PDA

View Full Version : Radio Remote or Hook it to Access. Switch?

georgea0731
08-09-2004, 10:34 AM
I have an 04 X7, the radio is a real pain to get to. Its in the glove box with this large door covering it and my wife puts few items on top of it, so its even harder to get at.
We're considering getting a remote control and putting it on the driver's side of course.
1. Has anyone done this? or Did your boat come with it? and Is it worth it?
The remote sells for $175 through the dealer and Overton's, we found it for $90 on Etronics.com.
2. We ski alot so we turning the motor off and on a lot so its always interrupting the radio/tunes.
Has anyone hooked their radio directly to an accessory switch?
I think I want the radio hot all the time and only turn it off & on with the accessory switch. Is this switch always hot?
how did you do it? Any suggestions? Would you do it over?

THanks and best wishes,

NatesGr8
08-09-2004, 11:04 AM
I have a 94 Prostar and the radio is wired directly to an accessory switch. The switch is always hot so we can turn the radio on whenever. I enjoy it and have no problems with the current setup. I don't know if this helps you out at all since our boats are 10 years apart but theres my $0.02 anyway.

captkidd
08-09-2004, 11:52 AM
I also have a '94 PS205 and I hooked my radio to one of the accessory switches because it was much easier to remember to turn off the switch than to turn off the radio. My radio is just to the left of the steering wheel so it's much more accessible than yours, but it's behind one of those spring-operated plexiglass doors so it's not always easy to tell if it's turned off at the end of the day. My two acc. switches control my depth finder and my radio, so I just turn both off after loading the boat.

It seems to me that the remote would be well worth the money.

NSXBill
08-09-2004, 03:34 PM
The OEM setup includes a remote by the driver. Did you have an aftermarket stereo put in? Get the proper remote and install it. Its very much worth it. My stereo works with the key in the acc position.

Mag_Red
08-09-2004, 09:54 PM
:toast: Thanks for the the E-tronics tip. I just ordered one for my Prostar209! You're right.........reaching in the glove box all the time is a real pain.