PDA

View Full Version : Gonna be sick

stuartmcnair
04-21-2008, 05:25 PM
Just got a call from my best friend. His son went out on his X-Star yesterday with some friends. He stepped off the back of the boat onto the teak deck and the desk fell off the boat and stripped the two remaining screws out of it on one side and pulled two loose from the other side.

Based on our conversation we think someone was trying to steal the deck off the boat out of the boathouse and someone came by and they left it for another time. His son is on his way to his lakehouse to get the deck and bring it in for me to look at.

If it can be salvaged, which I think it can from the description, what is the best way to patch those holes to be redrilled? Will standard wood filler work in a marine environment?

Thanks for the help.

jsnipes
04-21-2008, 05:36 PM
I assume from the description that the hole itself is just stripped out ... no further damage. I would either go with a larger screw (if feasible... I haven't looked to see if this is do-able or not) or else I would drill out the hole, epoxy in a hardwood dowel, and then thread the screw into the dowel.

jbfootin
04-21-2008, 05:49 PM
I would not trust wood filler or a wood dowel. I think they would rot out over time and you are left with junk. I think you need a threaded insert that is made for outdoor use (plastic or aluminum). I would stay away from untreated wood.

76S&S
04-21-2008, 06:04 PM
I assume that we are talking about the screws that hold the platform to the mounting brackets???

I think I would put some epoxy in the holes (to fill voids) and reattach while the exoxy is still wet...........just an idea.

edit......screws one size larger.

defender1009
04-21-2008, 06:10 PM
Jeez man---based on the subject line I thought something bad happened to your best friend's son.........although it sucks, glad to hear it was just something that's replacable!

roddydog
04-21-2008, 06:16 PM
All of those ideas would work.

Just throwin another into the mix.

I got some Teak plugs for my platform, drilled out the holes to fit, used a 'below H2O grade' glue. glued them in place, sanded, oiled, waterproofed (as good as you can) then marked and re-drilled some pilots, put some 3M Marine Epoxy on the end of the screws and......

I hope I don't have to take it off..

craig3972
04-24-2008, 03:21 PM
thru bolting would be the best

Willski
04-24-2008, 03:45 PM
Jeez man---based on the subject line I thought something bad happened to your best friend's son.........although it sucks, glad to hear it was just something that's replacable!

I was the same way. No major harm there!

flipper
04-24-2008, 03:50 PM
I used this stuff on mine when many of the screws were stripped out. Best stuff I think. Try to make it smooth as possible when wet though, it's hard stuff to try and sand down.

http://www.boatersworld.com/product/377940028msk.htm

Muttley
04-24-2008, 04:28 PM
If it can be salvaged, which I think it can from the description, what is the best way to patch those holes to be redrilled? Will standard wood filler work in a marine environment?

Jeez, like others have said, you made it sound like somebody got hurt!

Do NOT use wood filler. G2 is amazing stuff and there are really excellent marine fillers, like PC11. After drilling the holes, I would then thru-bolt through 3" square piece of 1/4" aluminum inside the hull instead of screwing into the epoxy.

It's annoying, but it can be fixed. I'd be more angry than sick. At least he's okay!

Lennyp04
04-24-2008, 04:43 PM
When we took the teak off to solve our water splashing between the boat and teak thing this happened to me. The boat was in the water and I was sliding the teak back down onto the brackets....by myself in about 4 feet of water. The one was lined up and then the other snapped off. We went and got longer SS screws. Just make sure that they will not go thru the top layer so that no one gets cut feet!

TMCNo1
04-24-2008, 05:55 PM
Jeez, like others have said, you made it sound like somebody got hurt!

Do NOT use wood filler. G2 is amazing stuff and there are really excellent marine fillers, like PC11. After drilling the holes, I would then thru-bolt through 3" square piece of 1/4" aluminum inside the hull instead of screwing into the epoxy.

It's annoying, but it can be fixed. I'd be more angry than sick. At least he's okay!

Apparently you did not read post#1, where he explains the screws stripped in the deck, not the hull!

stuartmcnair
04-24-2008, 06:43 PM
we found out last night what happened. It appears someone broke into his boathouse and was attempting to steal the stereo out of the x-star...to get to the tower speakers (the tower is up in the rafters when it is on the lift) they tried to lower the boat. When they did that the deck caught on the garage door and the entire weight ot the boat was on those screws. My guess is it made a heck of a racket on the garage door and they got scared and left. All they managed to do to the stereo was get things unplugged.

So now my buddy and I are going to install an alarm with at least two sirens in it.

Anyone have any suggestions as to brand?

TMCNo1
04-24-2008, 07:34 PM
Colt and Smith&Wesson!

x-10ron
04-24-2008, 07:41 PM
Colt and Smith&Wesson!

come on No1, you need to catch up with the times,
glock and springfield armory!!!!:D

uawaterskier
04-24-2008, 08:35 PM
we found out last night what happened. It appears someone broke into his boathouse and was attempting to steal the stereo out of the x-star...to get to the tower speakers (the tower is up in the rafters when it is on the lift) they tried to lower the boat. When they did that the deck caught on the garage door and the entire weight ot the boat was on those screws. My guess is it made a heck of a racket on the garage door and they got scared and left. All they managed to do to the stereo was get things unplugged.

So now my buddy and I are going to install an alarm with at least two sirens in it.

Anyone have any suggestions as to brand?
ive had more stuff stolen in this town than anywhere else, doesn't surprise me at all...

TMCNo1
04-24-2008, 09:37 PM
come on No1, you need to catch up with the times,
glock and springfield armory!!!!:D

What the hell ever, just shoot the astards, they would never do it again!

stuartmcnair
04-24-2008, 10:55 PM
Harold,

You're gonna love this. The pistol he kept hidden in the boathouse for snakes....stolen.

:rolleyes:

Lennyp04
04-24-2008, 11:19 PM
Wow, I hope the snakes get that idiot! Looks like its time to buy 2 guns and put some chairs in the rafters for them dumba$$e$ to come back!

TMCNo1
04-25-2008, 07:37 AM
Harold,

You're gonna love this. The pistol he kept hidden in the boathouse for snakes....stolen.

:rolleyes:

They must have grabbed it out of their hand while they were asleep waiting for the snakes!:D