PDA

View Full Version : Water line cover or canopy

jwroblew
04-21-2008, 09:15 PM
So I keep my boat on a lift all sumer long. The gel coat is begging to fade on the back of the boat, the back faces south. I have a cover that snaps to the gunnel. Should I get a water line boat cover or a canopy for the lift? I have heard that bugs and such have a field day beneath the canopy, and I have not had any troubles to date.

Laurel_Lake_Skier
04-21-2008, 10:01 PM
My boat spends the summer on a lift with a canopy. I have no issues with bugs or any other critters under the canopy. I use the boat daily and crank it up tight under the canopy. I think it is helpful to leave the cover off since being open aids in drying out the boat. I do put a cover on the boat if rain and wind are in the forecast. If the rain isn't blowing sideways, the canopy does a good job keeping the boat dry. It also does a good job protecting the boat from the sun.

mess33
04-21-2008, 10:55 PM
I also keep my boat in a lift. I typically crank it up so high the canopy covers everything.

TRBenj
04-22-2008, 09:20 AM
Canopies are great, but ours still gets dew and bugs without the cover on. Unless you add extensions to the canopy, it likely wont protect the gel on the side or back from fading.

Bruce
04-22-2008, 11:22 AM
So I keep my boat on a lift all sumer long. The gel coat is begging to fade on the back of the boat, the back faces south. I have a cover that snaps to the gunnel. Should I get a water line boat cover or a canopy for the lift? I have heard that bugs and such have a field day beneath the canopy, and I have not had any troubles to date.

Same problem here I am in a lift in a boat house and rear gel and teak swim platform catch the southern sun. Both fade. I use a cover from Wal Mart that is fine except it is not long enough to cover teak or transom. I need the cover on to keep the spider droppings off as well as other creatures. Taking the swim plat. on and off is not an option. (to hard to get to etc.). Just hope the fading rear gel will polish out.

flipper
04-22-2008, 11:26 AM
I would think some good wax would take care of it.

endl
04-22-2008, 11:59 AM
I think bugs and spiders are a problem whenever you have a dock period. Especially if its covered.