PDA

View Full Version : Transporting a boat

Streak
04-21-2008, 06:38 PM
Does anyone know of any cheap ways of transporting a boat from say the southern California area to the northeast
Thanks

bobx1
04-21-2008, 06:40 PM
If not you, or a friend or a member of your family, then:

http://www.uship.com/

Post what you want moved and the bidding will begin....

bobx1
04-21-2008, 06:40 PM
edit...double post

Chas
04-21-2008, 07:35 PM
It seems to me that we should be able to set up a group of TT members who would be willing to pull the boat part of the way. I, for one, will gladly pull the boat from the Ventura/(Los Angeles) area to any of a dozen nearby lakes, ski it for a day, dry it, clean it, and then hand it over to the next TT member to drive it to the next lake...

Or not.

Actually, leaving the lake out of it, I would drive your boat a couple hundred miles if this could actually happen. It would be a news item if it did, don't you think?

tex
04-21-2008, 07:41 PM
Watch the currents as you round Florida!

Sodar
04-21-2008, 08:30 PM
When I had mine shipped from Chicago to Orange County, a year ago. I was considering Uship, but prices were very high and there were few that would put the boat on their own trailer (I did not want the wear and tear on my brand new trailer and boat). I ended up finding a TT member who helped me out. He is a great guy and in the trucking industry. He found my boat a ride on a partial load and took nothing in his commission. I am not going to offer up his name or services here, but I will PM him and tell him to take a look at the post. He was very insightful as to what to look for and what not to look for. Good luck and remember to wrap, pack and protect everything the best you can... you will be happy you did!

Streak
04-21-2008, 11:22 PM
thanks Cameron, much appreciated - it's great to have a forum like this, so easy to get information....

Datdude
04-22-2008, 12:03 PM
I have used UShip and it worked great. I had a boat shipped from Virginia to Northern Wisconsin for $890 which I think is a good deal. I was looking at a boat in Orlando and two bidders on UShip bid $1200 which is also quite fair. A large number of the shippers on there are RV haulers and use the other stuff as backhauls. I would highly recommend www.uship.com ! Just make sure the person has good feedback

endl
04-22-2008, 12:44 PM
Streak PM at you. Let me know if I can help.

TMCNo1
04-22-2008, 01:00 PM
You maybe could work something out with the boat shipping dept. @ MC to bring it to Vonore on a empty truck after a West Coast delivery, then Ron Belcher Trucking, 1-865-856-0225, (MC's short haul contractor) could take it to the NE with one or a couple boats he would deliver up there. It might be worth investigating!