PDA

View Full Version : cold water

joknjakrabit
04-22-2008, 01:35 AM
i just got back this weekend from riding at our lake. the water was about 45 degrees. i just had on a thin wet suit shirt. that was about as cold as i could bare i think. what is the coldest water everyone else rides in

damaged442
04-22-2008, 09:26 AM
I skied Canandaigua Lake in NY on April 3rd about 8 years ago. Ice went off the lake the week before,and the temp was 33 F. That was the coldest water I have been in. On my lake, I pull the boat out the first or second week in October, and the water temp is upper 30s to low 40s. I love it because there's no competition, and I get the whole lake to myself. (Read, no one else dumb enough to be out there) Cold water is a mind over matter thing. I have no mind, therefore it really doesn't matter! :D

loeweb
04-22-2008, 09:35 AM
43 degrees for this guy. That was plenty cold enough. Anyone else get a headache after coldwater runs. Seems like my head always hurts when I get back in the boat and drive.

wakeX2wake
04-22-2008, 09:44 AM
water is in the low 60s before i'll get in... i'm not a fan of cold water in the least... i've been in when it was high 40s but that was in a drysuit w/ sweatpants and a sweatshirt and i couldn't move enough to make a full pass at 15 off... and i was running shorter all summer... it was the weekend before thanksgiving break i was out w/ a couple of the guys from the ski team

Plymouth Family Guy
04-22-2008, 09:48 PM
The last time I was waterskiing was on October 30, 2007. The air temperature was in the 60's but the water temp had to be in the forties. There was no wind and no other boats on the lake so the conditions were perfect and we had a good time. Later that night a cold front came through and six days later there was a layer of ice across the entire lake. We didn't find out exactly what the water temperature was when we were skiing, but it felt like a very cold drink of water.:eek:

mbeach
04-22-2008, 09:53 PM
being a former competitive swimmer, 60 deg water is the coldest in which i have ever swam laps, but today being many years and pounds older my limit is 85 deg. living in iowa, i am still sleeping in socks. you guessed it, i am a wus. water temperatures in the 50's and below threaten hypothermia so be careful even with a suit.

VTJC
04-22-2008, 09:53 PM
Here is a pic of my friend last spring http://forums.waterskimag.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=678

With ice in the background I figure it close to 32F.

Jamie

CBergerson
04-22-2008, 09:56 PM
The last time I was waterskiing was on October 30, 2007. The air temperature was in the 60's but the water temp had to be in the forties. There was no wind and no other boats on the lake so the conditions were perfect and we had a good time. Later that night a cold front came through and six days later there was a layer of ice across the entire lake. We didn't find out exactly what the water temperature was when we were skiing, but it felt like a very cold drink of water.:eek:

Up here in Alexandria, I made it out for the final time last fall on October 26. I had my drysuit on, but my hands and feet got numb right away. My nephew is a hot-blooded teenager and got in with only a shorty wetsuit.

I wanted to go again in November, but deer and pheasant hunting got in the way and also some ice!!

kal_dude
04-23-2008, 08:32 PM
water was 42 deg. on sunday, no wetsuit!

D3skier
04-23-2008, 09:07 PM
It was January 2002 nice warm 73 degree day and went out on Lake Norman the temp gauge read a whopping 38 degrees in a full wet suit and I still ended up with hypothermia but being as dumb as I am I wanted to go again but ran in to problems with the boat so we had to head back in.

dapicatti
04-23-2008, 10:17 PM
The Columbia River is 37 degrees right now...guys are out with wetsuits- I wouldn't go without a drysuit.

dapicatti
04-23-2008, 10:32 PM
The Columbia River is 37 degrees right now...guys are out with wetsuits- I wouldn't go without a drysuit.

JKTX21
04-23-2008, 10:33 PM
I turned on the shower without letting it warm up when I was drunk the other day.... about as close to cold water as I will ever be.

tex
04-23-2008, 10:48 PM
I've done 35 foot flyers in Germany in early March. You're standing on a tower holding a rope as it's snowing! There is a crazy boat driver down below that is ready to put you on your bare feet and into a hard left turn that is amazing! Did I mention small pond and snowing!

dapicatti
04-24-2008, 12:23 AM
It's exceptionally cold here this year, river is about 38 degrees right now...drysuit time for sure

joknjakrabit
04-27-2008, 08:58 PM
my cousin did this polar bear wakeboarding thing on january 1 last year. everyone there had dry suits, he just had a wetsuit on. the weather outside was about 10 degrees. he was the last to go, so the handle had iced over, and i saw ice floating in the water. he was crazy to do it