PDA

View Full Version : Removable teak platform brackets

AR Footer
04-05-2005, 03:21 PM
I was wanting to know if anyone has or could take pictures of the mounts on their removable platform? I am considering adding the brackets to my 85 model but the dealer wants $185 for them. My brother-in-law owns a macine shop so I was hoping to get some pictures to see if he could fabricate me some. I think he would do it much cheaper than I could buy from the dealer.

jsonova99
04-05-2005, 03:23 PM
I think there are a few on ebay right now for like $60 or $70, I would take a look

MarkP
04-05-2005, 03:30 PM
If you donít have shots by the time I bring my boat home I would be happy to post some shots.

Brn85ss
04-05-2005, 03:39 PM
I was wanting to know if anyone has or could take pictures of the mounts on their removable platform? I am considering adding the brackets to my 85 model but the dealer wants $185 for them. My brother-in-law owns a macine shop so I was hoping to get some pictures to see if he could fabricate me some. I think he would do it much cheaper than I could buy from the dealer.

Check these guys out

info@alloymarine.com

AR Footer
04-05-2005, 03:42 PM
jsonova99

I looked on e-bay and they do have some but the shots were not good enough for me to tell if they would fit my boat. I was afraid to purchase anything off of e-bay for fear they wouldn't work on my boat. I really wanted to see some good photos so that my brother-in-law could give me some guidance. The positive of having him do it is that they will be made for my boat and I will not have to modify anything.

MarkP

I am in no hurry so if you could post some pictures when you get your boat out i would appreicate it.

AR Footer
04-05-2005, 03:43 PM
Check these guys out

info@alloymarine.com
Ok I will take a look.

Thanks

AirJunky
04-05-2005, 04:22 PM
I tried to find the ones on Ebay but didn't see any. I believe that MC used the same brackets for years thru the 70s, 80s & 90s. Then in like 1998 they changed over to a newer one that has apparantly failed because their selling boats with the old brackets again.
I also looked thru SkiDim & Overtons but didn't see anything. Maybe if your brother in-law gets yours designed, he'll be able to make them for resale too. ;)

nattylightmike
04-05-2005, 04:39 PM
I gave alloy marine products a call today. The good news is they make a brackets for a bunch of different years and models. I have a 90 prostar and they said have the brackets in stock. The bad news is that they are about $100.00 each.

Ric
04-05-2005, 04:52 PM
wow I dont see you beating 185 for decent brackets unless you have dirt on your brother in law

AR Footer
04-05-2005, 07:04 PM
I don't have any dirt on him but he works for the family for cost of material IF he has to buy anything. Usually, no labor charge. If he has the material laying around the shop it is free.

AR Footer
04-05-2005, 07:07 PM
I tried to find the ones on Ebay but didn't see any. I believe that MC used the same brackets for years thru the 70s, 80s & 90s. Then in like 1998 they changed over to a newer one that has apparantly failed because their selling boats with the old brackets again.
I also looked thru SkiDim & Overtons but didn't see anything. Maybe if your brother in-law gets yours designed, he'll be able to make them for resale too. ;)

Good idea on making some for resale after he gets mine designed. He just might be willing to do that but I will ask him about it after we do the first ones and get them perfected.

erkoehler
04-05-2005, 07:11 PM
Use the brother in-law, it should definetly be cheaper. Sorry, I don't have any photos to offer up.

AirJunky
04-05-2005, 07:56 PM
Here is a shot of the brackets. Not exactly a CAD drawing but should give your brother in-law a good idea.

AR Footer
04-05-2005, 10:51 PM
AirJunky

Thanks for the picture. I think that this will be good enough to help us get started.

Larryp
04-05-2005, 11:24 PM
whats wrong with my brackets, does anybody have anything nice to say about a 99. Thanks you for letting me use your thread

AirJunky
04-05-2005, 11:31 PM
I can't tell you what is wrong with the 99 brackets as I have a 94. The brackets used in 94 appear to be what MC has gone back to in the last couple of 2004 boats I've looked at.
I can tell you that the 94 brackets are somewhat loose. The swimstep will knock when the boat is sitting & waves hit the stern, like from a boat going by. It annoyed me enough that I took 2 stainless table knives & wedged them into the bracket from above. People would occasionally see them & think it was funky, but the last 2 summers I didn't have a problem with the swimstep knocking. I called them swimstep shims & laughed it off.

Larryp
04-05-2005, 11:34 PM
the reason I asked was because my brother weighs about 350 lbs. Last thing I need is him suing me over a cracked skull, or punching me.

AirJunky
04-06-2005, 12:00 AM
Hmmm, not sure which brackets are the best for you. A few years ago I had to replace one of my 94 swimstep brackets after a friend decided to use the swimstep as a diving board. The bracket bolted to the stern cracked right in 1/2..... and he only weighed like 200 lbs.

EricB
04-06-2005, 01:31 PM
Gmohlke:
I have an 83 S&S. I could use a set of brackets too. Let me know if your B-I-L would make a set and how much.
I checked w/my dealer several years ago and they said the were not available anymore.

Ric
04-06-2005, 01:41 PM
The new models actually install directy from the rear.
They don't drop-in like yours. They actually slide into horizontal grooves in the transom brackets and then are pinned in place like yours are.

I can't tell you what is wrong with the 99 brackets as I have a 94. The brackets used in 94 appear to be what MC has gone back to in the last couple of 2004 boats I've looked at.
I can tell you that the 94 brackets are somewhat loose. The swimstep will knock when the boat is sitting & waves hit the stern, like from a boat going by. It annoyed me enough that I took 2 stainless table knives & wedged them into the bracket from above. People would occasionally see them & think it was funky, but the last 2 summers I didn't have a problem with the swimstep knocking. I called them swimstep shims & laughed it off.

AR Footer
04-06-2005, 03:44 PM
Gmohlke:
I have an 83 S&S. I could use a set of brackets too. Let me know if your B-I-L would make a set and how much.
I checked w/my dealer several years ago and they said the were not available anymore.

I will let you know if I can get him to do it and what it will cost.

BriEOD
12-01-2005, 05:04 PM
It looks like the photos are gone off of here when the update was accomplished. In my search for a new house and garage I'm running into depth issues and am considering making a swing away tongue and adding the brackets. When you remove the platform with the removable brackets do you have clearance all the way to the transom? Anyone have a vendor? Photos?

Thanks in advance. BPS

Kevin 89MC
12-02-2005, 01:14 PM
It looks like the photos are gone off of here when the update was accomplished. In my search for a new house and garage I'm running into depth issues and am considering making a swing away tongue and adding the brackets. When you remove the platform with the removable brackets do you have clearance all the way to the transom? Anyone have a vendor? Photos?

Thanks in advance. BPS

I don't have pics of mine, but I got a pair for my '89 PS. I think they were about $150-$200, got them from a friend of a friend. I can ask if anyone is interested. I did have to notch my platform to allow it to slide over the two lifting hooks. My brackets were not drilled so I could match up exactly to my transom holes. Took a while to install, I wanted to make sure they were straight!
When the platform is removed, they stick out about an inch, simlar to the exhaust flaps. Pitot tubes stick out much farther.
Good luck,
Kevin

Cloaked
12-02-2005, 01:52 PM
I was wanting to know if anyone has or could take pictures of the mounts on their removable platform? I am considering adding the brackets to my 85 model but the dealer wants $185 for them. My brother-in-law owns a macine shop so I was hoping to get some pictures to see if he could fabricate me some. I think he would do it much cheaper than I could buy from the dealer.I'm certain the your B-I-L could do the job easily enought with pics and a few dimensions. However consider this in the overall picture, if I may toss in a few pennies... :twocents: The mounting cap screws that go through the transom are not so strong relative to my preference of structural integrity, compared to the way the originals are secured. I say this from recent experience of having to replace mine after they stripped out of the holes in the transom. Short of the long story (and documented in a thread here with ample pics) consider opening the floor from the inside and running thru-bolts for a new fastening method, in lieu of cap screws. :popcorn:

:twocents:

I have met my allowance of three emoticons. That's all...