PDA

View Full Version : Help...Bullet speakers in Gere Marie/MC cans?

Ole Miss Rebels
04-21-2008, 02:12 PM
i want to keep my oem gere marie/mc cans on my boat tower but i am dis-safisfied with the JL speakers on the tower. they sound better than anything i've heard in the cabin but thye don't cut it on the tower. my question is will the Bullet 7.7" HCLD speakers fit in the factory cans on newer mastercraft boats. the jl speakers are 7.7" speakers also. a gentleman at Bullet said that they match up perfectly (the screw holes match up). He said a couple of mastercraft owners had already done it and that the fit was right on the money. If anyone has any info regarding the sound quality of these speakers in a can other than those they were designed for please let me know. I am surprised that more people aren't trying to do this as it would be significantly cheaper than buying all new speakers and enclosures. plus there isn't a prettier can on the market than the Gere Marie/MC can. thanks in advance.

craig3972
04-21-2008, 03:03 PM
i am planning on doing exactly that... replcing the JL's for the hollow points. That way i get to keep my lights in the front of the cans, and they look like original equipment... i was even going to paint the speaker grills white to try to retain as much of the original look of the boat as possible.

Jamie at Bullets told me that i may have to redrill the basket on the speaket to fit, but i was also told that they fit right it.

Those mastercraft cans are machined from a solid billet piece of aluminum... they probably isnt a better enclosure out there than the MC cans. You will however have to seal up the front of the can (where the light is) i used some carefully cut dynamat.

I have not heard the speakers myself, but all my reasearch has led me to believe that they are the best quality sounding of all the HCLD type speakers out there. Thay are still loud, but not to the level of a Wetsounds Pro80 or 485 or an NVS or TSE.

why the name Gere Marie/MC can?

SaltwaterMC
04-21-2008, 03:07 PM
Gere Marie is the company that makes the cans for MC. They produce all the aluminum parts for MC, including the tower, board racks, gauges, etc.

craig3972
04-21-2008, 03:15 PM
seems to me i read an article in a trade publication (CNC machining - Haas) about these guys and Mastercraft. looked like MC were introduced to just in time machining with a Cam system by these guys.

craig3972
04-21-2008, 03:17 PM
here it is
http://www.cncmagazine.com/vol6thru8/v6i21/v6i21h-wakebrd.htm