PDA

View Full Version : Throttle Body Injection Replacement

SPLIFF
04-22-2008, 01:28 PM
I was wondering i have a 1995 prostar 350 5.7 litter motor, can i replace the tbi with a 87-95 chevy truck,camaro 350 5.75 litter tbi.

DBR
04-22-2008, 01:51 PM
Not sure, But I am sure that you cannnot interchange carburators for autos and boats

jimmer2880
04-23-2008, 07:59 PM
I once heard that the TBI from our '95 boats was from a camaro (from someone who replaced his IAC valve).

The computer is different, but I think the TBI is not.

Jim@BAWS
04-23-2008, 08:33 PM
I was wondering i have a 1995 prostar 350 5.7 litter motor, can i replace the tbi with a 87-95 chevy truck,camaro 350 5.75 litter tbi.

Take your injector to NAPA. They have the correct one for your boat
It maybe clogged thats all. It is a STANDARD GM injector. 2 small alanhead screws and it is out

Jim@BAWS

dwvktm450
04-23-2008, 08:37 PM
When I replaced one, the part number crossed over to the 454 trucks in the early 90's.

SPLIFF
04-24-2008, 12:30 PM
i will take it off and bring it in to cross ref. it. thanks for advice the problem is i am a dumba!! and was working on the boat all weekend my goal was to have it in the water before monday. got the fuel pump hooked up right thanks to jimmer 2880 and just put new injectors in and lost a screw and thought i had one that would fit an broke it in the bottom half of tbi then got a screw extractor broke that in there to then i tried to drill it out then i really messed it up an broke the frame.

SPLIFF
04-24-2008, 12:32 PM
When I replaced one, the part number crossed over to the 454 trucks in the early 90's.
did you have to place the computer to?

JimN
04-24-2008, 01:11 PM
The computer shouldn't need replacing. Why do you ask that? What is the motor doing/not doing?

SPLIFF
04-25-2008, 02:08 PM
The computer shouldn't need replacing. Why do you ask that? What is the motor doing/not doing?
I was just wondering if you had to replace both at the same time, i am new to working on anything mechanical i was hoping i would not have to replace it, i do not even know where the commputer is located what it looks like or even what it does, the motor has been sitting in a yard for four years with a bad cover before i got it. the boat still has not made it to the water yet, it lives in a garage now. the injectors were very rusty looking and sprayed very little gas inconsisantly and not enough gas to start it.(but if i put a little gas in by hand it would start for about 3 seconds)i did not know they just pushed out or i would have just replaced them instead i started taking it apart and i messed the frame of the tbi up. today i will go to napa and have them cross ref. for me. this time i will be very carefull removing or replacing anything on the boat. i just hope i can get the right tbi to fix it. because it was 90 degrees two days ago here in alexandria louisiana.

JimN
04-25-2008, 02:26 PM
Is there a boat salvage place near you? They might have something and it is a common part. If you go to the ECM and remove the plugs from it, look for corroded pins. They're gold plated but if water got in, one or more of the pins may have been eroded, but usually this only happens when the battery is still connected and is at least partially charged. Otherwise, the ECM is well sealed and should be OK,

If you remove the throttle body (or have already), make sure you cover the intake manifold well, but take the TB in to whatever parts store you go to. It's a lot easier when they can see it. Also, check the bone yards. No telling what you might find.

SPLIFF
04-30-2008, 10:04 AM
Is there a boat salvage place near you? They might have something and it is a common part. If you go to the ECM and remove the plugs from it, look for corroded pins. They're gold plated but if water got in, one or more of the pins may have been eroded, but usually this only happens when the battery is still connected and is at least partially charged. Otherwise, the ECM is well sealed and should be OK,

If you remove the throttle body (or have already), make sure you cover the intake manifold well, but take the TB in to whatever parts store you go to. It's a lot easier when they can see it. Also, check the bone yards. No telling what you might find.
there is no boat salvage yard, but there is a car and truck savage yard close to me. i am going to talk to a welder tomorrow to see if he can fix it.

JimN
04-30-2008, 11:13 AM
Go to www.junkyarddog.com and enter the part(s) needed. They'll e-mail with anything they have. It's a national database of salvage dealers. Include the part number for the throttle body and whether you want injectors, or not.

That is, if you want used parts. If not, new are still available.

SPLIFF
05-05-2008, 10:15 AM
Go to www.junkyarddog.com and enter the part(s) needed. They'll e-mail with anything they have. It's a national database of salvage dealers. Include the part number for the throttle body and whether you want injectors, or not.

That is, if you want used parts. If not, new are still available.
Thank you JimN I will give it a try.