PDA

View Full Version : how to clean up these manifolds?

brucemac
04-23-2008, 12:17 AM
got a bit of something here on the manifolds. see pic.

it looks like the paint has either gotten super hot or it's rust. guessing the latter. how do i clean and dress this up?

or should i bother?

brucemac
04-23-2008, 12:18 AM
sorry first pic too big, i guess...try this...

denverd1
04-24-2008, 12:03 PM
sand it and paint it?

It's gotten too hot, your exhaust hoses will be damaged as well. Check those if you pull them off.

wakeX2wake
04-24-2008, 12:45 PM
mine looked a little moldy and i thankfully was able to wipe them down... it's part of regular cleaning now to touch up the manifolds and surrounding engine parts

flipper
04-24-2008, 12:48 PM
I use silicon spray on my whole engine every year. Seems to do a good job of preventing this.

brucemac
04-24-2008, 05:19 PM
it's gotten too hot?

too hot as in there was some bad history here?

i was lead to believe this was common at that connection point.

denverd1
04-24-2008, 05:29 PM
sorry, I meant IF it's gotten too hot...

Hopefully its a little rust and corrosion like you suspect.

Roonie's
04-24-2008, 05:32 PM
Hard to tell exactly what you are referring to from pic but that area is common to get rust.

brucemac
04-24-2008, 05:32 PM
ahhhh!!!!

thanks for clarifying!

yeah, i'm guessing i can't tell from the outside, but those exhaust hoses, look like they're practically new. the boat's only got 63 hours on it and it did sit on a lift.

so just grab a toothbrush or small wire brush and goto town?

what type of paint? where to get, etc?

TMCNo1
04-24-2008, 06:28 PM
I always keep mine touched up with Krylon Black/Rustoleun Black sprayed in the cap and applied with a small brush and wipe them down about twice a year with Armor-All along with most everything else including the hoses. If the paint wants to fisheye, a small, small shot of silicone from the straw that comes with the can will neutralize the Armor-All and the paint will still dry from the heat, cause it's the same as Fisheye Eliminator.

brucemac
04-24-2008, 06:47 PM
perfect!

thank you so much!!!

:)

rob935
04-25-2008, 04:09 PM
its nothing to worry about its just some light surface rust . you could change the gaskets out for new ones but prob be more hassle than its worth .. just sand em down and touch up, ive done that for the past 4 seasons with no problems at all...!!
its just a simple case of metal and h20 not being good bed fellows.

TMCNo1
04-25-2008, 06:22 PM
its nothing to worry about its just some light surface rust . you could change the gaskets out for new ones but prob be more hassle than its worth .. just sand em down and touch up, ive done that for the past 4 seasons with no problems at all...!!
its just a simple case of metal and h20 not being good bed fellows.

I found out several years ago, there is a reason for the rust around the gasket area, they are leaking and no amount of sanding, wirebrushing, touch up paint will cure the leaking gaskets, but will continue to make a mess. Replace the gaskets, clean up and touch up before reassembly and finish touching up afterwards and you'll be set to go.