PDA

View Full Version : x-9 Porpoise

lrutherford
04-21-2008, 03:15 PM
I bought a 2001 x-9 last year (first mastercraft) so far no major troubles. However once I get past 3/4 throttle the starts bouncing something fierce. Cruises smooth up until then, usually about 32 mph but after that it all goes to heck. Any ideas on what may be causing this and how to fix it. I am not sure what prop I have on it. I have ridden in a few other MC's and this hasn't happened.

Thanks

Sodar
04-21-2008, 03:20 PM
I bought a 2001 x-9 last year (first mastercraft) so far no major troubles. However once I get past 3/4 throttle the starts bouncing something fierce. Cruises smooth up until then, usually about 32 mph but after that it all goes to heck. Any ideas on what may be causing this and how to fix it. I am not sure what prop I have on it. I have ridden in a few other MC's and this hasn't happened.

Thanks

Does this happen when you are full of ballast?

wakeX2wake
04-21-2008, 03:24 PM
too much weight in the back of the boat will do it everytime... more weight in the front... if the weight is supposed to be out then your gages for your ballast may be incorrect

lrutherford
04-21-2008, 03:26 PM
Happens all the time regardless if the ballast is full or empty.

lrutherford
04-21-2008, 03:27 PM
Happens all the time regardless if the ballast is full or empty. I don't have any guages for the ballast. The ballast is just a bag underneath the back seat and you can see if it is empty or full.

Sodar
04-21-2008, 03:31 PM
Sounds like you just need more weight up front. With the shaft angle and motor placement there is no reason why a direct drive boat should ever porpoise. I would try emptying your ballast and putting a person or two of front with the driver. If it still happens, something is definitely wrong. If all is well, then you need to get some weight out of the stern.

Ryan
04-21-2008, 03:38 PM
Call your dealer and ask them about adding 'hook' to the trailing edge of the running surface. The first couple years of 209 production needed a little extra, or in other words, MC modified production a tad to eliminate this from happening.

Other option is to add a Bennett Tab like on the current X2.

jkski
04-21-2008, 03:54 PM
Ryan is dead on...have MC add the hook and your problems will be solved. This was a very common problem with the early 209's but once resolved you will be very happy

DanC
04-21-2008, 06:39 PM
Do a search on 209, hook, porpoise, you'll get a dozen threads on the subject explaining why you need this hook added to the trailing hull edge of a pre-2003 PS209.

lrutherford
04-21-2008, 07:02 PM
Thanks Dan, where do you suggest I look? I spoke to the local dealer and he recommended that I trying doing it myself or they could for about $1200. I might try it myself for that price.

Chas
04-21-2008, 07:52 PM
I have added and removed hook from DD boats used offshore - did it with bondo and a thin coat of f'glass over top. 6 ounce, one layer of closth, three coats to be sure to fill the weave, surface putty on any spots I missed, and a lot of sanding. It always seemed to work fine, though it did not match, in fact it usually looked terrible, but these were/are work boats and performance was the issue not looks. They had bottom paint, so it was all hidden soon enough.

But on a trailered boat which you care about the looks? I might be tempted to let the dealer earn his money on this one.