

insidious because they use intimidation over the phone to try to

bully people into giving information by pretending they are with

the court system. The FBI and the federal court system have issued

nationwide alerts on their web sites, warning consumers about the

fraud.

http://www.fbi.gov/page2/june06/jury_scams060206.htm

M-Funf
04-23-2008, 02:19 PM
We were told about this the last time I was summoned for jury duty.

We were told:

"The Court System will NEVER contact you by telephone. We will ONLY contact you via USPS mail"

brucemac
04-23-2008, 02:23 PM
it's really sad how bad it's gotten. i'm no saint, but i was raised to respect myself and others. i've had a good taste of it lately too. trying to sell my old boat. i can't believe how many scammers have called on it. it's ridiculous. to top it off, i went out of state to water test the new-to-me boat before i pulled the trigger and some ahole decides to dent the door on my denali and then proceeds to key it in two places-- all in the hotel parking garage. what gives these days? it really kind of gets me down at times, especially when i hear of bad things happening to good people. come on instant karma.

Ric
04-23-2008, 02:31 PM
I guess this could be for real jeff, it's definitely good to remind everyone not to give out personal info to ANYBODY who dials you or emails you, period.

6ballsisall
04-23-2008, 02:38 PM
it's really sad how bad it's gotten. i'm no saint, but i was raised to respect myself and others. i've had a good taste of it lately too. trying to sell my old boat. i can't believe how many scammers have called on it. it's ridiculous. to top it off, i went out of state to water test the new-to-me boat before i pulled the trigger and some ahole decides to dent the door on my denali and then proceeds to key it in two places-- all in the hotel parking garage. what gives these days? it really kind of gets me down at times, especially when i hear of bad things happening to good people. come on instant karma.

Congrats on the new boat Bruce!

It is a bummer to hear about these types of scams people play on others. To keep your spirits up you just have to remember that most peeps feed of negative stuff (i.e. watch the news or read some media) so thats what you'll hear more of instead of all the great things going on in the world.

flipper
04-23-2008, 02:41 PM
wow, thanks for the heads up

Chas
04-23-2008, 06:43 PM
I have often wondered why so many listings pop up on 'Craigslist' and then disappear. And not just that the item sold right away, but it comes up as 'flagged for removal' then goes away a short time later.

The ones I have seen are the 'too good to be true' type of deal. I saw a three year old Nissan I wanted for less than three grand. I thought it was a typo and tried to contact the seller to see what the correct price was. No response, and the ad was flagged an hour later and gone shortly after that.

So - I would imaging that there are people who want to entice folks into walking into their 'hood with a couple thousand bucks cash in their pocket. Is that what happens? Simple grab and run? Anyone hear any stories about this?

brucemac
04-23-2008, 07:04 PM
dunno', but i do know from experience that if it's anything of real value, it's almost worse being the seller than it is the buyer as far as craigslist goes.

i'm about 3 weeks into my craigslist add and i've had some decent response, but i'd say half of them have been crooks.

i'm tempted to go to boat trader, just didn't want to have to cough up the doug for only 4 weeks.

weather is finally starting to turn around here, so maybe i'll give it another couple weeks.

usually had good luck with craigslist up until now. sold my wife's car in a week. furniture moves in hours it seems.

ah well, we'll see...

Cloaked
04-23-2008, 08:03 PM
I don't trust the Feds.

Here's the straight Skinny.

http://www.snopes.com/crime/fraud/juryduty.asp