PDA

View Full Version : Digital Camera

mastercraft1995
04-21-2008, 03:20 PM
How does this sound for $1280? The package of sold separately would be about $1750. I would still have to buy a bag that is about $100 and a flash some day.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom before I purchase this? I'm going to use it for sports. I don't plan on becoming a pro or anything like that. Just a hobby.

I don't think I need anything else to get started right?

* Nikon D80 Digital SLR Camera Body
* Accessories:
o 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED AF-S
Zoom-NIKKOR Lens
o Lithium-ion Rechargeable Battery
o Quick Charger
o Audio/Video Cable
o USB Cable
o Strap
o LCD Monitor Cover
o PictureProject CD-Rom
* Bonus Accessories:
o55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED AF-S
DX VR Zoom-NIKKOR Lens with optical image stabilization
o 2GB ATP 80x SD Card

76S&S
04-21-2008, 04:12 PM
I don't know the Nikon products so I can't really say but; who is the seller?

There are some online sellers that I would stay away from regardless of price. There are others that stand behind the sale 100%.

There is a site,which I can't find at the moment, that will give you their recent satisfaction rating. It is a nice tool for researching online sellers.

Maybe someone else here knows the site that I'm referring to?

stuartmcnair
04-21-2008, 04:49 PM
you say for sports...what kinds of sports and on what level? It depends on what you really need out of the camera. The body is not nearly as important as the lenses and those two lenses would not be a good fit for fast action.

mastercraft1995
04-21-2008, 04:55 PM
It was from Costco.

I'm new to the whole SLR thing. I went and talked to a camera shop today at lunch and I think I've narrowed my search down to a

D60 or Rebel XTI with the kit lens 18-55 VR and the 70-300 IS lens. For sports it's going to be water sports of course, football, baseball, snowboarding stuff like that.

I'm leaning towards the D60.

He told me the lens is far more important that the body.

betsy&david Harrison
04-21-2008, 04:56 PM
My canon 870 Series does it all and it was now where near that price tag. You should see some of the pics it takes...

just ask a few of my friends :D

betsy&david Harrison
04-21-2008, 04:58 PM
By the way... who took my sunglasses?? You know which ones... the funny valentine ones??

You know who you are!!

stuartmcnair
04-21-2008, 05:32 PM
you should buy mine. It's in the marketplace.

:)

Canon 10D (http://www.tmcowners.com/market/showproduct.php?product=1948&cat=11)

LKNMC
04-21-2008, 05:35 PM
Nikon Rules

bigmac
04-21-2008, 05:39 PM
The D80 is nice camera and with that 18-135 lens it should work well for outdoor sports. You will want to consider post processing software. In that regard, I'd recommend Adobe Photoshop Elements, or Nikon Capture NX. Elements will do fine if you're shooting jpegs, I think Capture NX does a better job with RAW images.

I disagree that the lens is more important than the body. It's true that a crappy lens (that lens isn't crappy) may give soft images over part of its range, but the camera body is vastly more important, and in the digital age, will continue to be for a long time. The camera and its capabilities will make or break a photograph far more than the lens these days. The sensor has to white balance correctly and render well with minimal noise in low light, the viewfinder has to show you the scene well, the AF has to track and lock on accurately, the processor VLSIC has to do its job, the ergonomics have to be logical and functional. It used to be that an SLR was just a light-tight box with a lens and a meter and some film inside. The camera didn't matter, the lens did, and especially the film. People argued forever about Velvia vs Kodacolor etc etc, but the bottom line, if you wanted a different look, you just bought a different brand of film. NOW, it's all about the sensor and the camera's processing electronics. I disagree with those who say the lens is more important. They're repeating an old saw from more than a decade ago. They don't understand digital photography. In the consumer line of cameras and lenses, the camera body is EVERYTHING.

stuartmcnair
04-21-2008, 05:43 PM
bigmac, have you tried Adobe Lightroom yet? I got it recently and really like it. Makes the initial exposure, brightness and contrast corrections easy with sliders. Once you are dne with those corrections it's one click to edit the image in Photoshop. You should try it, they have a beta download available.

bigmac
04-21-2008, 06:06 PM
bigmac, have you tried Adobe Lightroom yet? I got it recently and really like it. Makes the initial exposure, brightness and contrast corrections easy with sliders. Once you are dne with those corrections it's one click to edit the image in Photoshop. You should try it, they have a beta download available.

I only shoot RAW, and I've been disappointed with ACR in CS3 compared to Capture NX. IIUC, Lightroom still uses ACR. I do like the interface in ACR with CS3 - the sliders are nice and the interface is better (I think Capture NX is klunky, to say the least), but editing the RAW images are better in CNX. If I'm doing JPEGs, such as sending them off for printing, I'll do the initial editing in CNX, save them as big JPEGs, then crop to size and up-rez (if necessary) in CS3.

That's a cumbersome workflow but I"m not a high-volume photographer, so it works for me.

Thanks for the tip, though. I probably will download the trial and give the whole package a try.

76S&S
04-21-2008, 06:07 PM
It was from Costco.

I'm new to the whole SLR thing. I went and talked to a camera shop today at lunch and I think I've narrowed my search down to a

D60 or Rebel XTI with the kit lens 18-55 VR and the 70-300 IS lens. For sports it's going to be water sports of course, football, baseball, snowboarding stuff like that.

I'm leaning towards the D60.

He told me the lens is far more important that the body.

I think you are safe with Costo.........:D

I have the Rebel and am very happy with it. I'm not a pro by any shot.......nor are my lenses but we have really enjoyed this camera.

djhuff
04-21-2008, 06:19 PM
I've been through the Cannon, Nikon debate. I couldn't find one reason to get one over the other feature wise, or price wise. I got the Nikon because it was bigger, and felt better in my hands. The entry level Nikon lenses tend to be of a little higher quality than the Canon lenses, but once you are past that, they are very equal.

stuartmcnair
04-21-2008, 06:25 PM
I've been through the Cannon, Nikon debate. I couldn't find one reason to get one over the other feature wise, or price wise. I got the Nikon because it was bigger, and felt better in my hands. The entry level Nikon lenses tend to be of a little higher quality than the Canon lenses, but once you are past that, they are very equal.

That is about it in a nutshell. The Nikon feels much better in the hands than the Canon in the entry level models. I prefer the Canon once you get into the prosumer and pro range but that is just my choice (many arguments for and against both). I do not like the Rebel or the D40's but above that they are all pretty solid.

mastercraft1995
04-21-2008, 06:57 PM
I think I'm going to go with the:
Nikon d60
18-55 vr lens, it comes with the camera
70-300 vr lens
2 gig memory card
Bag
For about $1340

Or should I get a different lens than the kit one? It would have to be something cheap like the 18-55 is.

stuartmcnair
04-21-2008, 11:44 PM
I think I'm going to go with the:
Nikon d60
18-55 vr lens, it comes with the camera
70-300 vr lens
2 gig memory card
Bag
For about $1340

Or should I get a different lens than the kit one? It would have to be something cheap like the 18-55 is.

you should be good with those. You are covered from 18-300 so that will do most anything you need. Check Sam's for this package. I was in there Saturday and they had the D60 Kit for much less than that. Might save you some money. One more bit of advice. Make sure you have a VERY good memory card. That is not the place to save money. I only use the Sandisk Ultra and Extreme cards and I format before every use. I lost a whole half of a football game to a corrupted card and I won't let that happen again. I keep four 2GB cards with me when I work so I always have enough but I don't put everything on one card. If I lose one card that is only about a third of my total shots so I can salvage the day.

Willski
04-21-2008, 11:58 PM
What do you think makes the cards get corrupted? I've never run into that, but I don't take that many pics, so, maybe use?

bigmac
04-22-2008, 12:16 AM
you should be good with those. You are covered from 18-300 so that will do most anything you need. Check Sam's for this package. I was in there Saturday and they had the D60 Kit for much less than that. Might save you some money. One more bit of advice. Make sure you have a VERY good memory card. That is not the place to save money. I only use the Sandisk Ultra and Extreme cards and I format before every use. I lost a whole half of a football game to a corrupted card and I won't let that happen again. I keep four 2GB cards with me when I work so I always have enough but I don't put everything on one card. If I lose one card that is only about a third of my total shots so I can salvage the day.

I agree about the memory cards. I've been using SanDisk Exteme IV 4 gig cards in my D3 and they work well. That camera has dual memory slots so you can either fill one card then the next, or write simultaneously to both cards. That D3 is awful fast, so it needs faster cards. I couldn't justify the Ducatis though, and I'm not really sure that they're much faster than the IV's.

I use 4 gig cards because I don't want to lose 8 gigs worth of images if one of them craps out. I format them in the camera before every use too.

The cards might get corrupted by the same process that any digital electronic component goes bad. Repeated on-off cycles, power cycling etc, and one day your little bit of silicon, whatever job it's doing, just goes *poof*

atlfootr
04-22-2008, 01:19 AM
Nikon Rules
Says YOU :rolleyes:
CANON says me :D

phecksel
04-22-2008, 12:48 PM
I will jump in to the fray too, LOL

Nikon Rules... unless you're getting into the super expensive lenses, then generally better off with canon.

Good camera choice, it will serve you well.

Lens, I'd rather see 18-200vr as the starter lens. It's the one lens I regret not owning... may fix that soon.

Second the Photoshop Elements, very difficult to run out of things to do with elements. I've never warmed up to Nikon NX, I'm still using NC, which imo is a much easier program to use. If you learn nothing else, learn how to UnSharpMask with the software of choice.

Figure out how you're going to organize 25,000 photos! Nothing worse then trying to organize when you have a ton of unorganized files.

Lot of good helpful advice at nikoncafe.com.

Anybody know the write speed of the D80? Doesn't make a lot of sense to spend money on cards that write faster then the camera.

When you buy a flash, try to go straight to the SB-800. It's an amazing flash. My youngest can always pick us out in a crowd, she sees a bunch of little lights and then my super nova goes off, LOL.

stuartmcnair
04-22-2008, 01:45 PM
That is probably the hardest thing about getting into high end cameras. It is best to go big early. Buying the least expensive flash will just make you want the most expensive. I have the Canon 580 EX. Almost bought the 430 EX until I tried a friends 550. It was a no brainer after that.

Scot
04-22-2008, 03:21 PM
The price seems good.... If Costco's return policy is whre you could return it if something is wrong, (out of box failure), then you should be ok. Another post reccomends the 18-200 vr.... I would agree.

on the nikon vs cannon debate.... I own an old Nikon D70 with one 2.8 lens and a couple of other lesser quality lens with the SB800 flash. I've taken thousands of pics... and have never had any problems. The only reason I went Nikon was becasue I had lens from my old film Nikon N70, and i bought it from a friend who was upgrading to the Nikon D200 at the time.

I have another friend that purchased the starter Cannon Rebel kit and within 30 days he upgraded to the Cannon 40d, then he went out and bought a couple top of the line Cannon lens. After shooting the 40D, I considered changing my set-up to Cannon, but then I went out and purchased a new Nikon 2.8 lens for a shoot .... ($1000.000)... So now I am sticking with Nikon for the next body upgrade...

If I had it to do all over again, I would probably go Cannon for no other reason than it seems to be the camera of choice for pros. (which I am not) But I also enjoying having a Mastercraft when I don't even ski very well...

Although if I where in your shoes, I would GLADLY slip into the D80 with a nice lens.... Again, I would consider the 18-200vr for the first lens. It is said to be one of the best travel/ all around lens available.

MIght check out BH video.com.... and DPreview.com

this wasn't much help, was it .... I'm out

bigmac
04-22-2008, 04:01 PM
My problem with the 18-200 VR is that it's a DX lens. Yes, I agree that Nikon will likely support the DX format for years, but I predict that any of you Nikon users that take photos as more than snapshots (ie...someone who would spend $750 on a camera lens) will be looking hard at a full-frame FX Nikon sometime within the warranty period of that lens.

Capture NX...unbelievably bad interface, but it is clearly superior to Capture and to CS3 in its handling of NEF images.

Canon vs Nikon? Don't get me started. It's a horse apiece. One will leapfrog the other and keep doing that back and forth until they both develop full frame cameras that have better resolving power and dynamic range than the human eye. Until then, it makes absolutely zero difference. Professionals? Works great as a sales point for basketball shoes, but one would hope that......never mind. It might be an issue if you're looking to buy a 600mm telephoto lens for $8000. Then, the Canon may be a better choice because of its stabilization. That's a totally irrelevant issue to 98% of all photographers.

stuartmcnair
04-22-2008, 04:45 PM
I think bigmac and I have had that argument. I have a 40D and love it. I like the Canon's better than the Nikons but mainly because the pro photographers I work with and shoot with (and share lenses with) use Canon.

My best friend has a Nikon D70 and it shoots just fine but it had some technical issues. There is nothing wrong with the camera line and Nikon fixed it quickly and without hassle. If the choice is between Nikon and Canon I don't think you can really go wrong.

Full frame is obviously better but not many amatuers will shell out $3,000 for a camera body.

mastercraft1995
04-22-2008, 04:54 PM
So I went with the
Nikon D80
18-55 VR
70-300 VR
2 gig card
extra battery
lens covers
bag, I can already tell I want another one for carrying around while not skiing.
Since I'm going to take it in the boat and snow ski with it I got the 4 year protection plan. I usually don't but the extended warranty but decide to get it.

Thanks for all the info.

djhuff
04-22-2008, 05:08 PM
Enjoy. Take some time to get used to it, and buy a book about it (should be some books out there about just that camera, that also gives photography tips.) I bought one for my D50, basically walked me through how to take pictures in certain situations, while telling me exactly where the buttons on the camera were.

Took some AMAZING pictures skiing in Tahoe this past year.

Scot
04-22-2008, 05:18 PM
[QUOTE=bigmac]My problem with the 18-200 VR is that it's a DX lens. Yes, I agree that Nikon will likely support the DX format for years, but I predict that any of you Nikon users that take photos as more than snapshots (ie...someone who would spend $750 on a camera lens) will be looking hard at a full-frame FX Nikon sometime within the warranty period of that lens.

QUOTE]

excellent point..... I just bought the DX 18-55 2.8 because i needed the wide angle and large app... but now that you mention it, I would not spend big money on a non full frame lens....

phecksel
04-22-2008, 09:33 PM
the last camera bag you'll ever own
http://products.lowepro.com/product/SlingShot-200-AW,2035,4.htm

Nice set up, experiment with all the different settings, you have a LOT of capability in that camera.